Once upon a time We Were Arsenal Fans...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Allgunsblazin

Once upon a time We Were Arsenal Fans...

Post by Allgunsblazin »

When I look back over several decades of my first visit to Highbury, looking through those green park type railings where your eyes were level with the lush green turf on the East Lower a stones throw from the schoolboys entrance, I wonder how we have mutated to this poor grey anti social barren shell of an excuse of a stadium...
It took a while for the penny to sink, in the words of P Diddy Wood, "Arsenal were to compete with the best and a new Arsenal Dynasty was about to rise"....
What did we get from this move?
I suppose we were close to the EPL on a couple of occasions, but what really shines through this whole period are the fumbling at the bra straps when it came to transfer dealings, it is a fact that ex Arsenal players went on to other clubs and actually won an EPL medal, something which Wenger could not deliver, and the reason for this was that he was setting up his own dynasty, which was probably what P Diddy Wood meant.

The introduction of "That American" Silent Stan, or Semen Stain Stan really put paid to whatever little ambition the club had in terms of silverware and our reliance on the old FA Cup to keep the fan base quiet...
I think we are now going to see a further steady decline with these two individuals who are sucking the life out of a once proud club...

And from a young wide eyed child full of hope and anticipation when I first entered Highbury, I have become a sore bitter individual that could not give a damn whether we win or not!
That is so not right!
But that is what this regime has down to me...

Perryashburtongroves

Re: Once upon a time We Were Arsenal Fans...

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Sad but true points there, mate. I think the single most damaging factor was giving Wanker unchecked power and treating him like some sort of demi-God. Giving this ego-maniac complete control with nobody standing up to him meant that poor decisions were made, all centered around his narcissism resulted in a complete lack of accountability and ground being lost on competitors for years surrounding the move from Highbury. I honestly think he couldn't believe his luck, he was allowed to do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted, all the time being hailed as a genius by his fawning little luuvvies. Everything that has happened over the last 12-15 years, the shit design of the ground, the shit transfers, the trophy drought, the exodus of decent players, the embarrassing defeats, the woeful organisation during matches, the collapses every February-May can be traced back to allowing the biggest fucking charlatan in world football to pursue his own little vanity project or vanity battle at the expense of the good of the club.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I agree with your view but also can't see why we needed a new thread for you to express it. This could have gone quite comfortably into one of our many Anti-Wenger/Anti-Wiggy threads. It's not like there isn't plenty to choose from.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:42 am
When I look back over several decades of my first visit to Highbury, looking through those green park type railings where your eyes were level with the lush green turf on the East Lower a stones throw from the schoolboys entrance, I wonder how we have mutated to this poor grey anti social barren shell of an excuse of a stadium...
It took a while for the penny to sink, in the words of P Diddy Wood, "Arsenal were to compete with the best and a new Arsenal Dynasty was about to rise"....
What did we get from this move?
I suppose we were close to the EPL on a couple of occasions, but what really shines through this whole period are the fumbling at the bra straps when it came to transfer dealings, it is a fact that ex Arsenal players went on to other clubs and actually won an EPL medal, something which Wenger could not deliver, and the reason for this was that he was setting up his own dynasty, which was probably what P Diddy Wood meant.

The introduction of "That American" Silent Stan, or Semen Stain Stan really put paid to whatever little ambition the club had in terms of silverware and our reliance on the old FA Cup to keep the fan base quiet...
I think we are now going to see a further steady decline with these two individuals who are sucking the life out of a once proud club...

And from a young wide eyed child full of hope and anticipation when I first entered Highbury, I have become a sore bitter individual that could not give a damn whether we win or not!
That is so not right!
But that is what this regime has down to me...
When I was growing up in the late 70s early 80s I never thought I would see Arsenal win the League. I've seen them win 5 titles. Ok it's not Liverpool or Man Utd quality but every title was amazing.
Football is all about money now so I'm happy I saw us win when we did. I will never understand how Wenger got it so right in the first 10 years and then so wrong in the next 12. Defensively shocking year after year.
Kroenke has no ambition for Arsenal so we are doomed unless by some miracle there is a change. I've said it before but while pep is at City I don't see United winning the title either no matter how much they spend. Overall though we have been so poor this season it's scary as to how far we could drop.