Nottingham Forest (A) | FA Cup R3 | Sun 7 Jan 16:00 | BT Sport

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
flash gunner

Re: Nottingham Forest (A) | FA Cup R3 | Sun 7 Jan 16:00 | BT Sport

Post by flash gunner »

The (wrongly given) second penalty changed the match

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:21 am
When you think Arsenal cannot reach newer depths along comes a game like this. This is as embarrassing as Wrexham and York . This is worse as in Wrexham and York the stars were aligned against us, York,dodgy penalty on a pitch that " if it was a racecourse the races would have been abandoned " to quote someone at the time .Wrexham was awful but we to a degree we were stitched up by a referee who was enjoying the occasion.
Yesterday was none of those, it was a deserved humiliation. The lineup and more specifically the bench was criminal..What are Arsenal resting players for? A non existent title challengers? An assault on the Europa League knockout stages? A Cup semi final of a competition that the manager has no interest in?
There is nothing to say about the game that hasn't already been said.Wenger and his apologists bleated enough about his recent FA Cup record now they all have to accept that he was massively at fault yesterday.
There is only one trophy Wenger and Arsenal are interested in this season and that is 4th place. It is the overriding factor in their season and the only one, above all else, that matters.
Every other competition will take 2nd place to top 4.
Sad as it is, you know that was the sole topic of conversation that Kroenke had with the French bloke, when he got him to sign that new contract last summer.

Clash

Post by Clash »

I hear Wenger said that blaming the team selection for this result would be too easy. He pointed out that we had 9 internationals on the pitch.

In other words, he is really saying dont blame me, blame the players :roll:

The fact is he doesnt need the FA Cup this year, like he did in 2014 and 2017. Notice how last year he fielded far stronger line-ups against the two non-league opponents than he did yesterday. And one of those game was at home.

And why is he resting players anyway? The first choice players have had more rest this year by not playing any of the european games.

As for the game, Forest deserved to win regardless of any referee issues and I am glad for once Wenger didnt embarrass himself further by complaining about the officials. Metersacker on the other hand ... :roll:

Forest actually did their best to give us a helping hand. Missing chances, gifting us a goal and then that baffling back pass in the last few mins. But we were so shit that even then we couldnt capitalise.

Anyone see and hear the away fans singing ''we're fucking shit, we're fucking shit, we're fucking shit, '' ? :lol: Follows on from the Palace game when they were singing ''How shit must you be, we're winning away''.

But at Wenger says, the important thing is to focus on the next game :barscarf:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Where was the hunger or desire from your nine changes Messr Teflon?
The so called expert on Youth fails yet again!
You don't win things with youngsters, unless you are Alex Ferguson.... :lol:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

BTW
Congratulations Nottingham Forest, your youngsters destroyed our millionaires.... :barscarf:
You donated our first team strip to us, can we have your players too?.....

General

Post by General »

SPARKSY wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:21 am
When you think Arsenal cannot reach newer depths along comes a game like this. This is as embarrassing as Wrexham and York . This is worse as in Wrexham and York the stars were aligned against us, York,dodgy penalty on a pitch that " if it was a racecourse the races would have been abandoned " to quote someone at the time .Wrexham was awful but we to a degree we were stitched up by a referee who was enjoying the occasion.
Yesterday was none of those, it was a deserved humiliation. The lineup and more specifically the bench was criminal..What are Arsenal resting players for? A non existent title challengers? An assault on the Europa League knockout stages? A Cup semi final of a competition that the manager has no interest in?
There is nothing to say about the game that hasn't already been said.Wenger and his apologists bleated enough about his recent FA Cup record now they all have to accept that he was massively at fault yesterday.
There is only one trophy Wenger and Arsenal are interested in this season and that is 4th place. It is the overriding factor in their season and the only one, above all else, that matters.
Every other competition will take 2nd place to top 4.
Sad as it is, you know that was the sole topic of conversation that Kroenke had with the French bloke, when he got him to sign that new contract last summer.
I don't buy this argument that he only cares about the top 4. Wenger is smarter than that and the FA Cup has effectively saved his job in recent years. Even if he did he's already lost 5 games in the league and top 4 has looked an uphill task for a while now. He may be picking stronger teams in the league than the cup competitions but that's naturally based on the quality of the opposition and we've played some dross in the Europa which didn't merit a stronger team. Norwich are pants, managerless and that team he picked yesterday should've been good enough to see them off. Also we have a growing injury list with Monreal, Ramsey, Giroud, Kolasinac all unavailable which reduces his options. There'd be more outcry had he played key players and we'd picked up more injuries, It is quite clear our issues go deeper than just a pure team selection issue. Do your homework about this team and back it with a bit of quality and they are there for the taking.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I wonder whether the reason why Ozil, Sanchez and possibly even Jack didn't feature is because we are about to sell them in this window as none of them intend to sign a new contract........

Clash

Post by Clash »

Is this the first FA cup tie to be played where neither team had a proper manager?

Also, until that distant day when we might have a manager and a properly coached team / keeper ... may I suggest to referees that when giving a penalty against us, instead of pointing to the spot, just point to the fucking centre circle.

No need to go through the formality of the player putting the ball in the net. Give the goal and lets get on with the fucking game.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am
I wonder whether the reason why Ozil, Sanchez and possibly even Jack didn't feature is because we are about to sell them in this window as none of them intend to sign a new contract........
Yeah you're possibly right Bob. The Manchester clubs wouldnt have wanted their new signings cup-tied :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 am
Firstly, no one can say Forest didn't deserve the win, even with some refereeing clangers. They were hungry, inventive, adventurous and committed. We were absolute rubbish. They were the better team in every area of the pitch, despite our usual boring pointless possession stats.

For the record, I agree with NB123, it was a double touch on the penno but either way it made no difference to the result.

Worst player for me was Comedy Iwobi. Okay, I know he had some stiff competition from utter garbage like the BGV, Holding, Ospi- actually everyone except AMN, Willock and Nelson who at least tried to spark some adventure and endeavour.

Anyway, back to Comedy Iwobi. Worst, most clueless player I've seen since Comedy Eboue. He reminds me of that 15 year old kid we all knew that was immense at flicks and tricks on a five-a-side indoor football pitch but fucking useless outside in an 11 a-side game. No perception of passing distances or pitch dynamics, tries to dribble through oppo players rather than around them, blindly passes in the general direction of team mates no matter how many oppo players are between him and his intended target. Just fucking awful. :roll:

It's also shameful that Wenger has been let get away with treating a competition like the FA Cup with such disdain. :censored:
Agree about the pen, firstly I thought he kicked the ball into the ground and it bounced up, but watched the vid back on youtube. It's impossible to get the ball going up at that angle unless he kicks the ball against his standing leg. And from one particular still, it looked like exactly that's what actually happened.

Not taking anything away from Forest's performance though, they were awesome. Sometimes as Gooners we need to have a bit of humility and accept we where out-thought tactically (even with all the shit Wenger came out with, when the truth is he fucked up again). Yeah we could have picked a stronger team but an 18-year-old championship striker made mincemeat out of a World Cup winning Central Defender, you gotta respect that.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Irrespective of whether the ball was technically kicked twice for the second penalty, there was no intention to do so - it was completely involuntary.

In the same way that a penalty should not be awarded in the first place if the handball is involuntary or unavoidable , if a "double contact" when the kick is taken is completely unintentional the correct decision should logically be that it is retaken rather than awarding a free-kick to the defending team which bizarrely is what the referee would be required to do under the current law.

So, as the law is a complete ass in this respect......I don't feel the outcome was that rough on us. A retaken penalty against an Arsenal keeper would almost inevitably result in a goal!
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaughingGooner

Post by LaughingGooner »

Wenger haters: 'Winning the Cup 3 times in 4 years means nothing. It's a second rate competition'.

Wenger haters: 'It's a disgrace, we put out such a weakened team against Forest'.

Make up your mind....... :barscarf: :D :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

LaughingGooner wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:06 pm
Wenger haters: 'Winning the Cup 3 times in 4 years means nothing. It's a second rate competition'.

Wenger haters: 'It's a disgrace, we put out such a weakened team against Forest'.

:) It is a fair enough to mention this contradiction .... but Wenger has contradicted himself over the importance of the FA cup many times too.

The FA Cup is a competition most of us still love. I would never call it a second rate competition but it is treated like one by people in the game - very much including Wenger, despite his record in it.

It also has to be accepted that winning it is doesnt mean you are a good side. Wigan won it in 2013 and got relegated. Man United won it in 2016 and their manager was sacked because he didnt get a CL place.

I am guilty of not enjoying the recent cup final wins as much as I should have .... but its because I felt 2014 and 2017 came at a price. And the price was what we witnessed yesterday and at many other games this season.

General

Post by General »

LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 pm
Maybe. But, don't get confused with people who respect the CLUB and don't want to air dirty washing. I get what you're saying and respect that. Everyone has a breaking point - today I've experienced mine
So getting hammered 8-2 by United, 6-0 to Chelsea 4-0, to Liverpool, 4-0 to Southampton, losing to Birmingham in the CC final ( a team that got relegated that season) , 10-2 to Bayern and the many other embarrassing defeats didn't shake you out of your resolve until yesterday.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LaughingGooner wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Horseshit, mate - and you know it. You wonder why so many posters on here call you a troll and then you post that rubbish?? :roll: :lol:

Please point out the plethora of posts on here stating 'Winning the Cup 3 times in 4 years means nothing. It's a second rate competition'.

You won't find many, if any. You will find a lot of posts saying "in the bigger scheme of things, with what we pay our manager and players and the price of tickets, we should be more competitive than just winning the FA Cup, we should be challenging for the PL and the CL", Now that is a bit different than what you claim isn't it?

But no, you AKB sheep don't worry about the facts when blindly defending your lord and master, do you?

The vast majority on here love the FA Cup and respect it a whole lot more than Wenger has done over the last 10 years - never forget both him and Ferguson were the first two managers to put out weakened sides in the competition and thus begin the process of devaluing it. :roll: