Bould/new backroom staff merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Bould

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am
elpelsarmy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:09 pm
Although if you really believe that the back 4 of Cole -Toure - Campbell and Lauren went unbeaten for a whole season with NO defensive training being applied you are very naive
You have to wonder what's going on now or whether the training is essentially the same and the players themselves make all the difference. And because of the quality elsewhere (Gilberto to begin with, good cover by lunjberg and parlour, and the assorted attacking threats).
For me, it's a combo of those things to a certain extent. I think it's not as clear cut or as black and white as many seem to think. I think in the old days Wenger certainly enjoyed the benefit of a lot of tough, strong-willed, alpha-type personalities like DB10, PV4, TA6, TH14 etc etc but also I don't think Wenger was as obsessed with this fantasy version of "pure football" that he is now so obsessed with.

I think the 04 Invincibles season was a double edged sword tbh. I think that season drove his ego over the top, he actually genuinely believed he was a genius and no one else in world football was at his level. This self-obsessed ego-mania then led him to the arrogant decision to go with Project Youth and Tippy Tappy and bringing in lighter players in midfield and at CH and prioritising passing and posession over everything else - even scoring goals ffs. He was almost cutting off his nose to spite his face with stupid pseudo-intellectual concepts like winning is only worth doing if it is done beautifully.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Wenger inherited the famous back 4, and even though Keown, Dixon, Adams, Winterburn would eventually retire, their legacy was passed to Cole, Campbell, Lauren, Toure who understood how to defend. However as time went on, the defensive culture evaporated until it ceased to exist. Wenger has done nothing to restore it, and I dont think he could even if he tried. Wenger was lucky to inherit George Grahams defensive legacy and in his early years fine turned the team with a potent attack to go with the robust defence. But as the longer Wenger was manager, the more he made the culture his own, until Grahams defensive legacy was fully eradicated and we turned from being defensive institution, to a team known for ridiculous defending.

There is no point referring to the late 1990's and early 2000's as indication Wenger can restore our defence, because he simply inherited that defence. He couldnt even maintain the defensive culture and instead allowed it to vanish.

So whenever you hear any mug talking about how Wenger ''revolutionized'' Arsenal and took us from boring boring Arsenal to a team that plays 'entertaining football', be sure to remind them he also took us from being a club famous for its defence, to the joke fest we are know.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 am
OneBard, augie - let's tone it down a bit huh? No need for personal insults.

For the record elpelsarmy has been a member here since 2006 - longer than either of you - and is not a WUM.

Also (in general) this habit on here of turning on anyone that differs from the agenda / party line of "hate Wenger no matter what" has got to stop. It's turning this forum into a one-dimensional brainwashed grouping as bad as anything we accuse the AKB of tbh.
Fair Enough - Apologies to elpelsarmy. :oops:

I still think Bouldy is just taking the money for keeping Schtumm...mind you I think I might do the same if I was offered £30k a week so - there you go. I guess because he (bould) was a part of our 'Legendary' Defence I expect more - rather than to bite the bullet , say nothing and take the money...there again that's what Pat Rice did...

The story goes that he started ripping into the players at half-time and Wenger closed him down...and he wasn't allowed to do that from that point on.

Though Pat Rice IS a legend regardless.

#wengerout & #wiggyout

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:

For the record elpelsarmy has been a member here since 2006 - longer than either of you - and is not a WUM.

