Nottingham Forest (A) | FA Cup R3 | Sun 7 Jan 16:00 | BT Sport

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: Nottingham Forest (A) | FA Cup R3 | Sun 7 Jan 16:00 | BT Sport

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:22 pm
I have viewed this and other forums for many years - apologies for not saying hello before. But much of the time this forum in particular I have found a bit annoying, following a particular message that is a little lemming. But, I have been going to The Arsenal since the age of 7, now 45, and love the club and what it stands for, or used to. Now I feel I have to post - 1st time ever on any social media. I am disgusted. Disgusted to what we have become and disgusted at our total lack of ambition and our leaderships (including Arsene) lack of acknowledgement of our current state. I was once a proud Arsenal fan. I will always fight for our shirt- irrespective if the odds are against - but the time has come for the club to replicate the passion and effort and love we feel for it. I like to think I have been balanced over the years but now - done.
Welcome to the Forum mate.

Same question from me too - why choose today for your first post?? What exists now that didn't exist when Bayern Munich humiliated us 10-2?

And as for slating us for negativity - surely any anger should be directed at the people responsible for mis-managing our great Club?

General

Post by General »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 pm
Don't knock the kids I thought willock, Maitland-niles and Nelson were our better players. They need to shoot more often.
The rest well... shambles. Conceding another 2 penalties, Ospina no better than Cech but again rash challenges in the box cost us.
It is the end for this senior squad of players. Walcott, Welbeck, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Ospina, Elneny need to go. Add Ramsey and Monreal to that list.

Our run in this competition had to come to an end in a spectacular way and it did. Well done Forest, they played a good game.
We have some very talented young players who unfortunately will be ruined in no time. Holding has gone backwards and like Chambers hasn't looked switched on for a long time. You wonder what these guys are doing in training.

If Cech had played, he would've been criticised for failing to save both penalties.

Remember we were playing a mid table championship team that can't win a game to save their lives and had an 18year old Stoke reject leading their line.

LoyalWoolwich

Post by LoyalWoolwich »

Patience and trying to stick with it. Today, I think the arrogance of our club has become unbearable for me. I get the frustration over the years for all of us, I've been home and away and experienced it. I don't want Spurs, Chelsea or any other f&&&&R taking the piss and never want to fuel the fire on their behalf. I love Arsenal and hate the path we are taking. Over and out.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Ray C wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 am
Banana skin - with 'The boy Wonder' leading the line !!. Out of this cup tomorrow & other one one Wednesday leaving us European cup glory later in the year. :barscarf: :barscarf:
One down, two to go.
Fuck off Wenger, I love the FA cup & you put out a team that were not even good enough to turn over a poor championship team. I will have to keep my head down today - not happy. :barscarf: :barscarf:

NickF

Post by NickF »

LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:18 pm
Patience and trying to stick with it. Today, I think the arrogance of our club has become unbearable for me. I get the frustration over the years for all of us, I've been home and away and experienced it. I don't want Spurs, Chelsea or any other f&&&&R taking the piss and never want to fuel the fire on their behalf. I love Arsenal and hate the path we are taking. Over and out.
All I can say is that you must have an infinite amount of patience.
Everyone on this forum would love to see us challenging for the major trophies but it has been obvious for a very long time now that we will not win a major trophy with Wenger and Kroenke in charge. There is no desire from either of them, it is just about making money while we slip further and further behind. This is why we protested, but sadly the majority still don't and probably never will understand.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I honestly reckon that side we fielded today would lose that game 2 times out of 3. To not even put some first team players on the bench is unparalleled arrogance - especially as he has never respected the League Cup at all which is our next game.

LoyalWoolwich

Post by LoyalWoolwich »

Appreciate your note. I'd like to think I am as 'Arsenal' as it's nearly possible to be (haven't been to every game in the last 25 years but have been to many). I've enjoyed great, great times - and suffered bad moments - that's what being a football fan is about. Now is different. I don't think we have a right to expect to win anything- but I do expect us to compete. Today has been a defining moment for me - I didn't like banners and don't want to sit behind a computer to vent my anger. I love our club. But - today - in the sequence we are in - has nullified my belief in anything we are are told we are trying to achieve. It's very sad.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 pm
Appreciate your note. I'd like to think I am as 'Arsenal' as it's nearly possible to be (haven't been to every game in the last 25 years but have been to many). I've enjoyed great, great times - and suffered bad moments - that's what being a football fan is about. Now is different. I don't think we have a right to expect to win anything- but I do expect us to compete. Today has been a defining moment for me - I didn't like banners and don't want to sit behind a computer to vent my anger. I love our club. But - today - in the sequence we are in - has nullified my belief in anything we are are told we are trying to achieve. It's very sad.
This preciousness about banners and the like is exactly what’s kept Wenger in a job.

The board revere him and will never sack him, no matter how he acts, what he does in the transfer market or what happens on the pitch. The only way he’ll be forced to go is if his position with the fans becomes so completely untenable that he announces he’s leaving at the end of the season for some fake reason.

