The Fallen Ones

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

The Fallen Ones

Post by supergeorgegraham »

If your bored of reapeating the same old Arsenal story have a break. This is for the teams who have dropped out of Premier League life and will they ever return.
My chosen 2 teams are Nottingham Forest and Leeds United. Both have a connection with the great Brian Clough.
I was too young to understand how amazing their back to back European Cups were but I know now. Once they were relegated in Cloughs last season they made a brief comeback but have fallen into the void now. I can only see them returning with some sort of financial backing so it's not looking likely anytime soon but with 2 European Cups surely they are one of the fallen ones.
Leeds gambled and lost on investing in the team and it very nearly completely destroyed them. Winners of the last Division 1 title and early flyers in the new Premier League. A large fan base and years in no mans land.
Finally they have crawled back up the Championship and it's likely we will see a return in the next few years. Leeds are a scary reminder that no matter how big you are, football and finance can destroy almost any club.
Wenger is a twat to add an Arsenal ending.

DB10GOONER

Re: The Fallen Ones

Post by DB10GOONER »

:lol: I just gotta..... :lol:

:moderator: VANITY THREAD ALERT!! :moderator: AWWOOOOOGGGAAAAHHHH!! :moderator: VANITY THREAD ALERT!! :moderator:

Also;

Dirty Leeds are cúnts. Fuck 'em. Thank you. 8)

augie

Post by augie »

Coventry City will always have a place in my heart after the 87 cup final win against a scum team that was expected to win easy - the fact that the winning goal came via captain mabbutt only served to heighten my joy :lol: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf:
For me they are the least likely to return of all the former top flight clubs - no ground, no money and a totally disenfranchised fanbase, suggests that they are gone for a long, long time

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Chelsea almost went the way of Leeds, if it wasn't for the dodgy Russian they would have done, of course because of where they are they lucked out, I'm not sure many oligarch's would like to position themselves in the grim northern city of Leeds!.

Sad really because at least if they swapped places all the clubs better than us over the last decade would at least be outside of London and the south of England.

We are kind of in limbo, stuck in no mans land, Kroenke won't bankrupt us but he won't invest a penny either, he will just kill us slowly through lack of interest and ambition. Doomed to an eternity of midtable to 4th place finishes.

We are so damn ungrateful!!!.

:roll:

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

I can think of one club who could drop out of the top flight if things keep going the way they are :hmmthink:

augie

Post by augie »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 pm
Chelsea almost went the way of Leeds, if it wasn't for the dodgy Russian they would have done, of course because of where they are they lucked out, I'm not sure many oligarch's would like to position themselves in the grim northern city of Leeds!.

Sad really because at least if they swapped places all the clubs better than us over the last decade would at least be outside of London and the south of England.

We are kind of in limbo, stuck in no mans land, Kroenke won't bankrupt us but he won't invest a penny either, he will just kill us slowly through lack of interest and ambition. Doomed to an eternity of midtable to 4th place finishes.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think that it was mathew harding that saved them from going bankrupt - the dodgy russian came along afterwards, when the club had stabilised and harding had died. They named the stand after him as an acknowledgement that he saved them from going under, but they again showed their lack of class by removing his name from the stand and practically wiping his name from existence :roll: :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 pm

I think (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think that it was mathew harding that saved them from going bankrupt - the dodgy russian came along afterwards, when the club had stabilised and harding had died. They named the stand after him as an acknowledgement that he saved them from going under, but they again showed their lack of class by removing his name from the stand and practically wiping his name from existence :roll: :censored:
Kinda true, in that Harding saved them initially, but the Russian Gangsta then paid off their massive outstanding debt. He also "saved" them because they were one month from defaulting on a loan repayment when he gave them his "loan".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -debt.html

By 2015 the chav "owed" the Gangsta over £1billion.... :censored:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2458 ... ubs-future

:censored:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

greengooner wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm
I can think of one club who could drop out of the top flight if things keep going the way they are :hmmthink:
Arsenal will never drop out of the top flight.
the money in the game is so huge now that the top teams are almost too big to fail nowadays.
unfortunately for them Leeds and Forest failed at the wrong time, and it will now be hard for them to get back up and competitive in the PL again.

forget all this crap about the PL being competitive, it is becoming the most predictable league in Europe.
If City have a good manager they win, simple as that. the top 6 are now pretty much set, although I reckon that Wenger is going to give it a good go this season to get out of it!

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 pm
the money in the game is so huge now that the top teams are almost too big to fail nowadays.
unfortunately for them Leeds and Forest failed at the wrong time, and it will now be hard for them to get back up and competitive in the PL again.

forget all this crap about the PL being competitive, it is becoming the most predictable league in Europe.
If City have a good manager they win, simple as that. the top 6 are now pretty much set, although I reckon that Wenger is going to give it a good go this season to get out of it!
Yeah and conversely Man Utd timed their success at just the right time to capitalise on the 'globalisation' of football, they should have dropped off once the golden generation went over the hill but because of the money they had they could buy the likes of Ferdinand and Rooney at £30M which at the time was beyond everyone else, until the dirty money started flowing at Chavski and Etihad FC.

I don't think the PL is competitive but then again look at the Bundesliga, Spain and France, all very predictable, who the feck is going to challenge P$G in France?!, Monaco are owned by a 'moderate' level oligarch but can't challenge them ffs!.

It was lovely to see Leicester upset the odds but it was a once in 20 year event and aren't they also owned by an Asian billionaire?, hardly that romantic really.. :roll:

Here's hoping the bubble bursts because I think it is time football had a reality check.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

My first ever game at Highbury was v Bristol City,Joe Royal included,they have struggled since 4 relegations I think after 78?

Did any of you know there was Association football played before Wenger arrived in England in the 90s and invented it?

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 pm
greengooner wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Like last season???
Whilst the top 6 are unlikely to change the order they finish isn't a given.

Last year we made 400m yet we make a profit in the transfer window. It isn't that we can't compete, it is we choose not to.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:35 pm
:lol: I just gotta..... :lol:

:moderator: VANITY THREAD ALERT!! :moderator: AWWOOOOOGGGAAAAHHHH!! :moderator: VANITY THREAD ALERT!! :moderator:

Also;

Dirty Leeds are cúnts. Fuck 'em. Thank you. 8)
^This 1,000% ^ May the *word censored*.s be relegated till they no longer exist.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

robbo10 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm
My first ever game at Highbury was v Bristol City,Joe Royal included,they have struggled since 4 relegations I think after 78?

Did any of you know there was Association football played before Wenger arrived in England in the 90s and invented it?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Blasphemous Ingrate! BURN Him! :box:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

To be frank, FUCK LEEDS. Revie's team were a bunch of thugs taking turns to cripple opponents then let their one talented player score a goal. The scumbags even erected a statue to the main thug. One of my favourite sports pictures was of Bremner coming up against a proper hard man in Dave Mackay who lifted him up by the scruff of his scumbag neck. The look on Bremner's weasly face said "please don't hurt me!". I have rejoiced in their demise and am disappointed they're not extinct.
I'd be happy to see Ipswich come back, always liked going there.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

There are several teams who have won the league more recently than our beloved neighbours , now lingering in the lower reaches

Ipswich
Derby
Forest
Leeds
Villa
Blackburn