The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Gunner Rob

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 pm
"" That aside, after the reunification of East/West Germany she has turned her country into a highly prosperous nation, that absolutely pisses on the UK in terms of productivity. ""

And there you have the reason for the people that you do not understand to vote the way they did. It's not about race as much as you might wish to portray it. It's about jobs and personal prosperity. For far too long the banks and city traders have run the roost here and successive governments have allowed them to get strong whilst ignoring the rest of the working population . Whilst you have swathes of people working full time for salaries around £ 16,000 to £20,000 and most others on short term contracts on national minimum wage you might begin to see why they voted the way they did. There is a strong belief that the Farming community has suffered at the expense of the C.A.P and the same by the fisheries policy with British boats on a 3% rule having to chuck tons of dead fish back into the sea because they are not allowed to land them . Sea Bass for instance 400 kg per month is the maximum quota for an inshore boat. The situation highlighted here :-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... th-50.html.
The people affected by all of this see the monied ( not using the word Elite ) people protecting themselves to the detriment of everyone else.
They want to see the investment in their lives , their livelihood, their pockets , their jobs.
They want their standards protected , they don't want to see the dictats coming from somewhere else telling them what to grow , instead of profitable crops , grow ones like sugar beet as animal feed whilst Tate and Lyle import sugar from sugar cane fields elsewhere. Don't plant wheat and barley convert your fields to oil seed rape which is good for Bio diesel and margarine whilst we import flour from the E.U.
The list of reasons are long and varied. The E.U reduced quotas for dairy production and many of U.K dairy farms went under approx 1000 in 2016 and at the same time they struck a deal to export milk , butter and cheese to a small emerging market like " CHINA". Guess why the price of butter has doubled ( it's not Brexit ) it's Brussels.
if you really think that Brexit is going to make the lower paid better off then you are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land!!!
I am not a banker and have no strong opinions on them either way, but you really need to stop focusing your anger on them. The fact is they do create a lot of prosperity for the country. Without that prosperity trickling down, AND the EU provision of funds to the poorer parts of the UK then the lower paid would be even worse off.

but lets look at the situation as it stands post Brexit - they won't do a deal however much money we throw at them, because as I have said all along - WE NEED THEM MORE THAN THEY NEED US!!

the UK looks set to become an impoverished backwater of Europe.
for those lucky enough still to be in a job, wages are not keeping up with inflation and so the general public is gradually getting poorer.
once Brexit happens this will only accelerate and for what? Is this the taking back control that the Leavers wanted ? I dont think so.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Yes the migrant workers problems are not good so we must ask what changed.10 -20-years ago we never had them .We grew our crops ,then came harvest time ,workers arrived picked the crop and then left to get grapes in France ,Spain or wherever. Now however it doesn't work that way.Wonder what changed.

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

I must add by the way that crops rot in fields due to damp wet weather
Trust me I'm a farmer ....

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

I see those poor fuckers walking along motorways and dual carriageways to get to Farmer Giles, and there was me thinking that Serfdom came from Russia..... :lol:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:35 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am

WTF!!! How does that make him part of the elite this is hilarious. Just because your parents are educated and have professional jobs, then send you to a private school that doesn't make you part of the elite.

One of my best friends is an accountant has one son, sent him to private school and then onto the London School of Economics. Both parents despite being in better than average paid jobs where positively skint for the duration of his education. Does that make him or them part of the "elite" or just wanting to better themselves. Somehow I don't think so.

So Obama was brought up in Hawaii, it's hardly the most wealthy part of the USA is it.
Typically, you read one line and then lose your shit without reading the full post or looking at the context. :roll: :lol:

I am refering to Obama, no one else. What that has to do with your friend is beyond me. This myth that Obama is a true "black president, representative of the majority of black Americans" is just that, a myth. He's as dyed in the wool a political elite as any other senior politician in the States.

As for your comment in red - It certainly does make you part of the elite if you then go into politics in the USA.

As many black voters and commentators (rightly or wrongly) abhor Obama as a "race traitor", as adore him for being the country's first "black president". Cornel West, a black philosopher, has called Obama “a Rockefeller Republican in blackface, a president more interested in Wall Street and drone strikes than the needs of black America".

Obama is not truly representative of the "Black Experience" in the USA, as terrible as that often has been, but he is certainly representative of the "elite experience".
100% disagree with you. The "elite" are a privileged group of people who through generations of their families have benefited from getting a head start in life. Private education is a given, not a luxury. How can you say that is the case with Obama?

Whether he represents black people is irrelevant, it was his broader appeal that took him to the white house. That in itself is no bad thing. Obama will go down as one of the great presidents in my opinion. The democrats' problem was they couldn't find anyone credible enough to succeed him, and that just played into Trump's hands. And boy what a great job he is doing right now.

So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader.

More importantly, how do you feel that all the work that went into the Good Friday agreement could be undone by a potential reunification of NI and the Republic. I get the feeling that quite a lot of people in the ROI are not one single bit happy with brexit.
"So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader."

Reads as;

"You are totally 100% wrong in everything, except for that bit where you are right!"

:coffeespit:

Sorry I simply cannot be bothered getting into this past saying you have an antiquated class-based British view of what the "elite" is. The elite nowadays in the broader world are the likes of the Obama's, Clinton's and Bush's of the US political system. Not elite by class or birth, but elite by financial clout and political power. The 1850's are over, man - let them go. :lol:
Listen to yer man, the only Presidents with Blue Collar backgrounds (look that one up remoaners! :lol: ) were the Feckin Kennedy's and guess what they were fucking gunned down by Elitist WASP's who could not stomach Catholocism!...

And just in case you thought it was your fail safe scapegoats the Russians, think again....
Did we ever get the full low down on it!
Did we fuck!.... :tricolour:
So going by your logic, anyone who originates from a white collar background is an elite?

:x :lol: :lol:

You might be right about Merkel, her government is looking a tad flaky this evening with no coalition partners. Regardless that won't lead to a better Brexit deal.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:35 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Typically, you read one line and then lose your shit without reading the full post or looking at the context. :roll: :lol:

I am refering to Obama, no one else. What that has to do with your friend is beyond me. This myth that Obama is a true "black president, representative of the majority of black Americans" is just that, a myth. He's as dyed in the wool a political elite as any other senior politician in the States.

As for your comment in red - It certainly does make you part of the elite if you then go into politics in the USA.

As many black voters and commentators (rightly or wrongly) abhor Obama as a "race traitor", as adore him for being the country's first "black president". Cornel West, a black philosopher, has called Obama “a Rockefeller Republican in blackface, a president more interested in Wall Street and drone strikes than the needs of black America".

Obama is not truly representative of the "Black Experience" in the USA, as terrible as that often has been, but he is certainly representative of the "elite experience".
100% disagree with you. The "elite" are a privileged group of people who through generations of their families have benefited from getting a head start in life. Private education is a given, not a luxury. How can you say that is the case with Obama?

Whether he represents black people is irrelevant, it was his broader appeal that took him to the white house. That in itself is no bad thing. Obama will go down as one of the great presidents in my opinion. The democrats' problem was they couldn't find anyone credible enough to succeed him, and that just played into Trump's hands. And boy what a great job he is doing right now.

So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader.

More importantly, how do you feel that all the work that went into the Good Friday agreement could be undone by a potential reunification of NI and the Republic. I get the feeling that quite a lot of people in the ROI are not one single bit happy with brexit.
"So going by your logic both Trump and Farage are also elites? In Farage's case he certainly qualifies, private schooling and early career as a commodities trader."

Reads as;

"You are totally 100% wrong in everything, except for that bit where you are right!"

:coffeespit:

Sorry I simply cannot be bothered getting into this past saying you have an antiquated class-based British view of what the "elite" is. The elite nowadays in the broader world are the likes of the Obama's, Clinton's and Bush's of the US political system. Not elite by class or birth, but elite by financial clout and political power. The 1850's are over, man - let them go. :lol:
Listen to yer man, the only Presidents with Blue Collar backgrounds (look that one up remoaners! :lol: ) were the Feckin Kennedy's and guess what they were fucking gunned down by Elitist WASP's who could not stomach Catholocism!...

And just in case you thought it was your fail safe scapegoats the Russians, think again....
Did we ever get the full low down on it!
Did we fuck!.... :tricolour:
So going by your logic, anyone who originates from a white collar background is an elite?

:x :lol: :lol:

You might be right about Merkel, her government is looking a tad flaky this evening with no coalition partners. Regardless that won't lead to a better Brexit deal.
She's had a good innings, but like "Theresa the Remainer" she will only be dragged out kicking and screaming.... :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

this article has it about right - Brexit is complete madness

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-colu ... it-madness

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Are we out yet?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:14 am
Are we out yet?
Hot news straight off the press. My boss's boss was at a top end meeting yesterday and says one of our very senior govt officials seemed very convinced you will not be leaving at all. No idea what makes him think that, whether it be possible insider info or rank incompetence, delusion and stupidity on his behalf - and honestly it could very easily be either! :lol: But this dude was convinced and was talking about our future planning to include the British in the EU. :shock:

Make of that what you will, Britishers! :rubchin:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am
flash gunner wrote:
Are we out yet?
Hot news straight off the press. My boss's boss was at a top end meeting yesterday and says one of our very senior govt officials seemed very convinced you will not be leaving at all. No idea what makes him think that, whether it be possible insider info or rank incompetence, delusion and stupidity on his behalf - and honestly it could very easily be either! :lol: But this dude was convinced and was talking about our future planning to include the British in the EU. :shock:

Herd knows 8)

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Are we out yet?

good stuff DB! :barscarf:

I am sure that the UK will come to its senses soon. :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Are we out yet?

:D

I'd once again qualify that by saying the person I'm refering to could well have his head stuck up his ass and is seeing what he wants to see. But I thought it was interesting that our boss reckoned the guy was adamant on his info. Who knows?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Are we out yet?

and you might have just saved David Attenborough's life :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Are we out yet?

and you might have just saved David Attenborough's life :barscarf:
David Attenborough is a true British Institution, don't knock it.