RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Bradywasking

Re: RIP Thread

Post by Bradywasking »

Ray Treacy Former Irish international and travel agent RIP...

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

nut flush gooner wrote:Richie Benaud one of the great cricket/sport commentators of the 80s/90s. I loved his enthusiasm for the game and his total non biased commentaries. A typical example of this was his great descriptions of Botham ripping the Aussies to pieces in 1981.

Try gent. RIP.
Don't follow cricket so no little about this man , but yesterday as tributes were pouring in one tribute credited Richie Benaud with saying as a commentator "he was a guest in people's homes for six hours at a time , so it was important not to irritate his hosts"
Pity the modern day football pundits do not realise the privilege they have of being "guests in our homes"

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Can't think of one that I'd let through my front door in the first place. Especially Carragher, there'd be fuck all left by time he'd finished

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

nut flush gooner wrote:Richie Benaud one of the great cricket/sport commentators of the 80s/90s. I loved his enthusiasm for the game and his total non biased commentaries. A typical example of this was his great descriptions of Botham ripping the Aussies to pieces in 1981.

Try gent. RIP.
He was, quite simply, the best cricket commentator there was; better even than Arlott.

Fair, balanced and humble; something the current crop of hyperbolic morons (I’m looking at you, Mark Nicholas) could learn from. In an age where every mishit 6 is greeted with howls of “OMG – WHAT A SHOT! WHAT A PLAYER!”, Benaud knew when to let the play do the talking.

He will be sorely missed.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Percy Sledge. Who, amongst those of us of a certain age, hasn't screamed "When a man loves a woman.."

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

officepest wrote:

Try gent. RIP.
He was, quite simply, the best cricket commentator there was; better even than Arlott.

Fair, balanced and humble; something the current crop of hyperbolic morons (I’m looking at you, Mark Nicholas) could learn from. In an age where every mishit 6 is greeted with howls of “OMG – WHAT A SHOT! WHAT A PLAYER!”, Benaud knew when to let the play do the talking.

He will be sorely missed.
Hear hear mate.

Richie was a one-off. Like all the greats, he made it look easy. Was the voice of cricket when I first began watching it on the BBC and loved his less is more style. As OP has said above, most of the current crop are non-league compared to Richie and they clearly haven't learned anything from him. Which is a shame.

RIP Richie Benaud. :cry: :cry:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Really enjoying Ian Bishop and Jeff Dujon on commentary during the current West Indies v England series, reminding us how commentary should be. The perfect antidote to the shouting and bauling at the grotesque IPL. Just a shame Michael Holding isn't doing this series as well

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Chippy wrote:Percy Sledge. Who, amongst those of us of a certain age, hasn't screamed "When a man loves a woman.."
I haven't. I was into Sabbath and Zeppelin, you gaybo. :banghead: :roll:

:D :wink: :wink:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Chippy wrote:Percy Sledge. Who, amongst those of us of a certain age, hasn't screamed "When a man loves a woman.."

How the f does singing about a man loving a woman make you gay? :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Chippy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

How the f does singing about a man loving a woman make you gay? :lol:
If you have to ask that question? You are gay. 8)

:lol: :wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Keith Harris Ventriloquist aged 67 after a two year battle with cancer RIP.

When asked about this Orville was speechless .......

....sorry, I'll get my coat :oops:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rebecca Ferdinand ,wife of footballer Rio has lost her fight with cancer and passed away today.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

mcdowell42 wrote:Rebecca Ferdinand ,wife of footballer Rio has lost her fight with cancer and passed away today.
Horrible news - so sad for such a young woman leaving behind three young kids. Jesus, can't imagine.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

mcdowell42 wrote:Rebecca Ferdinand ,wife of footballer Rio has lost her fight with cancer and passed away today.
very sad ..too young.

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

That is a real shame..RIP