Might be a watershed moment for you but realistically you’re just another unhappy person silently keeping Wenger in a job. Not meaning to have a personal pop by any means as I reckon that there are tens of thousands of matchgoing fans in that bracket, but just trying to put things in some perspective.

LoyalWoolwich

Post by LoyalWoolwich »

Maybe. But, don't get confused with people who respect the CLUB and don't want to air dirty washing. I get what you're saying and respect that. Everyone has a breaking point - today I've experienced mine

LoyalWoolwich

Post by LoyalWoolwich »

Maybe. But, don't get confused with people who respect the CLUB and don't want to air dirty washing. I get what you're saying and respect that. Everyone has a breaking point - today I've experienced mine

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 pm
I Understand respecting the club but this whole issue boils down to the manager not being the club, which too many people can’t see. Basically every previous manager we’ve ever had has had dogs abuse from the terraces at one time or another, but a huge proportion of our fanbase now brand any form of public criticism as disrespectful no matter how disrespectful he is or how backwards he is taking the club.

Makes my blood boil when I hear about him building the club (which is a myth he happily perpetuates). We were the 3rd most successful club in English football history and would still be even if we hadn’t won a fucking thing in the last two decades.

I would rather not have to see banners and protests etc but it’s that or stick with Wenger - he’ll never leave unless forced to do so and the board won’t sack him so those are your two options.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

NickF wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 pm
LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Everyone on this forum would love to see us challenging for the major trophies but it has been obvious for a very long time now that we will not win a major trophy with Wenger and Kroenke in charge. There is no desire from either of them, it is just about making money while we slip further and further behind. This is why we protested, but sadly the majority still don't and probably never will understand.
Nick come Wednesday 90% on here will be revving up for the Chelsea game and those that aren't will be called every name under the sun. Should we win all this silly talk of protests will be quickly put to bed. And on & on & on & on we go............

One good thing, Wenger is a lot of things but he's not stupid, he'll know, if he sends the pubbers out and they get rinsed, the crowd, I believe, will turn on him. Conte, after making 9 changes and only getting a draw will also have to put a decent team out because, unlike Wenger, he will find himself under REAL pressure. So hopefully at least we will get 2 proper teams. Had we won today, we would have seen Walcott and that lot out again.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 pm
LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 pm
I Understand respecting the club but this whole issue boils down to the manager not being the club, which too many people can’t see. Basically every previous manager we’ve ever had has had dogs abuse from the terraces at one time or another, but a huge proportion of our fanbase now brand any form of public criticism as disrespectful no matter how disrespectful he is or how backwards he is taking the club.

Makes my blood boil when I hear about him building the club (which is a myth he happily perpetuates). We were the 3rd most successful club in English football history and would still be even if we hadn’t won a fucking thing in the last two decades.

I would rather not have to see banners and protests etc but it’s that or stick with Wenger - he’ll never leave unless forced to do so and the board won’t sack him so those are your two options.
One of the best posts on here for a while mate. You've summed up our position -

1. Put up with more and more of these rancid humiliations or
2. Do something about it

Moaning on here won't help.
Sitting in silence won't help.
Walking away won't help.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:21 pm
NickF wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 pm
LoyalWoolwich wrote:
Nick come Wednesday 90% on here will be revving up for the Chelsea game and those that aren't will be called every name under the sun. Should we win all this silly talk of protests will be quickly put to bed. And on & on & on & on we go............

One good thing, Wenger is a lot of things but he's not stupid, he'll know, if he sends the pubbers out and they get rinsed, the crowd, I believe, will turn on him. Conte, after making 9 changes and only getting a draw will also have to put a decent team out because, unlike Wenger, he will find himself under REAL pressure. So hopefully at least we will get 2 proper teams. Had we won today, we would have seen Walcott and that lot out again.
To be honest i expect him to put out a full team Weds but i don't think it will help much, i've had a feeling for a while we're going through the motions in most games and we only seem to spark when we score early and Conte will stifle us this time, i don't think he'll let them be anywhere near as open as they were in the draw.

On the one hand if OGL does put out our best team and we lose it's a continuation of the slide we've been hiccuping around this season, on the other if we win it wont mean all the much with a return leg to come and we don't cope with pressure :rubchin:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I have a horrible feeling the Europa Cup will come to his rescue this time round. I'm not saying he'll win it, but I think he will somehow scrape past the Swedish part-timers and then manage to get lucky through to the semis or even final by avoiding the few decent sides in the competition.

This will somehow mask our general decline in the eyes of the sheep who will get all excited at the thought of another European final.

I hope I am wrong but the man has the luck of the devil. The top 4 may be disappearing over the horizon, we may be put of the FA Cup and we will lose either to Chelsea or City in the League Cup, but we will follow fearlessly in the footsteps of Fulham and Middlesbrough in blazing a trail through the Europa Cup knockout rounds.