Also (in general) this habit on here of turning on anyone that differs from the agenda / party line of "hate Wenger no matter what" has got to stop. It's turning this forum into a one-dimensional brainwashed grouping as bad as anything we accuse the AKB of tbh.
I am definitely not a WUM, I just happen to have a different slant on Augie/onebards opinion so that means I am fair game to be vilified for it.
For the record I am not saying for one second that Wenger or Bould are doing a great job, Wenger should have gone years ago as we all know but having a pop at Bould for chewing gum the wrong way and not acting like Conte on the sideline is ridiculous, he has a role which is a number 2, therefore he is working for Wenger, Wenger chose him so regardless of what he thinks deep down his job is to carry out the instructions of Wenger, that's not his fault, and I get the argument that he should stand up to Wenger and make a stand but perhaps he is waiting for Wenger to go and wants to be in a position to take over? but the point is, we do not know or see what he does in between games on the training ground or elsewhere so how do so many people on here know for sure that he does fuck all? If its said once in the papers it must be true eh?
Of course they do defensive training, I'm not saying they are good at it, clearly they are not but does anyone seriously believe that a professional football club does NO defensive training? Who decided we go zonal then? How do the players know where to stand for corners? they do it, not very well but they do it so people coming on here saying its well known that Wenger does not allow defensive training to take place are talking shite! They must have read it once on Twitter so to them its true.
Bould has to take some responsibility but to go for him and blame him is wrong, Wenger should be getting our wrath and Wenger only as he runs the ship.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Fair Enough - Apologies to elpelsarmy. :oops:

I still think Bouldy is just taking the money for keeping Schtumm...mind you I think I might do the same if I was offered £30k a week so - there you go. I guess because he (bould) was a part of our 'Legendary' Defence I expect more - rather than to bite the bullet , say nothing and take the money...there again that's what Pat Rice did...

The story goes that he started ripping into the players at half-time and Wenger closed him down...and he wasn't allowed to do that from that point on.

Though Pat Rice IS a legend regardless.

#wengerout & #wiggyout
Apology accepted Onebard cheers! I think we were both replying at the same time sorry!!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:wink:

I agree it is Wenger AND Wiggy who deserve our utter contempt - as that is what they have shown us (Gooners).

Blade

Post by Blade »

A guy on a measly 30k/week is going to scould a bunch of spoilt multi-millionaires?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

They're ALL Snowflakes I tell ya! All of Em. :box:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:

For the record DB I never accused him of being a wum.

Secondly I dont give a fcuk if a guy is a member here 10 years or 10 weeks........if they are willing to debate things properly then that is ok with me regardless of whether they agree with me or not. I should not have resorted to calling him an arsehole and I accept that, but I 100% stand by my statement that he was being condescending and all bets are off at that stage for me.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

augie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Secondly I dont give a fcuk if a guy is a member here 10 years or 10 weeks........if they are willing to debate things properly then that is ok with me regardless of whether they agree with me or not. I should not have resorted to calling him an arsehole and I accept that, but I 100% stand by my statement that he was being condescending and all bets are off at that stage for me.
you just couldn't resist it could you??? :lol:

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm
Sorry, have I said ANYWHERE on this thread that Wenger does do defensive training.? No, thought not but thanks for the response anyway.
You said/asked what would I know what bould does or say or think and so I replied..

You really are a WUM aren't you...

well I never - I didn't know bould's missus was a WUM... :roll: :?
by the way .................you did :shock:

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
elpelsarmy wrote:
Sorry, have I said ANYWHERE on this thread that Wenger does do defensive training.? No, thought not but thanks for the response anyway.
You said/asked what would I know what bould does or say or think and so I replied..

oh no!!!! wrong bloke !! sorry :oops: :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Jesus... we are gonna play semantics huh? I didn't say you called him a WUM. I addressed both you and OneBard in one post rather than bother posting two basically the same posts. It was OneBard that called him a WUM.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
elpelsarmy wrote:

oh no!!!! wrong bloke !! sorry :oops: :oops:
:lol:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Jesus... we are gonna play semantics huh? I didn't say you called him a WUM. I addressed both you and OneBard in one post rather than bother posting two basically the same posts. It was OneBard that called him a WUM.

No we are not gonna play semantics - what we are or at least should do, is judge things based on all factors and not just one word. For the record this is a debate about the usefullness about bould so there was no party line/agenda. In my world if people (including myself) act like an arsehole, then they/we are entitled to be called an arsehole - it is, for me at least, not a majorly offensive word, and again imo not worthy worthy of a rebuke,but at same time I'm okay with it