Munich 1958.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Munich 1958.

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30 am
To be fair to the mancs, by the time of Hillsborough they had endured many years of that charming little ditty (To the tune we know as "Who's that team they call The Arsenal") being sung full throttle by thousands of scousers, with words recalling Busby and his boys dying in the snow..

Their post-Hillsborough repost, so far as I recall, was all the more devastating by being restricted to "Where's your famous Munich song?".
It's wasn't. They also have been known to regularly sing:

"Who's that standing at Hillsborough
Who's that turning fucking blue.
It's a Scouser and his mate, getting crushed on Hillsborough's gates.
And they won't be singing Munich anymore"

Shameful. But then we also have a minority of arseholes in our fans base that make the hissing gas chamber noise at the scum.

:|

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Was looking for footage on YouTube of their final game in England which took place at Highbury. I'm sure I've seen footage on an Arsenal video/ dvd of that particular game.
There's footage of Duncan Edwards in the '57 cup final and to think he wouldn't be out of place in the modern game, shows just how good a player he was at just 20 years of age.
It still makes me think how big a loss it was for football, and the history of the English game. If that dreadful accident hadn't occurred it would have been Edwards and England raising that Jules Rimet trophy, and not Pele's Brazil.
It's to Arsenal's credit that they mention that 5-4 game in their history timeline. It should never be forgotten.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm
Was looking for footage on YouTube of their final game in England which took place at Highbury. I'm sure I've seen footage on an Arsenal video/ dvd of that particular game.
There's footage of Duncan Edwards in the '57 cup final and to think he wouldn't be out of place in the modern game, shows just how good a player he was at just 20 years of age.
It still makes me think how big a loss it was for football, and the history of the English game. If that dreadful accident hadn't occurred it would have been Edwards and England raising that Jules Rimet trophy, and not Pele's Brazil.
It's to Arsenal's credit that they mention that 5-4 game in their history timeline. It should never be forgotten.

Why ? Was it meant to be held in england ? :?