Munich 1958.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
wilko49er

Munich 1958.

Post by wilko49er »

Well i know a lot of us cant stand the Mancs, especially the blue lot. But 60 years ago today was tragic day for Football, losing some very talented players, who could have gone on too do great things.
RIP all who lost their lives that day. Just thought this needed a mention.

DB10GOONER

Re: Munich 1958.

Post by DB10GOONER »

If I recall correctly the last time we had a thread about Munich it saw some pretty poor stuff posted.

If anyone posts on this thread please try to remember the men that died that day were not the same type of cheating pampered odious ceeunts that have played for manure over the last 20 or so years. They were mostly just regular married lads with families.

It was a tragic loss. RIP.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

It's a horrible story and RIP to all those who lost their lives. My sympathies are with those remembering today. I've always thought that the tragedy has been handled in a very dignified manner by Man Utd.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Way, way before my time, but wasn't their last game in the UK a classic against us at Highbury?
My dear old dad mentioned it as one of the greatest games he ever saw.

RIP to all those that lost their lives.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

NickF wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 pm
Way, way before my time, but wasn't their last game in the UK a classic against us at Highbury?

I believe the score was Arsenal 4 Man United 5. Surely Wenger hasn't been in charge of our defence for 60 years?

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

And to think Leeds fans have songs about it

herbert

Post by herbert »

NickF wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Before my time as well but older members of the family always rave about what a great side they were and full of praise for 20/21 year old Duncan Edwards who was on the way to being the best English player of all time,I have watched videos of him and he seems to be playing more of a centre back role than a midfielder but watching the clips with a bit of imagination and especially a game against villa in 57 you can see that he would have been at the very least a great holding midfielder
63,000 packed into the old girl to see a united side win 5-4
https://www.arsenal.com/history/post-wa ... ore-munich

RIP

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pm
If I recall correctly the last time we had a thread about Munich it saw some pretty poor stuff posted.

If anyone posts on this thread please try to remember the men that died that day were not the same type of cheating pampered odious ceeunts that have played for manure over the last 20 or so years. They were mostly just regular married lads with families.

It was a tragic loss. RIP.
Nice one.

augie

Post by augie »

I get that it was a shocking tragedy (especially in an era where people werent surrounded by tragedies), and it was hard on the families concerned, but at what stage do "occasions" like this drift into the background and become something just for their own club ? Every year it seems that these anniversaries like this and hillsborough are being pushed down everyone's throats and that all football fans everywhere should be in mourning for these occasions, and I'm sorry but I dont feel that way. I will also say that if either of those incidents involved my club, I would greatly resent the fact that, what should be a private occasion for Gooners, is now being "marketed" for pr reasons by people who have nothing to do with it :evil:
Anyway back to my original question, at what stage are occasions like this going to be allowed to publicly fade into the background ? At this stage is there many of that squad still alive ? Would there be many family members still alive ?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Was there as a10 year old. It was a see saw game , they went ahead we came back and they finished us off. Walked home with a real buzz having seen something special.The news from Munich affected the whole country and the sympathy set United up to be the power house they are now. People talk about United's class of 92 but these players were a different era but just as good, Edwards,Taylor, etc glad I saw them ,sorry it ended the way it did.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 pm
I get that it was a shocking tragedy (especially in an era where people werent surrounded by tragedies), and it was hard on the families concerned, but at what stage do "occasions" like this drift into the background and become something just for their own club ? Every year it seems that these anniversaries like this and hillsborough are being pushed down everyone's throats and that all football fans everywhere should be in mourning for these occasions, and I'm sorry but I dont feel that way. I will also say that if either of those incidents involved my club, I would greatly resent the fact that, what should be a private occasion for Gooners, is now being "marketed" for pr reasons by people who have nothing to do with it :evil:
Anyway back to my original question, at what stage are occasions like this going to be allowed to publicly fade into the background ? At this stage is there many of that squad still alive ? Would there be many family members still alive ?
To be fair I don't think the mancs market this the way the scousers do with Hillsborough. They've always seemed to be fairly dignified and low key. The media scum seem to have hijacked the 60th anniversary in the way the media scum do. There were two survivors and their families at the ceremony today as far as I know.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:39 pm
As do the Scousers. Although the mancs do have a terrible song about Shankly's death. Every club has its scum element I guess. :|

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
As do the Scousers. Although the mancs do have a terrible song about Shankly's death. Every club has its scum element I guess. :|
And it’s far from unheard of for Hillsborough chants to be sung by United fans. They all point fingers but they’re all at it.

Every club has its idiots (ours included) but some of the stuff that goes on up there is disgraceful. Rarely have any cause to credit Spurs fans but I remember Rocky’s minute’s silence being impeccably observed. Doubt that would have happened if those clubs were involved instead.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:01 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
And it’s far from unheard of for Hillsborough chants to be sung by United fans. They all point fingers but they’re all at it.

Every club has its idiots (ours included) but some of the stuff that goes on up there is disgraceful. Rarely have any cause to credit Spurs fans but I remember Rocky’s minute’s silence being impeccably observed. Doubt that would have happened if those clubs were involved instead.
Yeah credit to the scum for that. I remember thinking at the time that some fucker from their lot would give it large or something but you could hear a pin drop.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

To be fair to the mancs, by the time of Hillsborough they had endured many years of that charming little ditty (To the tune we know as "Who's that team they call The Arsenal") being sung full throttle by thousands of scousers, with words recalling Busby and his boys dying in the snow..

Their post-Hillsborough repost, so far as I recall, was all the more devastating by being restricted to "Where's your famous Munich song?".