THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
storrmin571

Re: THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

Post by storrmin571 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:My daughter has spent the last week watching Scooby Doo meets Kiss. I've had to get my Kiss CDs down from the attic for her to listen to in the car. She's now told her mother she doesn't want a my little pony party for her birthday she wants a Kiss party, a Kiss poster and a Kiss T-shirt and go to their next show.

She's not 5 until October. Haven't got the heart to tell her that the blokes in Kiss are knocking 70. Its been a bit of fun listening to some of their stuff again.
Could be worse norm - she could be into Bue or gangster rap etc

Count Yer blessings Mate Belieeeeve me Count Yer Blessings. :wink: :D
The twins mother is trying to poison them with Beyonce and Jason Derullo. The boy loves Springsteen and she's got Kiss so I win.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

storrmin571 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:My daughter has spent the last week watching Scooby Doo meets Kiss. I've had to get my Kiss CDs down from the attic for her to listen to in the car. She's now told her mother she doesn't want a my little pony party for her birthday she wants a Kiss party, a Kiss poster and a Kiss T-shirt and go to their next show.

She's not 5 until October. Haven't got the heart to tell her that the blokes in Kiss are knocking 70. Its been a bit of fun listening to some of their stuff again.

The twins mother is trying to poison them with Beyonce and Jason Derullo. The boy loves Springsteen and she's got Kiss so I win.
Beyonce is banned from my house. 8)

KISS fucking ROOOOOCCCCKKKK!!!! :barscarf: 8)

My 12 year old daughter is brilliant. She listens to Metallica, GnR, Maiden, Foo Fighters, the Stones and the Chillis at home. But when her friends are round she listens to boybands and Katy Perry and all that vacuous pop shite so as to fit in and not be considered weird. The minute the bimbo squad leaves she'll throw on some Maiden or Stones to, and I quote, "cleanse my ears". She's been doing this since she was 9 or 10. :lol: 8)

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

My 12 year old daughter is brilliant. She listens to Metallica, GnR, Maiden, Foo Fighters, the Stones and the Chillis at home. But when her friends are round she listens to boybands and Katy Perry and all that vacuous pop shite so as to fit in and not be considered weird. The minute the bimbo squad leaves she'll throw on some Maiden or Stones to, and I quote, "cleanse my ears". She's been doing this since she was 9 or 10. :lol: 8)
My twins must be super advanced as they think mummys music is rubbish. I am a genius look upon me with awe :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

storrmin571 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

My twins must be super advanced as they think mummys music is rubbish. I am a genius look upon me with awe :barscarf:
:lol: :lol:

I worship at your altar. :bowing21:

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

About time someone else recognised my awesomeness

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

storrmin571 wrote:About time someone else recognised my awesomeness
I assumed it was a first. :lol: :wink:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Toots and the Maytals at Clapham yesterday...........fucking legend!!!

Lee "Scratch" Perry,mad as a box of frogs,but still good at 102 years old,

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:About time someone else recognised my awesomeness
I assumed it was a first. :lol: :wink:
I am a legend in Carmarthen. Although most of them are spud diggers and hedge layers

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:Toots and the Maytals at Clapham yesterday...........fucking legend!!!

Top man Robbo10 - I have got tickets to see them at Norwich UEA next week :barscarf
Ska / Reggae legends - Monkey Man, Pressure Drop, 54-46 was my number.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:Toots and the Maytals at Clapham yesterday...........fucking legend!!!

Top man Robbo10 - I have got tickets to see them at Norwich UEA next week :barscarf
Toots was awesome.....so glad i finally got to see him,really tight band too,not sure how many originals there were playing if any,but they were top quality!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:

Loved the Specials and love that song "Monkey Man". Reel Big Fish did a great cover of it during the USA ska punk "third wave" era in the 90s. Also loved Less Than Jake from that era. Brilliant band.

I hate the horseshit that snobbish ska "purists" come out with about the third wave, saying it isn't ska because of the punk influence and it being American, and then profess their love of "true 2 Tone ska" as denoted by bands like the Specials and the Selector. They seem to forget their own history. That 2 tone ska grew out of the original punk scene as much as it did from the ska revival of the late 70's / early 80s.

I fucking hate music snobs, the type of arseholes that listen to a certain type of music because they think it makes them cool or trendy or gives them street cred. It doesn't, you twats. :lol: :roll:

Listen to music because it makes you feel something or inspires you, not to impress other people. :oops: :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Loved the Specials and love that song "Monkey Man". Reel Big Fish did a great cover of it during the USA ska punk "third wave" era in the 90s. Also loved Less Than Jake from that era. Brilliant band.

I hate the horseshit that snobbish ska "purists" come out with about the third wave, saying it isn't ska because of the punk influence and it being American, and then profess their love of "true 2 Tone ska" as denoted by bands like the Specials and the Selector. They seem to forget their own history. That 2 tone ska grew out of the original punk scene as much as it did from the ska revival of the late 70's / early 80s.

I fucking hate music snobs, the type of arseholes that listen to a certain type of music because they think it makes them cool or trendy or gives them street cred. It doesn't, you twats. :lol: :roll:

Listen to music because it makes you feel something or inspires you, not to impress other people. :oops: :roll:
Nothing wrong with a bit of punk mate, The Clash manage to cross over 2 / 3 genre's and sound great in my book
(They also covered Pressure Drop by Toots)

The 2 Tone era was great in my youth, but owes everything to the original ska from Jamaica, which I am sure I didn't know about or appreciate at the time, ska just got to me, and still gets my feet dancing.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Nothing wrong with a bit of punk mate, The Clash manage to cross over 2 / 3 genre's and sound great in my book

The 2 Tone era was great in my youth, but owes everything to the original ska from Jamaica, which I am sure I didn't know about or appreciate at the time, ska just got to me, and still gets my feet dancing.
Yeah, have always loved metal, punk and ska.

But UK 2 Tone owed a lot to punk too, not just Jamaican ska; http://rocksgodiva.tripod.com/2tonetrail/id10.html In fact the man that really started 2 Tone, Jerry Dammers of Specials fame, was influenced more by reggae and punk, rather than ska per se. In the early days The Specials (The Special AKA) were a punk reggae band, not a strictly ska band; http://www.thespecials2.com/history.php

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

See I'll listen to the original ska generation,Two Tone and the "3rd wave" as you call it,I'm happy listen to Dennis Alcapone,Prince Buster,Desmond Dekker,Madness,The Beat,Sublime,Mighty Mighty Bosstones,a very good friend of mine is the singer (and huge Gooner)of The Dualers,you could argue The Dualers are the 4th wave of Ska,I'll listen to all Ska,

StuartL youll love Toots,and if you love Ska check out The Dualers,the "Back to Paradise" album is quality,

The Specials also did "Pressure Drop" which Toots Hibbert did,they do it really fucking well too.....

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

You cant listen to Ska/Reggae/Bluebeat or Rocksteady without tapping your feet!

I went to see Anti Nowhere League in Tunbridge Wells a few years back,what a great gig,and Killing Joke at the Roundhouse,fuck me I've seen Machinehead,G'n'R,Metallica and Pantera in their prime but Killing Joke were probably the loudest i've heard! Also really enjoy the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly,