champions league.. its shit.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
AkneyGooner

champions league.. its shit.

Post by AkneyGooner »

Now that this year arsenal are not in it, I have to say the thing is shit, I don't know why neutrals would watch anything other than the last legs of the knock out ties, and the final.

sk-gtfo

Re: champions league.. its shit.

Post by sk-gtfo »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 am
Now that this year arsenal are not in it, I have to say the thing is shit, I don't know why neutrals would watch anything other than the last legs of the knock out ties, and the final.
That's a bit biased mate, it was just as shit when we were in it!.

It is shit though I agree, it is just like the PL and the Spanish league, German league, Italian league... all the clubs with the most £££ generally win it 9 times out of 10, I guess football was like that to some extent 15,20,30 years ago but it is certainly more the case today, only a matter of time until PSG/City win it and then that will be another one or two shit clubs with no history who can tease us like Chelsea.

Basically it's not so much just the CL that is shit, it's football in general at the 'highest' level, so utterly corrupted by money that it is detached from reality which is why I think a lot of the passion from real fans is waning, to be replaced by day trippers and Malaysian superfans, or so the clubs hope...

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

With the exception of Chelsea, every other English team has won its group...
Has to be said, this year has to be one of the strongest English challenges for the Champions League, and actually shows how we are limping behind...
Cannot see Arsenal back at the top table for a while, and as for the Europa League, well clubs like Napoli will soon add their weight.... :shock:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

I see the media are wanking themselves stupid over the "English" clubs' success with their arab, American and Russian owners and their Spanish, Argentinian,.Portuguese, Italian and German managers and 90% foreign squads :roll:

At least the Spanish and the Germans maintain some kind of local pride element.

General

Post by General »

It's more enjoyable without the farce we usually create on our way to limping out in the last 16.

All the PL teams are clued on tactically so it's going to be an interesting last 16.

General

Post by General »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:09 am
I see the media are wanking themselves stupid over the "English" clubs' success with their arab, American and Russian owners and their Spanish, Argentinian,.Portuguese, Italian and German managers and 90% foreign squads :roll:

Our net spend and wage bill is right up there with Chelsea's and significantly above Liverpool's.

Local pride element?

General

Post by General »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 am
With the exception of Chelsea, every other English team has won its group...
Has to be said, this year has to be one of the strongest English challenges for the Champions League, and actually shows how we are limping behind...
Cannot see Arsenal back at the top table for a while, and as for the Europa League, well clubs like Napoli will soon add their weight.... :shock:
Chelsea were in a tricky group as well and it looks like they will be paired with Bayern or Barcelona in the last 16.

I never for once believed this unpredictable lot could win the Europa Cup. Too many streetwise teams dropping down from the CL and would relish putting us out of our misery.

Leyton Gooner

Post by Leyton Gooner »

General wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Our net spend and wage bill is right up there with Chelsea's and significantly above Liverpool's.

Local pride element?
Yes the likes of Bayern and Barca at least have players, managers and owners from the area or at least the same country.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's been shit since it went to a money format - oops sorry, I meant league format.... um, actually...

:roll: :banghead: :censored:

markyp

Post by markyp »

Leyton Gooner wrote:

isn't it funny when we were in our pomp under wenger everybody moaned that we aren't even English anymore yet today its acceptable

General

Post by General »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm
General wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Local pride element?
Yes the likes of Bayern and Barca at least have players, managers and owners from the area or at least the same country.
State funded Barcelona? Purist argument doesn't wash I'm afraid. The game has moved on.

Same Arsenal fans criticising sugar daddy clubs were calling for Usmanov to take over. Mindboggling.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

General wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:29 pm
Same Arsenal fans criticising sugar daddy clubs were calling for Usmanov to take over. Mindboggling.
I still want Usmanov if it's him or Wiggy, who will ensure we spend the next 30 years in mediocrity like all his shit "sports franchises", I just wish the game wasn't as poisoned by c**ts like wiggy yanks, oligarchs and middle eastern oil money, sadly it's too late for that which is why its a case of "if you can't beat them.." for me.

Leyton Gooner

Post by Leyton Gooner »

General wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm
General wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Local pride element?
State funded Barcelona? Purist argument doesn't wash I'm afraid. The game has moved on.

I don't give a toss whether we're owned by a wiggy yank an Uzbekistani oligarch or an arab oil tycoon. Modern football has lost it's soul and I want no part of it.

General

Post by General »

Modern football is an extension of society in general. You're fighting a losing battle.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The minute they bloated it by letting in teams finishing as low as 4th and dragging that boring fucking group stage out over 3 months it was doomed. Nothing beats knockout football but that doesn't start until late February and even then there are few memorable last 16 games as its usually top vs second and more predictable results. The FA Cup has the winning formula which is why its such a shame teams neglect the competition - you get Liverpool v Everton right at the start, but also Doncaster v Rochdale - no seedings, no stupid rules about not playing teams from the same area etc. Open draw, straight knockout

The CL will never go that way because the greedy bastards that run it and the greedy owners who fill it demand their guaranteed £30m from the group stage and six game prize money, sponsorship deals etc. Imagine if you went with Barcelona v Real Madrid right at the start, but had one of the smaller teams like Qarabag getting some lucky draws and getting through to the QFs. Would make the thing 100 times better but isn't ever going to happen, so we're stuck with predictable drawn out groups and a boring round of 16. Only the QFs onwards become interesting and we'll never get to that stage again under Shit for Brains anyway