Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:40 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm
Can't believe the despondency over attendances.
Newcastle, and city maintened their attendances after they were relegated. We're finishing 6th in the league FFS. Are Arsenal supporters that middle class they'd stop going cos the team finished 6th?
No, I think it is more the fact that we haven't challenged for the title for years and unlikely to while Wenger remains.
It was only two seasons ago we finished second.

Seriously, The season we pipped sp*rs for second on the last day?
we were out of contention for the title by March and finished a long way behind f*cking Leicester despite beating them twice.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Nos89 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Newcastle, and city maintened their attendances after they were relegated. We're finishing 6th in the league FFS. Are Arsenal supporters that middle class they'd stop going cos the team finished 6th?
No, I think it is more the fact that we haven't challenged for the title for years and unlikely to while Wenger remains.

We finished second without challenging for the title, did the Champions we finished second to finish in the top ten the following season?
We haven't challenged since 2007/08..

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm
arrgee wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:21 am
The way that season ticket waiting list scheme is meant to work is that if you are offered a season ticket and you decline, you are then put back to the bottom of the list to start again - explain to me then how I have been offered to chance to buy a season ticket 3 times in the past 4 years ? The waiting list is now a total myth and failing to sell out games when there are tickets on tx system, should tell you everything you need to know
I never understood how Arsenal got 45,000 season ticket holders when back in the 1990s they wrote to me asking if I wanted one and I had never been on a waiting list. Did have a standing season ticket in 1980s but never bothered with a seated one. I know a few who have them who are always trying to sell them on. Don't think Arsenal care too much if the seat is empty or not as long as someone has paid for a seat. In fact they probably make a tidy sum in the booking fees on the re-sales.
Because in the mid 90s we were an absolute crock of shit, playing terrible sterile football and I can remember I gave mine up in the early 90s through work commitments and for about 2-3 years had them writing to me every year, until Wenger took over and we became successful again. Spurs fans I know locally went through exactly the same thing......until Jol took over and latterly Podgy you could get a season ticket any Summer you fancied at the Shitole. Now you can't - the waiting list was years long in latter days at the Lane

So.....exactly proves my point. Long periods without success and a boring product reduces demand, which is why I don't subscribe to this nonsense about if I give up my ST, someone else will just pick it up. Undeniably true for the past 20 years, not quite so true now, and 2-3 more years of being the new Spurs/Everton under Shit for Brains and it definitely won't be true.
I disagree, as I said previously not only do we now have an international fan base we now have fans that travel from all four corners of the country to support the team home and away. We rip the shit out of Manure fans for travelling up the M1 to see them play at OT, we are really not that far behind.

In the 90s we had a much more local fan base which accounted for a half empty Highbury. Times are different.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the overseas fans market could well increase in coming years - the decline in the pound is meaning that it is becoming very affordable to pop over to London for a PL game - and the closest ground to the Eurostar is the Emirates.

what really amazed me was going to the World darts Championship over Christmas.
for all the sessions there were 68,000 tickets sold. One third of these went to darts fans in continental Europe. It was remarkable.
the section I was in being english I was in a minority!!

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm
the overseas fans market could well increase in coming years - the decline in the pound is meaning that it is becoming very affordable to pop over to London for a PL game - and the closest ground to the Eurostar is the Emirates.

what really amazed me was going to the World darts Championship over Christmas.
for all the sessions there were 68,000 tickets sold. One third of these went to darts fans in continental Europe. It was remarkable.
the section I was in being english I was in a minority!!
Similar with concerts at The O2; incredible how far people travel to see U2 and how much they pay.
One stop on the jubilee line was far enough for me to travel to see them with my complimentary ticket.
(to be fair they were better than I expected)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:43 am
Nos89 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

We finished second without challenging for the title, did the Champions we finished second to finish in the top ten the following season?
We haven't challenged since 2007/08..
Agree that 2007/08 was the last time we looked seriously capable of challenging for the title. We were definitely contenders until about mid-February. Unfortunately we managed to take 8 points from 8 games and were 9 points off the pace and out the title race by mid-April with a few games left - a pretty weak challenge by that measure.