Carabao Cup Final v pimped small club | 16:30 | Sunday 25/02

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: Carabao Cup Final v pimped small club | 16:30 | Sunday 25/02

Post by NickF »

cameron326 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 am
If we play average to shit, we could feasibly lose this by 3 or 4 goals. Which wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to Wenger finishing his current contract.

Wenger is here till the end of next season (minimum) come what may. The club is not looking at single results, but overall league performance. His time could well be up by the end of next season on current results, but no sooner. In the meantime, best make the best of it, and make it a great day like it was against Chelsea.
They clearly aren't otherwise he would have gone years ago.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Wengers won 10 trophies in 21 seasons, George Graham won 6 in 9 seasons yet got sacked when it was clear we were struggling, along with £400k in a brown paper bag, which he gave back. It all happened 23 years ago this week.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

They are just as bad in defence as us but look better in attack. That said we do have our welsh centre forward (hat trick hero last time out), back for this one. !!. & the bloke we paid heaps for may just help him out a bit. 1-0 to the Arsenal. :barscarf: :barscarf:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

The media often decry how managers don't take the League Cup seriously, but I've been reading the papers online and there is barely an article about today's match. The BBC sports page features Sweden beating Korea in the women's curling final and 'Did Pogba make your combined Chelsea / Manure team?', but nothing on the match.

It's no wonder there's a lack of enthusiasm. I'll probably get antsy at kick-off because I hate losing, but right now I've very little interest. It's not the trophy we wanted to be competing for, it's not what the club promised us, a win wouldn't even paper over the cracks and nobody else seems bothered.

I don't know if it's me, the club or modern football, but it's depressing.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am
The media often decry how managers don't take the League Cup seriously, but I've been reading the papers online and there is barely an article about today's match. The BBC sports page features Sweden beating Korea in the women's curling final and 'Did Pogba make your combined Chelsea / Manure team?', but nothing on the match.

It's no wonder there's a lack of enthusiasm. I'll probably get antsy at kick-off because I hate losing, but right now I've very little interest. It's not the trophy we wanted to be competing for, it's not what the club promised us, a win wouldn't even paper over the cracks and nobody else seems bothered.

Agree with all this, to me the best thing to sum up the cardboard cup is the fact that it is only shown on Sky, all the other 'big' football cup finals - FA, CL, WC are all shown on non-pay TV.

It also doesn't help that winning second rate (third in this case) trophies seems to always result in Wenger getting a new contract. :roll:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

GranadaJoe wrote: The media often decry how managers don't take the League Cup seriously, but I've been reading the papers online and there is barely an article about today's match. The BBC sports page features Sweden beating Korea in the women's curling final and 'Did Pogba make your combined Chelsea / Manure team?', but nothing on the match.

More interest in the press in women's curling than this game. That's some achievement :lol:

beck

Post by beck »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:27 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am

Agree with all this, to me the best thing to sum up the cardboard cup is the fact that it is only shown on Sky, all the other 'big' football cup finals - FA, CL, WC are all shown on non-pay TV.

It also doesn't help that winning second rate (third in this case) trophies seems to always result in Wenger getting a new contract. :roll:
The champs league final has not been on free to air TV since 2015
The league cup final was only live on free to air TV between 1984 and 1996
Including our 87 win v Liverpool our 88 defeat to Luton and our 93 win v Sheffield Wednesday
TV companies deciding weather we should get excited about being in a final?
God the Misarableness knows no bounds
I guess our 1971 league win doesn't count because there was no live league games then
In fact there was not even midweek highlights

Midz

Post by Midz »

Carabao is an energy drink from Thailand that you can't (why you would want to puzzles me) buy here.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Midz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 pm
Carabao is an energy drink from Thailand that you can't (why you would want to puzzles me) buy here.
lol I didn't know that, I mean I don't do energy drinks but that is quite laughable really, says a lot about modern football.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Look at it this way: if we lose it will put pressure on 'Le délirant'.

beck

Post by beck »

Hope I have time to run into littlewoods Oxford street before today's final
I mean the sponsor of the trophy is the most important thing isn't it ?
It is still 2005 isn't it
Must checkout that brokeback mountain while I'm up there

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

feel proper jealous of those that say they don't care if we win today, getting fucking tense right now, i know i shouldn't expect anything but this could be a great day

please give us something to celebrate this season lads :barscarf:

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

NickF wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:22 pm
cameron326 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 am
If we play average to shit, we could feasibly lose this by 3 or 4 goals. Which wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to Wenger finishing his current contract.

Wenger is here till the end of next season (minimum) come what may. The club is not looking at single results, but overall league performance. His time could well be up by the end of next season on current results, but no sooner. In the meantime, best make the best of it, and make it a great day like it was against Chelsea.
They clearly aren't otherwise he would have gone years ago.
Upteenth CL qualifications is pure success for the board. Two seasons outside of the CL is disappointing for them, but not as catastrophic as it would have been had it happened five/ten seasons back. (TV money increase, and stadium debt nearly paid off). A 3rd consecutive league flop next year could do for Wenger, but there's not a chance in hell of them kicking him out before then.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ray C wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 am
They are just as bad in defence as us but look better in attack. That said we do have our welsh centre forward (hat trick hero last time out), back for this one. !!. & the bloke we paid heaps for may just help him out a bit. 1-0 to the Arsenal. :barscarf: :barscarf:
No way are they as bad as us in defence..... we have one of the most inept defences in the prem - that's why we are in 6th position and have lost so many away games this season. As for "messi lite" ( © DB10 ) - having just scored a hat trick he will missed at least 3 sitters this time.

:rubchin:

Score either 3-1 or 4 -1 as to which team will win that truly is in the lap of the Gods...actually no it's not it is in the lap of Satan - and whether or not wenkercuntslop's deal with him is still on.

:?

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 pm
feel proper jealous of those that say they don't care if we win today, getting fucking tense right now, i know i shouldn't expect anything but this could be a great day

please give us something to celebrate this season lads :barscarf:
Too true mate it’s a beautiful day the sun is shining now Arsenal give us all something to cheer about. Do your job Wenger and motivate which is something that has been badly missing this season.