The Leavers Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: The Leavers Thread

Post by Nos89 »

It's noticeable how well our ex-keepers do when they leave. Fabianski and Mannone both kept their new teams in the premier league longer than they should've, szcezsny has recently broken Buffon's record of quickest time to reach 10 clean sheets.
Cech's got worse at the club and he brought his own coach. The reason is obvious yet nothing gets fixed.
Walcott, Giroud, Ox, Coquelin all had decent careers at Arsenal but it was their time to go. Merson, Kevin Campbell, Micky Thomas all left and were replaced by better players, which is what's happened this January. That's the risk a club takes but I'm sure we're better for it.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Didn't Szczesny sum it up when he said he learned more about keeping in his first 4 months at Roma than in 10 years at Arsenal with Gerry Peyton and Wenger.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

phpBB [video]

Super Super Tom Super Tom Rosicky! :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

As I've said on here a million times before, my first awareness of rosicky was when he played us in highbury with sparta prague and I thought that he was outstanding, especially when you consider that he was still a teenager at the time. Now that being said, when I look or think or rosicky these days all I see and feel is pity for what could have been - he didnt do enough or play enough to be at the legend status for us, so I have to be honest and say that his retirement doesnt bother me one way or the other

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

I'm going to go ahead and invent 'St. Wenger's Day'.

Unlike St. Totteringham's Day and Invincibles Day, this will be a one-off occasion to celebrate the day every single player from Wenger's reign has left the club. My guess is that it will occur during the 2020-21 season.

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:58 pm
As I've said on here a million times before, my first awareness of rosicky was when he played us in highbury with sparta prague and I thought that he was outstanding, especially when you consider that he was still a teenager at the time. Now that being said, when I look or think or rosicky these days all I see and feel is pity for what could have been - he didnt do enough or play enough to be at the legend status for us, so I have to be honest and say that his retirement doesnt bother me one way or the other
Agreed. He was immensely talented. Could've achieved much more in the game if not for the injuries.

ds

Post by ds »

As much as I hated him at the time Ashley Cole saw the writing on the wall.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

ds wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 am
As much as I hated him at the time Ashley Cole saw the writing on the wall.
Yeah, 5000 times a week :wink: