Arsenal sign record shirt deal with Emirates

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: Arsenal sign record shirt deal with Emirates

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm
This deal has the hallmarks of panic from the club, why are we going back to signing "long term" deals?, probably because the club is heading downhill so the board are going ultra conservative by signing up for a mediocre but reasonable sum before sponsors realise we are permanently out of the CL, in fairness we can't blame Ivan for this, he is working within the confines of the wiggy & wenger regime which is causing this once great club to become the worst of the big 6 and potentially even worse than that over the next few years.

Does this deal include naming of stadium rights ? If so this would be a shocking value for money deal

I too would have an issue with the "long term" deals scenario - in the previous post by no.89 he lists a link to an article in the sun which states that our kit deal which was signed with puma in 2013, has been left well behind our rivals since. We were told when we went to the souless hole, that it was necessary to structure our commercial deals as long term with a heavy slice up front - now that we are in a good position financially, why commit to long term deals which will be passed out by our rivals before our deal expires ? Panic at our failing brand is the reason why, and it is very much one of those "you reap what you sow" situations
The stadium naming rights is a different deal Augie (goes to 2028 I believe) so this is a standalone shirt sponsor arrangement. We're also supposed to be lining up a sleeve sponsor for next season for a cool 10 mill a year- long overdue.

I have argued in the past that it's beyond stupid to sign long term deals in the crazy world of modern football - signing with Puma for 5 years was madness for example, £30m per year was impressive at the time but absolute pittance now. The Adidas deal is all but done for the season after next at £60m per year but we really should be on that sort of cash by now if it weren't for stupidly signing for so long last time.

However, in this case I think we're right to take the Emirates money being offered. Let's be honest we're not a massive draw for sponsors at the moment - another year outside the top 4 is nailed on making it 14 without a league title and (hopefully I'm wrong on this) but despite being in the final on Sunday and knocking around in the latter stages of the Europa we'll probably win F all this season. We've also just sold our best player to a "rival" :roll: so £40m a season for a club that’s rocking last 32 games in Ostersunds and has a busted flush of a manager who's staying put until 2025 is good money if you can get it.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:44 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm
This deal has the hallmarks of panic from the club, why are we going back to signing "long term" deals?, probably because the club is heading downhill so the board are going ultra conservative by signing up for a mediocre but reasonable sum before sponsors realise we are permanently out of the CL, in fairness we can't blame Ivan for this, he is working within the confines of the wiggy & wenger regime which is causing this once great club to become the worst of the big 6 and potentially even worse than that over the next few years.

Does this deal include naming of stadium rights ? If so this would be a shocking value for money deal

I too would have an issue with the "long term" deals scenario - in the previous post by no.89 he lists a link to an article in the sun which states that our kit deal which was signed with puma in 2013, has been left well behind our rivals since. We were told when we went to the souless hole, that it was necessary to structure our commercial deals as long term with a heavy slice up front - now that we are in a good position financially, why commit to long term deals which will be passed out by our rivals before our deal expires ? Panic at our failing brand is the reason why, and it is very much one of those "you reap what you sow" situations
The stadium naming rights is a different deal Augie (goes to 2028 I believe) so this is a standalone shirt sponsor arrangement. We're also supposed to be lining up a sleeve sponsor for next season for a cool 10 mill a year- long overdue.

I have argued in the past that it's beyond stupid to sign long term deals in the crazy world of modern football - signing with Puma for 5 years was madness for example, £30m per year was impressive at the time but absolute pittance now. The Adidas deal is all but done for the season after next at £60m per year but we really should be on that sort of cash by now if it weren't for stupidly signing for so long last time.

However, in this case I think we're right to take the Emirates money being offered. Let's be honest we're not a massive draw for sponsors at the moment - another year outside the top 4 is nailed on making it 14 without a league title and (hopefully I'm wrong on this) but despite being in the final on Sunday and knocking around in the latter stages of the Europa we'll probably win F all this season. We've also just sold our best player to a "rival" :roll: so £40m a season for a club that’s rocking last 32 games in Ostersunds and has a busted flush of a manager who's staying put until 2025 is good money if you can get it.
Yes let’s just put it this way, £40m to have emirates logo on our shirts the third highest deal in world football for the 6th best team in the PL is good business. If Adidas pay us £60m for replica shirts a combined figure that’s not far off our annual gate receipts. Then add the insane amounts of tv money coming through and Arsenal is turning over serious money for a failing football club,

wibble

Post by wibble »

Perhaps this is what Ivan meant when he said we are overperforming.

A few million more reasons for silent Stan to stay put

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

wibble wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 pm
Perhaps this is what Ivan meant when he said we are overperforming.

A few million more reasons for silent Stan to stay put
Bet Stan Semen Stain cannot believe his luck and gives thanks to David Dein and Red and White Holdings, the illusion goes on and on..... :lol:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I don't know where our money goes it not on the team that's for sure. Every year we seem to become richer and ricer. Millions made and shares going up and up. On the pitch mind you we keep dropping and dropping just like Elise Christie.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

The thing is Stan has the Golden Ticket, the brand makes more and more cash, he is like a pig in shit, doesn't have to do a thing and has introduced selling before buying, self financing model, he has it all, quite clever really!.....

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 am
The thing is Stan has the Golden Ticket, the brand makes more and more cash, he is like a pig in shit, doesn't have to do a thing and has introduced selling before buying, self financing model, he has it all, quite clever really!.....
Exactly, this is precisely how he operates, the reality is only one club can "succeed", to some extent at least, in spite of American ownership and that of course is Merchandise United, who have such massive commercial deals and hordes of glory hunting fans in the far east etc. that it doesn't matter that the Glazer's take money out, they can still pretty much match anyone other than Man City in the transfer market, although I think the Sanchez deal was more about trying to prove that than them actually really being able to as City can still outspend them if they really want to.

Stan doesn't need to be ambitious and try and win the PL by matching City or United's spending to make money from success, he can sit back, allow a very conservative transfer budget and Arsenal will continue to tick over a profit regardless of whether we are 3rd or 6th, I think some fans just don't want to accept this reality, obviously Wenger should go (should have gone 10 years ago) but I think this is beside the point in the bigger picture, we are f*cked either way now, I just can't get excited full stop about a club that has zero ambition from the very top.

If they can't be bothered why should I?.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 am
Exactly, this is precisely how he operates, the reality is only one club can "succeed", to some extent at least, in spite of American ownership and that of course is Merchandise United, who have such massive commercial deals and hordes of glory hunting fans in the far east etc. that it doesn't matter that the Glazer's take money out, they can still pretty much match anyone other than Man City in the transfer market, although I think the Sanchez deal was more about trying to prove that than them actually really being able to as City can still outspend them if they really want to.

Stan doesn't need to be ambitious and try and win the PL by matching City or United's spending to make money from success, he can sit back, allow a very conservative transfer budget and Arsenal will continue to tick over a profit regardless of whether we are 3rd or 6th, I think some fans just don't want to accept this reality, obviously Wenger should go (should have gone 10 years ago) but I think this is beside the point in the bigger picture, we are f*cked either way now, I just can't get excited full stop about a club that has zero ambition from the very top.

If they can't be bothered why should I?.
[/quote

I cannot help but get the feeling that Stan and Wenger have similarities and get on like a house on fire!...
They are both tight as arse holes, stubborn as fuck, and love making a fortune for themselves...
Wenger lost his touch ages ago, when he started having his fingers stuffed in everyone else's pies he actually forgot what his role was...
It has got worse and for the next two years or so Le Fucker will still be here!...

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm

I cannot help but get the feeling that Stan and Wenger have similarities and get on like a house on fire!...
They are both tight as arse holes, stubborn as fuck, and love making a fortune for themselves...
Wenger lost his touch ages ago, when he started having his fingers stuffed in everyone else's pies he actually forgot what his role was...
It has got worse and for the next two years or so Le Fucker will still be here!...
Yep they might as well be one and the same person, has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?.

:rubchin:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I think we were lucky to get this deal but also unlucky. Sponsors want to be part of a successful team. It doesn't mean winning the Prem but competing in the Champ League and doing well at home.
We should finish 6th and that's about it, so this deal will keep Kroenke happy which means he might not sack Wenger which is the unlucky bit