The "Mustafi & Poor Defending in general" Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Mustafi

Post by Clash »

Wenger has often talked about instilling a culture at the club. He has done just that.

A few years ago our reserve side conceded 10 goals in a game. Although some will dismiss this because it was only the reserves, it confirmed to me that there was no longer any pride at the club when it comes to defending.

We've seen this time and time again in the first team and also when the 2nd string are allowed to play. And we all know nothing will change.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Add Mustafi to the list of idiotic CBs Aw signed:

Vivas
Djourou
Stepanovs
Senderos
Cygan
Tavlaridis
Marshall
Silvestre [Man U double agent deployed as a CB]
Vermaelen
Squillaci
Mertesacker
Chambers
Paulista

Next -Holding.[Another English potential headed form the scrap heap]

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Blade wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 am
Add Mustafi to the list of idiotic CBs Aw signed:

Vivas
Djourou
Stepanovs
Senderos
Cygan
Tavlaridis
Marshall
Silvestre [Man U double agent deployed as a CB]
Vermaelen
Squillaci
Mertesacker
Chambers
Paulista

Next -Holding.[Another English potential headed form the scrap heap]
He has not necessarily signed all idiotic CB''s. ....he has had some decent ones who he has ruined. Our CB''s are hung out to dry as has been mentioned ad nauseum,they get no protection from the midfield. The years and years and years that pundits,fans and commentators have stated that we need a Viera like replacement...

But no........Wenger WILL NOT be told.

Any really good player would be nuts to come to us while Wenger is there.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Our CB''s are hung out to dry
Yeah,e.g playing Chambers at RB against Moreno at Swansea. With Walcott in-front of him.

The whole world could see what was un-raveling -but Chambers was left to suffer for 90mins.

He never recovered from that day.

DB10GOONER

Re: The "Mustafi & Poor Defending in general" Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

This photo says everything about our defending and the lack of proper defensive coaching/discipline;

That looks like something in a kids Under 8's match tbh. :oops: :oops:

General

Post by General »

It is worth remembering that we made it to the CL final setting a defensive record along the way with Eboue and Flamini in the back 4. Keown had a big input in the coaching back then. Within a few years Wenger reversed everything to suit his philosophy and as Dixon mentioned a couple of weeks ago, our problems are unfixable as long as he remains in charge. It's always going to be 1step forward 2 steps back.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 am
This photo says everything about our defending and the lack of proper defensive coaching/discipline;

Exactly what I said yesterday...it's like instinct, they run to where the ball is...look how Monreal has charged inside and left Lingaard :shock: :shock: :shock:

And who is that I see gazing on with his hands tightly wrapped in wooly mittens...that's not that fearless defender Xhaka is it? Or is it "over my dead body" Ramsey strolling up to see if he can perhaps help in any way.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Exactly what I said yesterday...it's like instinct, they run to where the ball is...look how Monreal has charged inside and left Lingaard :shock: :shock: :shock:

And who is that I see gazing on with his hands tightly wrapped in wooly mittens...that's not that fearless defender Xhaka is it? Or is it "over my dead body" Ramsey strolling up to see if he can perhaps help in any way.
Looks too short for Xhaka and too dark-haired for the Welsh Messi-Lite... :rubchin: Looks a bit like Bellerin maybe...? :rubchin: Or are my eyes fucked? :lol:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Well it didn't take long for Mustafi to have a stinker. I should have known better but you live in hope as an Arsenal fan these days.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 am
Well it didn't take long for Mustafi to have a stinker. I should have known better but you live in hope as an Arsenal fan these days.
TBH and despite the occasional hysteria on here Mustafi is not a shit defender. He's not world class either by any stretch of the imagination, but for me he is about average for the PL - he'll have good games and poor games. The problem is we don't have a defensive system or coaching that can help limit the amount of poor games he has.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
TBH and despite the occasional hysteria on here Mustafi is not a shit defender. He's not world class either by any stretch of the imagination, but for me he is about average for the PL - he'll have good games and poor games. The problem is we don't have a defensive system or coaching that can help limit the amount of poor games he has.
I think technically he's OK and when he's up for it, as against the Scum, he looks good, but he's got this Beckenbauer complex. Ever since he's been here he's tried running upfield with the ball, but he's not got the skill. Kos does the same. I presume AW tells them to do it, or at least lets them do it.
Additionally, they're always prone to a momentous fuck-up.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
I think technically he's OK and when he's up for it, as against the Scum, he looks good, but he's got this Beckenbauer complex. Ever since he's been here he's tried running upfield with the ball, but he's not got the skill. Kos does the same. I presume AW tells them to do it, or at least lets them do it.
Xhaka needs to shoulder some, if not most of the blame for that goal....Xhaka was under pressure so he plays it back to Mustafi who started moving across the field with the same player who was pressurising Xhaka now hot on his ass. And Mustafi found nobody made themselves available for the ball, he subsequently lost it and the rest....................

As DB said, he is not all bad, neither is Kos, coached properly they could probably be very good. They are no worse than a lot of CB's in the PL, the others just play in a more structured set up, are disciplined and generally cover each other.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Move examples for 'defending'.Organised by Bould?

augie

Post by augie »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Xhaka needs to shoulder some, if not most of the blame for that goal....Xhaka was under pressure so he plays it back to Mustafi who started moving across the field with the same player who was pressurising Xhaka now hot on his ass. And Mustafi found nobody made themselves available for the ball, he subsequently lost it and the rest....................

As DB said, he is not all bad, neither is Kos, coached properly they could probably be very good. They are no worse than a lot of CB's in the PL, the others just play in a more structured set up, are disciplined and generally cover each other.

And if he turns backwards and plays the simple backpass to helmet head, the fcuk up doesn't happen - mustafi had enough time to get rid but he hesitated looking for the forward pass (as wanka expects his defenders to create too :roll: ), but even when he seen it wasn't on, he still had enough time to pass back to cech. One of the many problems with our players is that they believe that they are better footballers than they actually are, and that clown was too cock sure that he was gonna be able to play football in that situation, that being practical and moving it quicker, never entered his head :evil:

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Isn't there a very similar picture from West Brom away last season?
Lesson are never learnt which is why we have no chance of winning the title with Wenger.

EDIT - This was the one: