Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
arrgee

Re: Scum|Away|PL|10th Feb|12:30

Post by arrgee »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:18 am
According to BBC 109,000 overseas fans visited the Emirates in 2014 with only manure being on a par, it's going to be a lot more this year. My point remains, don't think to boycott the club will hurt them, they have so many other income streams it's effect will be minimal.
Agreed. That is about 5,000/game and when you add on out of towners and people working in London for the week and so on, that could make 10,000 plus per game. And most of them spend a few quid in the shop.

NickF

Post by NickF »

I would think that most of season ticket holders are still going because they "support the Arsenal". No amount of saying we should boycott games to get rid of Wenger/Kroenke will change their mind.

GTG

Post by GTG »

Lets be honest nobody should have to vote with their feet.

At more or less every other club if supporters and particularly season ticket holders are not happy then they will protest in the ground. After a few weeks of proper protest things normally get changed.

There are so many examples of this.

Sadly amongst our support there is no appetite to do this. Something I will never understand. As long as its peaceful there is very little the club can do to stop it.

Personally I feel that we are way beyond the point where Wenger derserves too much respect for that to happen but most still believe that or simply would rather not protest. Its a totally hapless task.

The only hope of him going is if someone grows a pair at the club or things get so bad his ego cant handle anymore.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

GTG wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:50 pm

At more or less every other club if supporters and particularly season ticket holders are not happy then they will protest in the ground. After a few weeks of proper protest things normally get changed.

Sadly amongst our support there is no appetite to do this. Something I will never understand. As long as its peaceful there is very little the club can do to stop it.

Personally I feel that we are way beyond the point where Wenger derserves too much respect for that to happen but most still believe that or simply would rather not protest. Its a totally hapless task.

The only hope of him going is if someone grows a pair at the club or things get so bad his ego cant handle anymore.

I fear that this proves that the people who actually attend Arsenal regularly now are a very different breed to those who attended at Highbury. While this is probably true of all London clubs to an extent (as premier league football has become expensive to watch and many have been 'priced out'), I think our fan turnover is unparalleled. I'd estimate that at Tottenham and Chelsea at least 60% of those who go regularly were going a decade ago. I doubt that it's more than 30% at Arsenal. It's the new breed of "customer" that can't relate to the anger that the disenfranchised majority feel about what has happened to our club.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 pm
I fear that this proves that the people who actually attend Arsenal regularly now are a very different breed to those who attended at Highbury. While this is probably true of all London clubs to an extent (as premier league football has become expensive to watch and many have been 'priced out'), I think our fan turnover is unparalleled. I'd estimate that at Tottenham and Chelsea at least 60% of those who go regularly were going a decade ago. I doubt that it's more than 30% at Arsenal. It's the new breed of "customer" that can't relate to the anger that the disenfranchised majority feel about what has happened to our club.
Totally correct, a lot walked away when we move grounds and over the last few years more have left because we are going nowhere as a team.
Not saying all, but a lot of those that replaced them have no idea how to behave a football ground and even less about what supporting your team is all about. That is one of the reasons I don't go anymore - when it is apparent we have no chance of winning the league, there are around 10k no shows and the place is like a morgue.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm
I would think that most of season ticket holders are still going because they "support the Arsenal". No amount of saying we should boycott games to get rid of Wenger/Kroenke will change their mind.
So explain at the end of the Bertie Mee era in the mid 70's gates were as low as 15,000 and in the early to mid 80's under Neill and Howe gates were normally under 20,000. Only when we played Man Utd Liverpool and Spurs were there sell outs.This "we support Arsenal" argument holds no water.I support Arsenal but havent been to a game for 8 years.I refuse to attend while Wenger is in charge

NickF

Post by NickF »

Ernie71 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm
So explain at the end of the Bertie Mee era in the mid 70's gates were as low as 15,000 and in the early to mid 80's under Neill and Howe gates were normally under 20,000. Only when we played Man Utd Liverpool and Spurs were there sell outs.This "we support Arsenal" argument holds no water.I support Arsenal but havent been to a game for 8 years.I refuse to attend while Wenger is in charge
And it hasn't got you anywhere, the ground is still full and Wenger is still here.
The support is far more passive now as people like yourself are replaced with those less likely to complain.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Ticket exchange means that people are less inclined to give up season tickets because they can pick and choose which games to go to and only take a slim hit on the rest (or slim by the standards of most people who can afford to shell out on a season ticket.

Which means that for less attractive games the days of 50k crowds but a 60k official attendance are around for a good while longer.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Can't believe the despondency over attendances.
Newcastle, and city maintened their attendances after they were relegated. We're finishing 6th in the league FFS. Are Arsenal supporters that middle class they'd stop going cos the team finished 6th?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm
Newcastle, and city maintened their attendances after they were relegated. We're finishing 6th in the league FFS. Are Arsenal supporters that middle class they'd stop going cos the team finished 6th?
Yes. To a certain extent yes. In Northern towns and cities the fans are more passionate and obsessive about their team in greater numbers.

Trevor Ross

Post by Trevor Ross »

Arsenal now has by far the most cringeworthy match-going fanbase in the top flight and by far the most changed over the past 20 years, so many fans of other clubs have said that to me and you can see it in every embarrassing close up during a game. Would be nice to believe that most of them would follow Le Fraud out the door to whatever institution he decides to destroy next, but I'm sure they'll all hang around in the certain knowledge that he'll be returning for a job upstairs to poison the minds of all future mangers.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 pm
GTG wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Not always, I used to stand in the North Bank mate. There are loads of middle-aged Gooners around me that have been going for decades.

Comparing the Spuds and Chelski is disingenuous. We have gone from all-conquering to also rans in a decade, Chelski have won everything and the Spuds have improved immeasurably too. Spuds have hit the sweet spot with overtaking us and building a new ground that hosts CL football.

Despite this, we are the best-supported club in London. Miles ahead of Chelski and Tottenham have only caught up this season. There are still well over 100,000 red/silver members.
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm
No, I think it is more the fact that we haven't challenged for the title for years and unlikely to while Wenger remains.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 pm
And it hasn't got you anywhere, the ground is still full and Wenger is still here.
The support is far more passive now as people like yourself are replaced with those less likely to complain.
In fairness it has got him somewhere - he is a good £10K richer for not wasting his time. :twisted:

In the end I'd rather boycotting did work but even if not at least I am not making Kroenke richer, if other people want to that is up to them, waste their money if they want!.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Trevor Ross wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm
Arsenal now has by far the most cringeworthy match-going fanbase in the top flight and by far the most changed over the past 20 years, so many fans of other clubs have said that to me and you can see it in every embarrassing close up during a game. Would be nice to believe that most of them would follow Le Fraud out the door to whatever institution he decides to destroy next, but I'm sure they'll all hang around in the certain knowledge that he'll be returning for a job upstairs to poison the minds of all future mangers.
Funnily enough I had a thought today (wrote it down quick in case I forgot ;) ) that perhaps they would start an Arsene F.C and he could build a club from nothing, and a new stadium and turn it into a European giant because he apparently turned little old unknown Arsenal FC into a modern day giant :roll: