Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

Post by StuartL »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 pm
And it hasn't got you anywhere, the ground is still full and Wenger is still here.
The support is far more passive now as people like yourself are replaced with those less likely to complain.
:blah:
In fairness it has got him somewhere - he is a good £10K richer for not wasting his time. :twisted:

In the end I'd rather boycotting did work but even if not at least I am not making Kroenke richer, if other people want to that is up to them, waste their money if they want!.
He could have got his £10,000 by just following the £200 to £10,000 thread in the basement couldn’t he :rubchin: :blah: :blah: :wink: p

augie

Post by augie »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:21 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am
I can see how attendances can be maintained by the tourists in London but surely overseas fans are not buying season tickets ?

if everyone had given up their season ticket 5 years ago Wenger (and probably Kroenke) would have been long gone
this is why I always say that the season ticket holders keep Wenger in a job (whether you support him or not)
The waiting list is still 10 years long, there is always someone willing to take the ticket. Plus when a season ticket holder puts his tickets one xchange, anyone can buy it that's a red member. So yes overseas fans can take these seats for one off games.

You still believe in santa clause ?? :shock: The way that season ticket waiting list scheme is meant to work is that if you are offered a season ticket and you decline, you are then put back to the bottom of the list to start again - explain to me then how I have been offered to chance to buy a season ticket 3 times in the past 4 years ? The waiting list is now a total myth and failing to sell out games when there are tickets on tx system, should tell you everything you need to know

Coincidentally (or is it ?), myself and my wife received emails today looking for us to confirm our details for the waiting list and our interest in purchasing one - the email said that should we still be interested, the club would likely to contact us again in may

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am
I can see how attendances can be maintained by the tourists in London but surely overseas fans are not buying season tickets ?

if everyone had given up their season ticket 5 years ago Wenger (and probably Kroenke) would have been long gone
this is why I always say that the season ticket holders keep Wenger in a job (whether you support him or not)
The waiting list is still 10 years long, there is always someone willing to take the ticket. Plus when a season ticket holder puts his tickets one xchange, anyone can buy it that's a red member. So yes overseas fans can take these seats for one off games.

You still believe in santa clause ?? :shock: The way that season ticket waiting list scheme is meant to work is that if you are offered a season ticket and you decline, you are then put back to the bottom of the list to start again - explain to me then how I have been offered to chance to buy a season ticket 3 times in the past 4 years ? The waiting list is now a total myth and failing to sell out games when there are tickets on tx system, should tell you everything you need to know

Coincidentally (or is it ?), myself and my wife received emails today looking for us to confirm our details for the waiting list and our interest in purchasing one - the email said that should we still be interested, the club would likely to contact us again in may
Why would people be literally queuing up to watch Wenger's stale team festering in higher midtable?, we've not won the tite in coming up 14 years and are a total irrelevance in Europe now.

Of course there will always be a certain number of day trippers, international fans etc. but not enough to fill the bowl for average games and the more stale, dull and weak the club becomes the harder it will be for the club to get the demand for tickets to remain, it's been dwindling for years.

I don't think it will make much difference to anything though, we will just plod on like all of Kroenke's sh*t sports franchises just being sh*t and playing in front of 40,000 instead of 50-60,000, the guy sucks the life out of everything he touches.

I would urge anyone who still goes to save their money but it's a free world, as I said before they can waste their money if they like, I don't get what enjoyment they get from it but each to their own.

I expect there to be a slight surge in demand when TOF finally leaves but it will probably be short lived unless we somehow can find a way to compete under this austerity regime with clubs that will outspend us by a huge margin as usual. For a fan Arsenal are simply poor value for money.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 pm
Ernie71 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm
I would think that most of season ticket holders are still going because they "support the Arsenal". No amount of saying we should boycott games to get rid of Wenger/Kroenke will change their mind.
So explain at the end of the Bertie Mee era in the mid 70's gates were as low as 15,000 and in the early to mid 80's under Neill and Howe gates were normally under 20,000. Only when we played Man Utd Liverpool and Spurs were there sell outs.This "we support Arsenal" argument holds no water.I support Arsenal but havent been to a game for 8 years.I refuse to attend while Wenger is in charge
And it hasn't got you anywhere, the ground is still full and Wenger is still here.
The support is far more passive now as people like yourself are replaced with those less likely to complain.
Oh yes it has the club have not got £1200 a year off me and the ground is not full

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

arrgee wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

That's the plan. Tipperary v Clare in June. Given half of my family are from Clare and the other half from Tipperary perhaps I should get one of those half and half scarfs and do the full tourist thing :barscarf:
You have to pick one team when they are playing each other or they'll think you're an eegit! You've actually got a choice of two proper Hurling counties, who stand a good chance of winning trophies at least! :barscarf:

Years back I saw a lad watching Wexford play a QF in the 12 Pins pub, with his WX shirt on. After the next QF game started he suddenly changed the jersey to Offaly :barscarf:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:45 pm
arrgee wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

That's the plan. Tipperary v Clare in June. Given half of my family are from Clare and the other half from Tipperary perhaps I should get one of those half and half scarfs and do the full tourist thing :barscarf:
You have to pick one team when they are playing each other or they'll think you're an eegit! You've actually got a choice of two proper Hurling counties, who stand a good chance of winning trophies at least! :barscarf:

Years back I saw a lad watching Wexford play a QF in the 12 Pins pub, with his WX shirt on. After the next QF game started he suddenly changed the jersey to Offaly :barscarf:
I will support Clare and my brother-in-law will support Tipperary.

There is this sort of nonsense that makes the half and half scarf tourist look less than commited.

https://www.oneills.com/half-half-count ... lts-1.html

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm

There is this sort of nonsense that makes the half and half scarf tourist look less than commited.

https://www.oneills.com/half-half-count ... lts-1.html
Seen babies wearing those! :barscarf: Not any adults so far but only a matter of time! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Another dive from Golden boy Kane last night that didnt warrant much scrutiny I see :roll:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Interesting posts.

As someone who gave up my ST back in 2014 when Wenger re-signed that summer, I sometimes wonder what it actually achieved. Or what anyone who did the same thing thinks it actually achieved?

Did we just take the easy option and give up too easily?

I thought my annual renewal was supporting the regime etc. and that what I was doing was wrong. I thought I was contributing to the status quo continuing. But it continues regardless.

It may have helped my bank balance each summer but I didnt exactly bring the tyrannical regime to an abrupt end did I?

Would the season ticket holders from the Highbury days who moved to the Emirates have made a more worthwhile contribution by retaining our presence inside the ground instead of walking away? That way, dissent, protests etc. could have taken part inside the stadium (in greater numbers than guys like NickF last season doing it almost alone) where they are many times more effective.

I cant help but feel we all played into the clubs hands and made things easier for them to carry on doing the things we are against.

In reality giving up your ST just meant someone else taking it. Retaining it but selling each game on TX is even more appealing for the club. They get your money, then they charge you for selling, they also charge the person who buys it, and then that person fills the seat. If its a rare visit for them, they'll probably end up buying food and splashing out more in the Armoury.

Even leaving the seat empty may look like some form of protest ... but an empty seat makes no sound and can be ignored.

If/when attendances continue to drop, some excuse will be made from the masters of spin (Wenger, Gazidis). And if they continue to fall, it will be a very slow process before it has any effect on people positions at the club. I doubt Kroenke gives a fuck about empty seats while he makes a profit - which he still will with the TV revenue etc.

The cold hard reality is that giving up the season ticked made no difference at all. It was probably the worst thing we could have done because we put ourselves on the outside where we dont have enough influence on things.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 am
Interesting posts.

As someone who gave up my ST back in 2014 when Wenger re-signed that summer, I sometimes wonder what it actually achieved. Or what anyone who did the same thing thinks it actually achieved?

Did we just take the easy option and give up too easily?

I thought my annual renewal was supporting the regime etc. and that what I was doing was wrong. I thought I was contributing to the status quo continuing. But it continues regardless.

It may have helped my bank balance each summer but I didnt exactly bring the tyrannical regime to an abrupt end did I?

Would the season ticket holders from the Highbury days who moved to the Emirates have made a more worthwhile contribution by retaining our presence inside the ground instead of walking away? That way, dissent, protests etc. could have taken part inside the stadium (in greater numbers than guys like NickF last season doing it almost alone) where they are many times more effective.

I cant help but feel we all played into the clubs hands and made things easier for them to carry on doing the things we are against.

In reality giving up your ST just meant someone else taking it. Retaining it but selling each game on TX is even more appealing for the club. They get your money, then they charge you for selling, they also charge the person who buys it, and then that person fills the seat. If its a rare visit for them, they'll probably end up buying food and splashing out more in the Armoury.

Even leaving the seat empty may look like some form of protest ... but an empty seat makes no sound and can be ignored.

If/when attendances continue to drop, some excuse will be made from the masters of spin (Wenger, Gazidis). And if they continue to fall, it will be a very slow process before it has any effect on people positions at the club. I doubt Kroenke gives a fuck about empty seats while he makes a profit - which he still will with the TV revenue etc.

The cold hard reality is that giving up the season ticked made no difference at all. It was probably the worst thing we could have done because we put ourselves on the outside where we dont have enough influence on things.

You on your own giving up your season ticket may not have had the effect that you were hoping for, but I would say to you that you are but one cog in the machine that is slowly tearing down the regime at AFC. I too gave up my season tickets a few seasons back, and apart from being slightly less in debt than I was, I also gained some satisfaction that I was no longer contributing to the wages of an outdated egotistical cuntbag manager, and that I was not willing to sign up for more of the same unambitious shite that the club think we should gratefully accept :evil: Do not for one second believe that there are plenty of people lined up chomping at the bit for season tickets cos it is no longer true - I already put up my story yesterday where the club are yet again emailing me about taking season tickets despite my refusal to do so in the past few years, but even more alarming for the club is when individual games cant sell out on ticket exchange, and that for some league cup games you dont even need to be a member to get tickets :o I hear all the old crap about the club not caring if the tickets are not selling on ticket exchange cos they have already been paid for the tickets, but frankly that is a simplistic/braindead view of the situation - the club will be well aware that if fans are not willing to pay £70-£100 for an individual ticket, there is fcuk all chance of getting those same fans to stump up £1500 for a season ticket when the inevitable drop outs come each summer. From a marketing point of view, having the tv cameras roll around showing empty seats all over the place on matchdays, will also hit the club very hard, and the business people running our club will be well aware of that too.

Anyway keep your chin up - change is a coming and when that day arrives, maybe all the wenker cock suckers will fcuk off with him, and old stagers like yourself will be back at your rightful place again 8)

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

augie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm
... the club will be well aware that if fans are not willing to pay £70-£100 for an individual ticket, there is fcuk all chance of getting those same fans to stump up £1500 for a season ticket when the inevitable drop outs come each summer.
Many people renew out of fear that they won't be able to get season tickets in the future (say when Arsenal are good again). Sometimes they loan them for a season or indefinitely. Also there are many who get the season tickets to "guarantee" cup final tickets even though that goes to a ballot with 45,000 of them. Interestingly silver and red members got final tickets this year so about a third of the season ticket holders didn't even try to get them (or there is the possibility they don't really exist and there are only actually 30,000 STHs). Back in the pre-Premier League era I had a standing season ticket but there was never a waiting list. And I think we are fast approaching a zero waiting list again.

I can't see it happening, but a season ticket boycott this summer would force change.

NickF

Post by NickF »

arrgee wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:05 pm
augie wrote:
... the club will be well aware that if fans are not willing to pay £70-£100 for an individual ticket, there is fcuk all chance of getting those same fans to stump up £1500 for a season ticket when the inevitable drop outs come each summer.
Many people renew out of fear that they won't be able to get season tickets in the future (say when Arsenal are good again). Sometimes they loan them for a season or indefinitely. Also there are many who get the season tickets to "guarantee" cup final tickets even though that goes to a ballot with 45,000 of them. Interestingly silver and red members got final tickets this year so about a third of the season ticket holders didn't even try to get them (or there is the possibility they don't really exist and there are only actually 30,000 STHs). Back in the pre-Premier League era I had a standing season ticket but there was never a waiting list. And I think we are fast approaching a zero waiting list again.

I can't see it happening, but a season ticket boycott this summer would force change.
You may be able to get a season ticket up in the gods but I very much doubt you would get one in the lower tier (although I could be wrong).

Augie, just curious, if you have given up your season ticket how are you then getting asked whether you want to buy one? Do you hold other memberships?

augie

Post by augie »

NickF wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 pm
arrgee wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:05 pm
augie wrote:

You may be able to get a season ticket up in the gods but I very much doubt you would get one in the lower tier (although I could be wrong).

Augie, just curious, if you have given up your season ticket how are you then getting asked whether you want to buy one? Do you hold other memberships?

Yes I have different memberships and I join the waiting list years and years ago cos there are 4 in our family

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

arrgee wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm
augie wrote:
The way that season ticket waiting list scheme is meant to work is that if you are offered a season ticket and you decline, you are then put back to the bottom of the list to start again - explain to me then how I have been offered to chance to buy a season ticket 3 times in the past 4 years ? The waiting list is now a total myth and failing to sell out games when there are tickets on tx system, should tell you everything you need to know
I never understood how Arsenal got 45,000 season ticket holders when back in the 1990s they wrote to me asking if I wanted one and I had never been on a waiting list. Did have a standing season ticket in 1980s but never bothered with a seated one. I know a few who have them who are always trying to sell them on. Don't think Arsenal care too much if the seat is empty or not as long as someone has paid for a seat. In fact they probably make a tidy sum in the booking fees on the re-sales.
Because in the mid 90s we were an absolute crock of shit, playing terrible sterile football and I can remember I gave mine up in the early 90s through work commitments and for about 2-3 years had them writing to me every year, until Wenger took over and we became successful again. Spurs fans I know locally went through exactly the same thing......until Jol took over and latterly Podgy you could get a season ticket any Summer you fancied at the Shitole. Now you can't - the waiting list was years long in latter days at the Lane

So.....exactly proves my point. Long periods without success and a boring product reduces demand, which is why I don't subscribe to this nonsense about if I give up my ST, someone else will just pick it up. Undeniably true for the past 20 years, not quite so true now, and 2-3 more years of being the new Spurs/Everton under Shit for Brains and it definitely won't be true.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:40 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm
Can't believe the despondency over attendances.
Newcastle, and city maintened their attendances after they were relegated. We're finishing 6th in the league FFS. Are Arsenal supporters that middle class they'd stop going cos the team finished 6th?
No, I think it is more the fact that we haven't challenged for the title for years and unlikely to while Wenger remains.
It was only two seasons ago we finished second.