The 'there is only room for one set of INVINCIBLES thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: The 'thank you Liverpool' there is only room for one set of INVINCIBLES thread

Post by SteveO 35 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 pm
thing is this invincible talk may sound silly in may when they pick up some kind of treble, i'd imagine their name is on the league cup and if they may well pick up the fa cup or even the big one in may.

i honestly don't think anyone really cares about going unbeaten when you pick up a treble or even a league and cl double :|
Well absolutely - I don't recall United being upset losing the odd game in 1999.

The Invincibles will go down in history and rightly so but I'd trade the odd defeat that season in return for knocking the Chavs out of CL QF and going on to win it.

greengooner

Re: The 'there is only room for one set of INVINCIBLES thread

Post by greengooner »

Happy they didn’t match us but more delighted that the “best team ever” bandwagon has been derailed. Sky wankers and the press had been systematically trashing the invincible record with snide comments about the amount of draws in our run as opposed to city’s money fueled attempt, no doubt they’ll keep it up but they can’t airbrush city’s defeat out of the record book, 04 never to be repeated ( I hope)

nut flush gooner

Re: The 'thank you Liverpool' there is only room for one set of INVINCIBLES thread

Post by nut flush gooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 pm
This City side is probably the best PL team since the Invincibles. Despite our decline over the last decade, it is something that I honestly thought wouldn't be surpassed during my lifetime.

After that shocker of a performance today it is a small crumb of comfort I hold onto. When you see this shower of shite that we have to watch week in week out, you truly realise that the class of 2004 were an exceptional team not only respected by Arsenal fans but fans of other clubs too.
Don’t agree. Mourinho's first Chelsea team (lost one game and went 40+ unbeaten) and United 2008/10 (Ronaldo at his height with Rooney and Tevez, van der Sar Vidic and Ferdinand rock solid at the back) were better sides. City are the best by a distance but the fact that United sit second sums up how shit the league is - there are years that United side would have been scrapping for top 4.
So by that token as Arsenal only lost one game in 1991 ironically vs Chelski, why haven't you mentioned that team? All of Maureen's teams play functional football, they don't have great footballers. Could you honestly name the side that went 40+ undefeated without looking it up. As for United, this is a team built by Guardiola in 18 months that is already superior to anything united have produced over the last 10 years. Ronaldo didn't hit his peak until he went to RM, class of 99 is a much better team.

Just because the PL quality isn't what it used to be, looking down at City is a bit disingenious, they can only play what's put in front of them and with the exception of palace/pool have wiped the floor of pretty much everyone this season. The current team is also work in progress, yeah like Chelski they bought it all, but Guardiola is a genius in getting his teams to play a brand of football that most teams cannot live with.

JimmyAFC

Post by JimmyAFC »

Let's be honest.

I was fucking stoked City lost today.

At least we can hold onto the fact we're the only side ever to go unbeaten... :barscarf: :lol:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

I'm happy enough. The Arsenal Football Club were a different entity to Wanker and Wiggy PLC (well that's what I like to think to ease the pain somewhat, although it breaks my heart that my club no longer exists) and out past achievements are fuck all to do with the current franchise which took over the club I love ten years ago. The history and achievements of The Arsenal are all we have left to remember the club we loved by.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

greengooner wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 pm
Happy they didn’t match us but more delighted that the “best team ever” bandwagon has been derailed. Sky wankers and the press had been systematically trashing the invincible record with snide comments about the amount of draws in our run as opposed to city’s money fueled attempt, no doubt they’ll keep it up but they can’t airbrush city’s defeat out of the record book, 04 never to be repeated ( I hope)
It seems to me that the media have been trashing the Arsenal name for some years now,not just the Invincibles record,maybe its because they know Wenger is a busted flush and the club is now weaker than it ever seemed to be in recent years,and instead of a siege mentality from the fans we accept it because half of us are boycotting/demanding change and the other half are happy to chant "Theres only one" and tolerate the spineless shit and winning the FA cup.whatever the case its a fucking sad sad situation,

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

JimmyAFC wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 am
Let's be honest.

At least we can hold onto the fact we're the only side ever to go unbeaten... :barscarf: :lol:
You were stoked yesterday ??
On the day of one of our worst ever Premier League defeats, you were stoked ?

Bloody hell the state of our fan base these days..

brucers

Post by brucers »

Ifs and buts.... if Henry had converted his 1 on 1 in 06 or we had not just hit the post against Chelski late on in 91. Conversely, if Bergkamp had slotted away that penalty at Villa Pk in 99.
We can only go by facts. Since our first title win in the 30's we have won the tittle in every (full) decade a least once bar the 60's (Wenger, of course, is doing his best to ruin this record too). We are a couple of season off 100 years in top flight. We are not a WBA or Stoke, just making up the numbers, we are not Hammers happy with the odd FA cup.
The Invincibles are a big part of that because of, like the above example, it's uniqueness. Unlike the League & CL it is not a trophy that is 'up for grabs' every year. It cannot be lost the next season. Being mean you may say it is a statistic but it is also an amazing feat, achieved less times than 'The Double', a once a century event, unequalled nor surpassed. Do not undermine the success of those players (with the exception of Cygan maybe) because of our hatred of one man.
Part of the reason we are so angry nowadays is because of the facts of our history and that includes The Invincibles.
Last edited by brucers on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 am
JimmyAFC wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 am
Let's be honest.

You were stoked yesterday ??
On the day of one of our worst ever Premier League defeats, you were stoked ?

Bloody hell the state of our fan base these days..
Couple of things here. Leave out the snide comments on other posters, mate. He's entitled to feel however he wants about it, without being looked down on. And also, "one of our worst ever Premier League defeats"?? Really? I wouldn't even put it in the top (bottom?? :wink: ) 20 of our worst defeats in the PL over the last 10 years.... :oops: :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

For me citeh losing was one tiny bright spark on an absolute shit day. I'm obviously delighted the club I love still holds that record but tbh the bigger part of it at the moment is the fact that the fucking morons at SlySports now look even more stupid with the "best team ever" horseshit. They are a very good side no doubt but nowhere near the best ever, not even in the top 5 (or maybe even top 10) best PL sides for me. I'd put us 98/02/04, at least 3 maybe 4 of the Manure sides between 93 and 05 and maybe the chavs double team from 2010 all ahead of them.

Someone said the quality of the modern PL shouldn't be taken into account as you can only play what's in front of you but I don't agree. The PL is a joke defensively at the moment, very few teams have good never mind great defensive set ups. I think you absolutely have to take quality into account. This citeh team have outscored teams on occasion, teams that would have beaten them if they had been better defensively.

Most of those sides I named could be transported in time and would genuinely be capable of winning the PL in its current state of defensive shitness, but could this citeh team go back in time and win it during those years? With their defence and their manager's almost naive "we can outscore them" defensive approach?? I don't think so tbh, certainly they'd not be near as dominant as they are now.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:18 am
For me citeh losing was one tiny bright spark on an absolute shit day. I'm obviously delighted the club I love still holds that record but tbh the bigger part of it at the moment is the fact that the fucking morons at SlySports now look even more stupid with the "best team ever" horseshit. They are a very good side no doubt but nowhere near the best ever, not even in the top 5 (or maybe even top 10) best PL sides for me. I'd put us 98/02/04, at least 3 maybe 4 of the Manure sides between 93 and 05 and maybe the chavs double team from 2010 all ahead of them.

Someone said the quality of the modern PL shouldn't be taken into account as you can only play what's in front of you but I don't agree. The PL is a joke defensively at the moment, very few teams have good never mind great defensive set ups. I think you absolutely have to take quality into account. This citeh team have outscored teams on occasion, teams that would have beaten them if they had been better defensively.

Most of those sides I named could be transported in time and would genuinely be capable of winning the PL in its current state of defensive shitness, but could this citeh team go back in time and win it during those years? With their defence and their manager's almost naive "we can outscore them" defensive approach?? I don't think so tbh, certainly they'd not be near as dominant as they are now.

Fergiscum's ManUtd of the early 2000s would have went thier and kicked the shit out of that team, and there would be nothing gardyola could do about it, then the Arsenal would have beat them kicking them a bit less, and Chavski would park the Bus for a draw and get it. :lol:

I don't see thier midfeild standing up to Viera, or thier defense stoping Henry and Bergkamp in full tilt.
Last edited by AkneyGooner on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

No way was the invincibles Wengers greatest achievement

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Invincible season was a great achievement,But that side never retained a title and they failed in Europe.Sorry to spoil the euphoria but it is the truth.George Grahams team only lost one game in 91

Wenger has never won the CL he has never retained a title

Simple question would any Gooner not swap the Invincible season for the United treble?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:28 pm
No way was the invincibles Wengers greatest achievement
Absolutely - just ask Graeme Souness. That magical day at St James's Park.....who can ever forget that glorious afternoon

A magical day that will last with me forever. The day we scrambled 4th over a team with half the budget - truly halcyon days

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 am
northbank123 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 pm
This City side is probably the best PL team since the Invincibles. Despite our decline over the last decade, it is something that I honestly thought wouldn't be surpassed during my lifetime.

After that shocker of a performance today it is a small crumb of comfort I hold onto. When you see this shower of shite that we have to watch week in week out, you truly realise that the class of 2004 were an exceptional team not only respected by Arsenal fans but fans of other clubs too.
Don’t agree. Mourinho's first Chelsea team (lost one game and went 40+ unbeaten) and United 2008/10 (Ronaldo at his height with Rooney and Tevez, van der Sar Vidic and Ferdinand rock solid at the back) were better sides. City are the best by a distance but the fact that United sit second sums up how shit the league is - there are years that United side would have been scrapping for top 4.
So by that token as Arsenal only lost one game in 1991 ironically vs Chelski, why haven't you mentioned that team? All of Maureen's teams play functional football, they don't have great footballers. Could you honestly name the side that went 40+ undefeated without looking it up. As for United, this is a team built by Guardiola in 18 months that is already superior to anything united have produced over the last 10 years. Ronaldo didn't hit his peak until he went to RM, class of 99 is a much better team.

Just because the PL quality isn't what it used to be, looking down at City is a bit disingenious, they can only play what's put in front of them and with the exception of palace/pool have wiped the floor of pretty much everyone this season. The current team is also work in progress, yeah like Chelski they bought it all, but Guardiola is a genius in getting his teams to play a brand of football that most teams cannot live with.
Didn’t mention 91 team as you said the best team since 2004. Before my time anyway.

Nobody would say Mourinho’s teams play attractive football but that side swept aside the invincibles and cruised to two titles. No sides other than those mentioned here would have given them a run for their money over the course of a season for my money.

Can’t knock the 99 side for what they won and their achievements grant them a special status. What I would say is that out of all of those sides I would most rather play them than any of the others mentioned. We thrashed them 3-0 twice that year and the only time they beat us in 5 games was the FA Cup semi in extra time after DB missed that pen. They could easily have ended up with nothing that year. By contrast we’ve barely taken a point off the others.

If City reach the CL final I will have to rethink my view but in relative terms I still think they’re still short of being the best about. They will leak 4-5 goals across two games because of their dodgy defence and the carelessness with which they lose the ball in dangerous positions, and I don’t think they can rely on scoring 5-6 against actually quality teams to go through.