Promotion to the prem.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Henry Norris 1913

Re: Promotion to the prem.

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

assuming wolves are safely up, fulham because it is a cracking away day, and millwall just for the novelty of it. wouldn't be opposed to bristol city but they're sliding down the table and i think they peaked too early.

villa can rot for a couple more years and sign about the european cup winning team none of them were there to see against burton and wigan. derby are a bit of a non entity, don't really mean anything to me, sheffield united could be decent as i've never been there, boro can stay there seeing as they offer nothing whatsoever to football, brentford would be nice. proper old school ground, standing away terrace :barscarf:

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Cardiff. Cardiff, Cardiff.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

storrmin571 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:19 pm
Cardiff. Cardiff, Cardiff.

A trip to Cardiff would be good fun.

I really liked the late - 70s.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm
arrgee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 pm
Cardiff if son ends up at university there.
Fulham as it's a good day out ditto Brentford with pubs on every corner of the ground. Unlikely to see Arsenal at either but I know a few out of towners who may invite me along to away end.
Anyone but Middlesbrough. Used to be a horrible place to go back in the 1980s.

I wouldn't mind dirty Leeds getting back again, but they are off the pace. Love beating them,
I only went to Middlesboro once, that was enough, a late 1-0 Hayes goal in 89, setting us up nicely to clinch the title with home games v Derby and Wimbledon to come. :barscarf:
Ditto. Got locked in after and no one wanted to leave. Remember chanting about a boy's flares who was with the stewards. Been there a few times and it was always nasty on the way in from the station. Wasn't much fun driving there either with the smog monsters checking your car out when queued in traffic.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

arrgee wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:40 pm
StuartL wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm
arrgee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 pm
Cardiff if son ends up at university there.
Fulham as it's a good day out ditto Brentford with pubs on every corner of the ground. Unlikely to see Arsenal at either but I know a few out of towners who may invite me along to away end.
Anyone but Middlesbrough. Used to be a horrible place to go back in the 1980s.

I wouldn't mind dirty Leeds getting back again, but they are off the pace. Love beating them,
I only went to Middlesboro once, that was enough, a late 1-0 Hayes goal in 89, setting us up nicely to clinch the title with home games v Derby and Wimbledon to come. :barscarf:
Ditto. Got locked in after and no one wanted to leave. Remember chanting about a boy's flares who was with the stewards. Been there a few times and it was always nasty on the way in from the station. Wasn't much fun driving there either with the smog monsters checking your car out when queued in traffic.
Ha ha, yes I remember us taking the piss about his flares now you mention it (top marks for memory btw)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

I've lived in Derby 8 years now so definitely developed a soft spot for the rams; Derby going up would be fantastic! 8)

Sacking Shteve Mclaren TWICE has certainly been comedy gold - they deserve promotion just for that! :lol:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:28 am
I've lived in Derby 8 years now so definitely developed a soft spot for the rams; Derby going up would be fantastic! 8)

Sacking Shteve Mclaren TWICE has certainly been comedy gold - they deserve promotion just for that! :lol:

They are a proper football town. Good stadium and good support.

I'm probably showing my age, but Derby, Leeds and Wolves would bring back some memories.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 am
g88ner wrote:

I'm probably showing my age, but Derby, Leeds and Wolves would bring back some memories.
Was up in Nottingham yesterday looking around the Uni where my partners daughter is thinking of going to next season.

Still think of them as a “big” club in terms of relative success, and a decent ground, like you would rather have Leeds, Derby, Wolves, Forest up.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:36 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Was up in Nottingham yesterday looking around the Uni where my partners daughter is thinking of going to next season.

Still think of them as a “big” club in terms of relative success, and a decent ground, like you would rather have Leeds, Derby, Wolves, Forest up.
Just want dirty Leeds to go up so I can see them get hiding after hiding. I used to hate them more than Spurs! The fcuking number tags in their socks send me over the edge. Thank fcuk Arsenal never adopted that, though sadly they did adopt the wave to the crowd from the centre circle. Most dislikeable Xi to ever disgrace a football pitch.

beck

Post by beck »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:36 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Just want dirty Leeds to go up so I can see them get hiding after hiding. I used to hate them more than Spurs! The fcuking number tags in their socks send me over the edge. Thank fcuk Arsenal never adopted that, though sadly they did adopt the wave to the crowd from the centre circle. Most dislikeable Xi to ever disgrace a football pitch.

Hear hear
Hard to explain to the uninitiated how hated this Leeds team were
They invented so called professionalism like feigning injury just after they had scored
To take the heat out of a game
They could play as well as kick you though
Love these old pictures
This was at qpr where they were given a guard of honour as league champions
We had secured the title for them with a win at anfield on the Wednesday with a ray Kennedy goal ( wonder if herd went?)I had only been to London away games and semi finals at this stage.
Wasn't even highlights of midweek league games at this time
Athletico Madrid v celtic was on sportsnight
They were going to show any extra time in this European cup semi final but Madrid won 2-0( 1st leg was 0-0.) so it was just a John h stracey fight from the night before that was shown.
Qpr wanted more money so they didn't even show highlights on the big match
They showed the game where a Dennis law back heel for Man city sent Man Utd down at old Trafford.
Ray Kennedy scored his last arsenal goal in a3-3 draw at coventry( no coverage of this)
He signed for Liverpool the following season.
I did get taken by my grandad to qpr on the Tuesday
Brady scored in a 1-1 draw
There big bald centre back terry Mancini joined us the following season
A right character who found out he had Irish parentage
There is a story that when he made his debut in 73 v Poland
He nudged don givens during the anthems to say how long their anthem was
Givens informed him it's ours!
The past is a foreign country

dano

Additional places to lose matches next season

Post by dano »

Who do you want to see come up, and give new places to lose to (if Wenger stays)? Current top six are Wolves, Cardiff, AV, Fulham, Derby, and Middlebourgh, with Bristol City and Preston not far off.

augie

Re: Additional places to lose matches next season

Post by augie »

Unless the mods are doing fcuk all (again :roll: :wink: ) today, I would expect this to be merge in super quick time cos I think there is already another thread on this subject
Last edited by augie on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midz

Post by Midz »

right now we could lose at any of them if not all.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 am
Unless the mods are doing fcuk all (again :roll: :wink: ) today, I would expect this to be merge in super quick time cos I think there is already another thread on this subject
Book him Dano :redcard: (wasn’t a yellow available)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:23 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 am
Book him Dano :redcard: (wasn’t a yellow available)
:sex2: :sex2:

Oh hang on.... book him. :D