Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ernie71

Re: Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

Post by Ernie71 »

wilko49er wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am
When are people going to get “voting with your feet” or “boycotting” will never! Work”. Their will always be someone willing to fill a seat. Yes their may be the odd empty ones. But with a world wide fanbase (tourists) the size of ours it wont happen.

Some league games this season there have been 10-15,000 empty seats.Its not true that seats will be filled regardless

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm
BFG4 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm
Usually games like this get me hyped, and i am a nervous wreck for the 90 minutes, but it wasn't like that at all today. Our 'tactics' were beyond laughable, and pretty much relied on whichever Spurs player was crossing it, not getting the cross right, but once they did, koscielny and Mustafi looked like pub league players. Wanker again planned with only plan A, and once we went behind, he didn't have a clue how to switch things, and instead decided to move Aubameyang out to the wing, and to bring in the incompetent trio of Welbeck, Iwobi and Lacazette :banghead:
Overall we were shit, but i expect nothing less from wanker and his group of bottle jobs. On one hand you can be angry about today, or you can face the reality that the club gave up completely, when they were willing to give wanker a new deal.
Exactly, I think for a lot of us now it has got to the point of "meh", it just doesn't warrant an emotive response anymore,I have no idea how anyone can be arsed with bothering to even turn up now, until something major changes. I will be interested to see how fast those season tickets are renewed this time around.

:roll:
I know it's not a popular opinion on here, but i just can't get on board with anyone who decides to attend games anymore. Think about the equivalent, if you had a major grievance with a company, you wouldn't keep using their product, but yet our fanbase are happy to spend money to go into Kroenke and the board's pockets. I have to laugh when i see protests against Wenger, but these same people have paid for a season ticket, and some even buy shit out of the armory :banghead: each to their own and all that, but you can't be screaming for change at the club, while you pay money to prop it up. I await the angry replies :)

I have a similar simplistic point of view ......... if the food in a resturaunt was shit, would you continue to eat there ? :roll: Some will argue that they have held season tickets for years and do not wish to give them up now, and tbf I understand that viewpoint, but why not renew and rarely bother attending ? That to me would constitute some sort of protest without anyone giving up their season tickets, but to renew and continue to atttend is an endorsement of everything going on at the club nowadays. If people are happy/content with how the club is being run then they should by all means continue to show their support, but anyone unhappy should be willing to sacrifice themselves to try and enforce change - proclaiming that these protests will have no effect is just a lazy excuse to do nothing and that isnt acceptable imo

augie

Post by augie »

Btw did anyone here the "expert pundit analysis" from danny murphy and dion dublin on motd last night ? They actually complimented the way we were set up tactically yesterday :shock: :shock: :shock: They said that the positioning of our centre backs for their goal was good, and they praised xhaka's attempts to get out to close the cross down :roll:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Ernie71 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am
wilko49er wrote:
When are people going to get “voting with your feet” or “boycotting” will never! Work”. Their will always be someone willing to fill a seat. Yes their may be the odd empty ones. But with a world wide fanbase (tourists) the size of ours it wont happen.

Some league games this season there have been 10-15,000 empty seats.Its not true that seats will be filled regardless
Exactly and we've only been one season (soon to be two) out of the 4th place and above 'champions' league, tourists by definition are not as loyal as actual supporters. Spurs are moving into what will probably be a better stadium next season, if they can avoid our issues with paying for it and keep their place in the top 4 then a lot of tourists will simply drift towards them, the Chavs also have plans to rebuild the bridge, financed by oil money no doubt, rather than decades of austerity like us.

There have even been a few empty seats at OT and Etihad this season and they are clubs right at the top and in the CL, it is not just an Arsenal problem but if we continue to be an irrelevance in terms of competing at the top, or at least getting in the top 4, then I can't see how the club will avoid a half empty stadium on a regular basis, even without boycotting old skool fans.

Of course they could end up doing a West Ham and start giving away tickets at £5/£10 just to try and fill it up, infact I can't see them avoiding drastic reductions in ticket pricing if we are going to be a midtable club, that would be kind of ironic really, oh a good luck filling club level!.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

phpBB [video]

:dance: :rubchin: :dance: :rubchin: :dance:

augie

Post by augie »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:02 pm
Ernie71 wrote:
wilko49er wrote:

Exactly and we've only been one season (soon to be two) out of the 4th place and above 'champions' league, tourists by definition are not as loyal as actual supporters. Spurs are moving into what will probably be a better stadium next season, if they can avoid our issues with paying for it and keep their place in the top 4 then a lot of tourists will simply drift towards them, the Chavs also have plans to rebuild the bridge, financed by oil money no doubt, rather than decades of austerity like us.

There have even been a few empty seats at OT and Etihad this season and they are clubs right at the top and in the CL, it is not just an Arsenal problem but if we continue to be an irrelevance in terms of competing at the top, or at least getting in the top 4, then I can't see how the club will avoid a half empty stadium on a regular basis, even without boycotting old skool fans.

Of course they could end up doing a West Ham and start giving away tickets at £5/£10 just to try and fill it up, infact I can't see them avoiding drastic reductions in ticket pricing if we are going to be a midtable club, that would be kind of ironic really, oh a good luck filling club level!.

That would create a major, major dilemma for the club - reducing ticket prices (a la shammers) will be seen across the world as a desperate move and will not be fitting for a club marketing itself as one of THE biggest clubs in the world. On the other hand showing home games around the world with the stadium only half full, will kill the notion that we have a massive fanbase with a long waiting list for season tickets.
For the likes of me, I will sit back smiling when this happens 8)

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Ernie71 wrote:
wilko49er wrote:

absolutely, remember that the scum have 85k seats to fill at wembley this season too, there are seats to fill in other stadiums and there will be next season when they play at the new shithole and chelsea will be at wembley next season (as is my understanding, although i have a feeling this be delayed as most stadium development is) voring with our feet and well timed protests (Against poor opposition, not after transfer windows close) is the way to go about it.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Ernie71 wrote:
wilko49er wrote:

...it is not just an Arsenal problem but if we continue to be an irrelevance in terms of competing at the top, or at least getting in the top 4, then I can't see how the club will avoid a half empty stadium on a regular basis, even without boycotting old skool fans.
But almost all of those 10-15,000 seats are season tickets. The attendance is still 59,000 because the seats are sold. If you try and get a ticket with a silver or red membership a week before only ticket exchange is available. Arsenal can't sell the tickets unless they are put on ticket exchange and I can't see them stopping season ticket holders renewing as matters stand. Apparently something like 45,000 could have entered the ballot for the League Cup final and it has now gone to standby and I suspect next week will be offered to silver members with good attendance from August 2015. Not really sure why people get season tickets year in year out. Maybe it is to gurantee tickets for the big games or the fear of going to the back of the queue when Arsenal get good.

Arsenal have effectively been selling out (tickets that is, though in many other ways) since they built the new North Bank. The problem will be when the corporates stop buying but they will do so just to guarantee the big games.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm
Ernie71 wrote:
wilko49er wrote:

absolutely, remember that the scum have 85k seats to fill at wembley this season too, there are seats to fill in other stadiums and there will be next season when they play at the new shithole and chelsea will be at wembley next season (as is my understanding, although i have a feeling this be delayed as most stadium development is) voring with our feet and well timed protests (Against poor opposition, not after transfer windows close) is the way to go about it.
We need years outside of the Champions League and thankfully Wenger is ensuring that will be the case. The tourist fan base will soon dry up when the Scum's new stadium opens and they are seen as a more atrractive, day tripper location......and lets be honest, right now they are. Their football is more exciting and they'll be playing in the CL for years to come providing they keep the manager and the windowlicker.

There are so many fickle c.unts these days that see the Be All and End All as literally just that......they'll soon lose interest in as a club if Goonchops drags us further into the mire, and as I've said times many, this guy doesn't do bouncebacks and 6th is the new normal. If Everton attract a decent manager one day with their new found wealth, 7th will be the new normal and I fully expected that to be this season.

Soon we will be the club we once were in the early 80s where the best hope was a domestic cup run and possibly qualification for the UEFA Cup/Europa League which we would then normally be dumped out of. Like then we're also producing sterile, dull football......something had saved his reputation until recently and amazingly still surprises some. Steve McManaman was surprised yesterday that after 70 mins we'd managed 1 shot on target but I've lost count of how many times that has been the case

Keep the faith - its actually a blessing that the greedy wig wearing bastard has allowed Shit for Brains to continue. He's dragging us back in time three decades or more, and soon all the c.unts that fed the club with visits to the Armoury will be wearing Spurs and Everton shirts and we might just get to start our club up again under a new ownership structure

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Thousands of season tickets holders either put their season tickets on exchange or don't bother turning up, that is the reason for the empty seats. Arsenal is still maximising their matchday revenue whether there is 40,000 or 60,000 in the ground. The season ticket waiting list is as long as ever.

There will never be a situation where we have to sell tickets at vastly discounted prices like Worst Ham. The main reason for that (and I have said this before) being that Arsenal is a huge draw for football tourists. We had football tourists try to take our seats before the Everton game just so a group of them could sit together, needless to say, we told them to fuck off, they were German and they tried to do the equivalent of getting in early and stealing the sun loungers. This is in the North Lower as well.

The club has got the fans by the short and curlies, we could have 40,000 fans not renew their season tickets and the ground would still officially sell out with JCLs and tourists.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

sk-gtfo wrote:

Of course they could end up doing a West Ham and start giving away tickets at £5/£10 just to try and fill it up,
West Ham only do that for Cup games. Not known them to discount league games. Ditto Chelsea and Spurs. Even Arsenal do it in the League Cup.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:09 pm
Thousands of season tickets holders either put their season tickets on exchange or don't bother turning up, that is the reason for the empty seats. Arsenal is still maximising their matchday revenue whether there is 40,000 or 60,000 in the ground. The season ticket waiting list is as long as ever.

There will never be a situation where we have to sell tickets at vastly discounted prices like Worst Ham. The main reason for that (and I have said this before) being that Arsenal is a huge draw for football tourists. We had football tourists try to take our seats before the Everton game just so a group of them could sit together, needless to say, we told them to fuck off, they were German and they tried to do the equivalent of getting in early and stealing the sun loungers. This is in the North Lower as well.

The club has got the fans by the short and curlies, we could have 40,000 fans not renew their season tickets and the ground would still officially sell out with JCLs and tourists.
3 years with no Champions League football and other English teams outspending us and that will all change.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:09 pm
... we could have 40,000 fans not renew their season tickets and the ground would still officially sell out with JCLs and tourists.
I can't see that happening. The reason Arsenal have 45,000 is to guarantee 60,000 seats sold. They might find enough silver, red and tourists to buy 15,000 for Arsenal v Stoke at Category B, but they would not find enough to buy 50,000 plus. Still amazed I got tickets for last year's semi at Wembley despite being a pretty infrequent silver member only turning up for category C and league cup games. £30 is enough to pay for football as far as I'm concerned.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I see it pretty simplistically - fickle tourist fans chase success. There are tons of Brits who go to Barcelona or Madrid and take in a "matchday experience" on a city break. Why? Because they play the best football and have the best players.

Imagine that Barcelona then had El Shit for Brains in charge and went on a long run of mediocre, boring football spending year after year finishing 6th and selling the Messi's and Suarez's to more wealthy, attractive domestic rivals......whilst at the same time their city rivals were taken over by new owners and manager, overtook them, bought better players and played in the CL. Where would those same day trippers go then? I'd hazard a guess that they'd switch over pretty quickly as there is no affinity with the club......just a desire to watch the best football as a tourist

Its a lame duck excuse to say JCLs will always take up the seats. Our best player left in the window just gone and look at our starting XI now - how much magic dust is sprinkled through that team? I would say more tourists would prefer watching Kane or Hazard than they would watching our goons.....for now there are still 1 or 2 stars like Ozil and Aubameyang who might attract the visitors, but when 7th becomes the new normal they'll also be gone and we'll be like Leicester or Southampton, fucking around on the fringes of everything

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 pm
3 years with no Champions League football and other English teams outspending us and that will all change.
Success or failure makes little difference these days. The big six clubs seem to sell all their tickets regardless. Whereas in the 1970s and 1980s the crowds would drastically fall when the team were poor these days they are more stable.