The London Stadium fiasco and the upstart bubble

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Pattiericer

The London Stadium fiasco and the upstart bubble

Post by Pattiericer »

Regarding West Ham forever blowing bubbles, just how much of a bubble have they blown with regard to the rise and rise of West Ham in London, with respect to the other clubs and the various London boroughs and their taxpayers out of pocket regarding the London Stadium fiasco?

Why have Newham Council been given £750 million football money from the 32 other borough's taxpayers, to try and lift what is a localized club beyond their general fair-to-middling place among the football clubs of the UK (not one league title to boast of or even a second place in the top division.)

One wonders how this story might have panned out in Madrid, if Rayo Vallecano had been on a similar rise with intent to become a supreme football 'super power,' or Salgueiros in Porto from their Paranhos base, or even Partick Thistle in Glasgow.

I wonder how much Spurs are paying to rent Wembley per season and how this compares to West Ham's rent of the London Stadium, perhaps as a guideline, now that the Mayor of London has taken control of the London Stadium until further notice.

If there is to be a rise and rise of a localized London club, then the West End boys of Brentford look better placed than the East End boys of West Ham. After all, they have their own airport regarding their geographical closeness to Heathrow and the chance to hire a 90,000 seat stadium with no apparent history regarding legitimacy of construction and sport-use remit.

It didn't work for Queens Park Rangers at White City nor Queens Park at Hampden, never mind the ill-fated Thames F.C. and their reported 100,000 capacity dog's stadium.

If the London Stadium issue were to unravel further, regarding the various London borough taxpayers and any future legal challenges, then West Ham might find they are without any kind of future, having dispensed with their local base and the Boleyn ground, in fact stuffed forever and back to being what they were before the 60's.

Instead of building fake sand castles behind the new-build super stand, they had enough land to build half-of Wembley anyway (almost.) Regarding other potential expansions of the Boleyn ground, the nearby housing was only constructed in the 60's so there was ample opportunity for development along the lines of Anfield and it wouldn't have been such a big deal to re-think the tube station congestion problem in relation to safety and crowd management.

The fact that they didn't makes one wonder just what kind of club it really is, regarding their fan base and their pretty sand castle construction fantasies.

Certainly not much compared to the Gunners and their massive history and international standing among the world's elite.

AkneyGooner

Re: The London Stadium fiasco and the upstart bubble

Post by AkneyGooner »

It's both funny and also infuriating, I live in hackney, which is close to Stratford I've never really felt any of the investment of the Olympics

And that orbital thing just looks like a crain has collapsed.

I've always thought not in my name, not with my tax money if either spurs or wham got to use it

Man city got a free stadium as well, then got bought out by a fucking country!!! They then set about offering our players double your wages offers to join them, and their fans boycotted our stadium due to inflated prices, the stadium AFC built with no national tax help. The irony seemed to be missed by the main stream Media.

I mean I support the premises of cheaper tickets but ... :)

Both teams gifts piss me off, my local pubs now have wannabe be wham hooligans in them now on matchdays.

Football is going/gone to shit

We live in a world of cronie capitalism, and I guess our game was not going to go untouched forever

At least its funny that they are as shit as ever

Clubs seem to getting screwed over with debt or have become playtgings of billionaires with money similar to the GDP of small countries, or actually owned by countries.

I think for wham and The arsenal right now we are in the getting screwed over side of this, we are managed by the only billionaire who won't spend and may end up remortgage the stadium.. And wham don't even have one to remortgage :)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wham are murdering cúnts and I'd love to see them get relegated and then go into liquidation. Fuck them. :x :evil: :censored:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm
Wham are murdering cúnts and I'd love to see them get relegated and then go into liquidation. Fuck them. :x :evil: :censored:
There is a very good chance that they could free fall through all divisions, I just pray that those in charge of West Ham see it through!.... :lol: