Boro v arsenal fa youth cup

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Boro v arsenal fa youth cup

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 am
Leyton Gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:15 pm
The kids are all shite :barscarf:

Who will be the next to have a decent game against Doncaster or Borisov and be handed a multi million pound contract to wave around as a badge of honour in a Soho nightclub while coked off their heads?

I remember the (fairly recent) times that we were winning the fa youth cup on a regular basis with a predominantly english/Irish side ........ how many of them made it afterwards ? I remember being really impressed with the likes of graham barrett, arturo lupoli and aliadaire, but they have gone on to do the square root of fcuk all in the pro game - makes you question the usefullness of a good youth team :roll:
Have to be honest as well, and say that my interest in the younger AFC teams is minimal nowadays - it used to be that the majority were genuine home grown (british and Irish), but now the johnny foreigners seem to be over-running the underage set up too
You are very conflicted augie.... :D :wink:

To the English we are foreigners....

beck

Post by beck »

augie wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Who will be the next to have a decent game against Doncaster or Borisov and be handed a multi million pound contract to wave around as a badge of honour in a Soho nightclub while coked off their heads?

I remember the (fairly recent) times that we were winning the fa youth cup on a regular basis with a predominantly english/Irish side ........ how many of them made it afterwards ? I remember being really impressed with the likes of graham barrett, arturo lupoli and aliadaire, but they have gone on to do the square root of fcuk all in the pro game - makes you question the usefullness of a good youth team :roll:
Have to be honest as well, and say that my interest in the younger AFC teams is minimal nowadays - it used to be that the majority were genuine home grown (british and Irish), but now the johnny foreigners seem to be over-running the underage set up too
Pat rice
Sammy Nelson
David price
David hillier
Steve morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack wilshere
Francis coquelin
All won the youth cup with arsenal and had a career at the club
Only the goalkeeper Virginia( who is Portuguese ) is non British in the players we have used in the youth cup
Ballard is Northern Irish
The rest
Daley - Campbell
Coyle
Saka
Amaechi
John- jules
Are off to the algarve tomorrow to play in a tournament for England under 17,s
Medley
Thompson
Benson
Smith
Smith- rowe( who was in England under 17 World Cup winning squad)
Omole
All english

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 am
augie wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

You are very conflicted augie.... :D :wink:

To the English we are foreigners....
On the contrary....we just wish you'd respect us on the 'mainland' a little more :wink: :D :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

beck wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:48 pm
augie wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Pat rice
Sammy Nelson
David price
David hillier
Steve morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack wilshere
Francis coquelin
Only the goalkeeper Virginia( who is Portuguese ) is non British in the players we have used in the youth cup
The rest
Daley - Campbell
Coyle
Saka
Amaechi
John- jules
Medley
Thompson
Benson
Smith
Omole
All english

You dont half talk some shite sometimes :roll:

Firstly I said "fairly recent times", and that doesnt extend back to pat rice and sammy nelson's era no matter how old I am.

Secondly I asked how many players "made it" with the club, and your response to that is to list journeymen footballers (highlighted in red) who were at best average, and a lot of the time they werent even that good :oops: Even kevin campbell was never classed as a first 11 player throughout his time at the club, and that is coming from someone who liked campbell as a player

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

augie wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 pm
beck wrote:
augie wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Pat rice
Sammy Nelson
David price
David hillier
Steve morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack wilshere
Francis coquelin
The rest
Daley - Campbell
Coyle
Saka
Amaechi
John- jules
Medley
Thompson
Benson
Smith
Omole
All english

Firstly I said "fairly recent times", and that doesnt extend back to pat rice and sammy nelson's era no matter how old I am.

Secondly I asked how many players "made it" with the club, and your response to that is to list journeymen footballers (highlighted in red) who were at best average, and a lot of the time they werent even that good :oops: Even kevin campbell was never classed as a first 11 player throughout his time at the club, and that is coming from someone who liked campbell as a player
Beck's fake news. :barscarf:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

augie wrote:
beck wrote:
augie wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Pat rice
Sammy Nelson
David price
David hillier
Steve morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack wilshere
Francis coquelin
The rest
Daley - Campbell
Coyle
Saka
Amaechi
John- jules
Medley
Thompson
Benson
Smith
Omole
All english

You forget Mathew Rose who only made 2 appearances I think,(including an own goal at West Ham wasn't it?)

beck

Post by beck »

augie wrote:
beck wrote:
augie wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:

Pat rice
Sammy Nelson
David price
David hillier
Steve morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack wilshere
Francis coquelin
The rest
Daley - Campbell
Coyle
Saka
Amaechi
John- jules
Medley
Thompson
Benson
Smith
Omole
All english

I take on board that pat rice and sammy Nelson do not constitute recent times
By the same token neither do David price. David hillier, Steve morrow or kevin Campbell
But we part company again on what is classed as making it
Youth football is a punt for all clubs
Very few make it but what is constituting making it?
I would say over a seasons worth of games is good criteria for saying somebody made a mark at the club
David price played 126 games for us including winning the 79 fa cup with us( equalising at Southampton in the quarter final)
Hillier played 104 games and was very tidy in the 1991 league winning campaign
Morrow 62 games including scoring in the 1993 league cup final and playing in the 1994 cup winners cup final
Coquelin played 105 game including the 2015 and 17 cup finals( all be it a late sub in the later)
As for kevin Campbell he was a bona fide 1st 11 player in 91/92, 92/93 and 93/94
I try not to talk shite
I try to be positive
Saying we have the United Nations playing in our current youth cup campaign when they are all English bar a northern irishman( born in Stevenage) and a Portuguese goalkeeper. Is patently untrue

beck

Post by beck »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:26 pm
beck wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 pm
It's reading away in the quarter final
They just won 4-1 at colchester
Shame, I might have made the short trip down the A12 to watch had it been at Colchester.
Reading have been kicked out for fielding an under age player
So we are playing at Colchester now
Tues 6 th March 7 pm

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

beck wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:28 pm
StuartL wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:26 pm
beck wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 pm
It's reading away in the quarter final
They just won 4-1 at colchester
Shame, I might have made the short trip down the A12 to watch had it been at Colchester.
Reading have been kicked out for fielding an under age player
So we are playing at Colchester now
Tues 6 th March 7 pm
Thanks for the update Beck, will see how I’m fixed next week

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Youth Cup: Colchester 1-5 Arsenal - Highlights
Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/media-watc ... Fm4Bqr4.99
Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/media-watc ... m44wxeU.99

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

It's youth football. I cannot think of a single team that has won the youth cup that has produced a starting first eleven for the same club.
So much can happen for a young player, injury, loss of interest and simply not good enough to break into the first team, in every team there's different levels of skill and determination of the individual. Eventually, they find their level in the lower leagues.
The argument that an academy system is crap if it doesn't turn out world class players every year is naïve.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

The youth team doesn't really leave me up nor down but if these guys are the sum total of our success over the past 50 years then it doesn't say much for the system!

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:09 pm
The youth team doesn't really leave me up nor down but if these guys are the sum total of our success over the past 50 years then it doesn't say much for the system!

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin
David O'Leary, Frank Stapleton, Liam Brady, Paul Davis, Brendon Batson, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Martin Hayes, David Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Paul Merson, Ray Parlour, Gus Caesar,Niall Quinn, Andy Cole, Ian Selley, Ashley Cole, Benik Afobe to name a couple more that I can think of that made it through the ranks. That's a proper shit list isn't it?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin
David O'Leary, Frank Stapleton, Liam Brady, Paul Davis, Brendon Batson, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Martin Hayes, David Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Paul Merson, Ray Parlour, Gus Caesar,Niall Quinn, Andy Cole, Ian Selley, Ashley Cole, Benik Afobe to name a couple more that I can think of that made it through the ranks. That's a proper shit list isn't it?

Now that's a much better list - well done for applying some thought to the matter. Many of the guys above were blooded into the first team quite quickly and were good enough to remain there. It seems to be a slower process for the players to get their opportunity and retain their place these days. In fairness Iwobi and Maintalnd-Niles are hanging in there having been given their chance.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:

Pat Rice
Sammy Nelson
David Price
David Hillier
Steve Morrow
Kevin Campbell
Jack Wilshere
Francis Coquelin

For the love of christ lads will ye cop yourselves on - listing those donkeys as vindication of our youth set up is nearly as lame as the scum's "honours list" :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: