THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:Toots and the Maytals at Clapham yesterday...........fucking legend!!!

Lee "Scratch" Perry,mad as a box of frogs,but still good at 102 years old,
Top man Robbo10 - I have got tickets to see them at Norwich UEA next week :barscarf
Ska / Reggae legends - Monkey Man, Pressure Drop, 54-46 was my number.
Loved the Specials and love that song "Monkey Man". Reel Big Fish did a great cover of it during the USA ska punk "third wave" era in the 90s. Also loved Less Than Jake from that era. Brilliant band.

I hate the horseshit that snobbish ska "purists" come out with about the third wave, saying it isn't ska because of the punk influence and it being American, and then profess their love of "true 2 Tone ska" as denoted by bands like the Specials and the Selector. They seem to forget their own history. That 2 tone ska grew out of the original punk scene as much as it did from the ska revival of the late 70's / early 80s.

I fucking hate music snobs, the type of arseholes that listen to a certain type of music because they think it makes them cool or trendy or gives them street cred. It doesn't, you twats. :lol: :roll:

Listen to music because it makes you feel something or inspires you, not to impress other people. :oops: :roll:
Nothing wrong with a bit of punk mate, The Clash manage to cross over 2 / 3 genre's and sound great in my book
(They also covered Pressure Drop by Toots)

The 2 Tone era was great in my youth, but owes everything to the original ska from Jamaica, which I am sure I didn't know about or appreciate at the time, ska just got to me, and still gets my feet dancing.
You cant listen to Ska/Reggae/Bluebeat or Rocksteady without tapping your feet!

I went to see Anti Nowhere League in Tunbridge Wells a few years back,what a great gig,and Killing Joke at the Roundhouse,fuck me I've seen Machinehead,G'n'R,Metallica and Pantera in their prime but Killing Joke were probably the loudest i've heard! Also really enjoy the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly,
You sir have excellent taste in music. 8)

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Top man Robbo10 - I have got tickets to see them at Norwich UEA next week :barscarf
Loved the Specials and love that song "Monkey Man". Reel Big Fish did a great cover of it during the USA ska punk "third wave" era in the 90s. Also loved Less Than Jake from that era. Brilliant band.

I hate the horseshit that snobbish ska "purists" come out with about the third wave, saying it isn't ska because of the punk influence and it being American, and then profess their love of "true 2 Tone ska" as denoted by bands like the Specials and the Selector. They seem to forget their own history. That 2 tone ska grew out of the original punk scene as much as it did from the ska revival of the late 70's / early 80s.

I fucking hate music snobs, the type of arseholes that listen to a certain type of music because they think it makes them cool or trendy or gives them street cred. It doesn't, you twats. :lol: :roll:

Listen to music because it makes you feel something or inspires you, not to impress other people. :oops: :roll:
Nothing wrong with a bit of punk mate, The Clash manage to cross over 2 / 3 genre's and sound great in my book
(They also covered Pressure Drop by Toots)

The 2 Tone era was great in my youth, but owes everything to the original ska from Jamaica, which I am sure I didn't know about or appreciate at the time, ska just got to me, and still gets my feet dancing.
You cant listen to Ska/Reggae/Bluebeat or Rocksteady without tapping your feet!

I went to see Anti Nowhere League in Tunbridge Wells a few years back,what a great gig,and Killing Joke at the Roundhouse,fuck me I've seen Machinehead,G'n'R,Metallica and Pantera in their prime but Killing Joke were probably the loudest i've heard! Also really enjoy the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly,
You sir have excellent taste in music. 8)
:bowing21:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:Toots and the Maytals at Clapham yesterday...........fucking legend!!!

See I'll listen to the original ska generation,Two Tone and the "3rd wave" as you call it,I'm happy listen to Dennis Alcapone,Prince Buster,Desmond Dekker,Madness,The Beat,Sublime,Mighty Mighty Bosstones,a very good friend of mine is the singer (and huge Gooner)of The Dualers,you could argue The Dualers are the 4th wave of Ska,I'll listen to all Ska,

StuartL youll love Toots,and if you love Ska check out The Dualers,the "Back to Paradise" album is quality,

The Specials also did "Pressure Drop" which Toots Hibbert did,they do it really fucking well too.....

Cheers Robbo - really looking forward to seeing Toots.

I am aware of the Dualers but never seen them play live. I believe one of them used to live near Sudbury in Suffolk.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

See I'll listen to the original ska generation,Two Tone and the "3rd wave" as you call it,I'm happy listen to Dennis Alcapone,Prince Buster,Desmond Dekker,Madness,The Beat,Sublime,Mighty Mighty Bosstones,a very good friend of mine is the singer (and huge Gooner)of The Dualers,you could argue The Dualers are the 4th wave of Ska,I'll listen to all Ska,

StuartL youll love Toots,and if you love Ska check out The Dualers,the "Back to Paradise" album is quality,

The Specials also did "Pressure Drop" which Toots Hibbert did,they do it really fucking well too.....

Cheers Robbo - really looking forward to seeing Toots.

I am aware of the Dualers but never seen them play live. I believe one of them used to live near Sudbury in Suffolk.
No,they are brothers from Penge,They separated a few years ago and one stayed Ska and one followed his Rock n Roll passion,If you get the chance you should check them out,if you like Ska/Reggae you'll enjoy it.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

A Truly Gorgeous (Acoustic based) Track from the Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt album/CD "Invention of Knowledge" 8)

My Favourite Singer - Got my tickets for the ARW Tour next Spring. :dance: :dance: :dance:

phpBB [video]

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:A Truly Gorgeous (Acoustic based) Track from the Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt album/CD "Invention of Knowledge" 8)

My Favourite Singer - Got my tickets for the ARW Tour next Spring. :dance: :dance: :dance:

phpBB [video]
I saw YES in 1977 at the then Empire Pool Wembley,on the "Going for the One", tour with Rick Wakeman back in the fold,and the support was.....Donovan. The following week it was Ted Nugent at the Hammersmith Odeon. :barscarf:
Last edited by Rugby Gooner on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

For those (aspiring/struggling) guitarists amongst us Gooners.... :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AURqh9rsI

I wish I could afford a Lowden man..They truly "sing"

Been playing a lot in DADGAD Lately and it is such a creative tuning to play in.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:For those (aspiring/struggling) guitarists amongst us Gooners.... :barscarf:

Been playing a lot in DADGAD Lately and it is such a creative tuning to play in.
DADGAD! Isn't it a bit dangerous there?! :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:For those (aspiring/struggling) guitarists amongst us Gooners.... :barscarf:

It's a weird tuning that one! A bit like Drop D which alot of metal guitarists use but with the added high B and E dropped as well. It has a kinda celtic feel to it. I think Zep's Kashmir was recorded in DADGAD which is why so many guitarists can't recreate that "feel" because they try playing it in standard tuning. :oops: :roll:

I've tried it (I try all kinds of weird tunings on my sweet as fuck Ibanez) but wasn't mad about it tbh. I prefer plain old Drop D but that could be just the metal head in me talking... :lol:

I have been experimenting a bit with Double Drop D which is DADGBD. Bizarrely it only really suits folk or extremely heavy Heavy Metal. Neil Young uses it alot and at the other end of the scale Lamb of God use it! :shock: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:

:lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:

Only if one is White - Because Black Lives Matter.

(where's the damn tongue in cheek emoticon when ya need it).

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

It's a weird tuning that one! A bit like Drop D which alot of metal guitarists use but with the added high B and E dropped as well. It has a kinda celtic feel to it. I think Zep's Kashmir was recorded in DADGAD which is why so many guitarists can't recreate that "feel" because they try playing it in standard tuning. :oops: :roll:

I've tried it (I try all kinds of weird tunings on my sweet as fuck Ibanez) but wasn't mad about it tbh. I prefer plain old Drop D but that could be just the metal head in me talking... :lol:

I have been experimenting a bit with Double Drop D which is DADGBD. Bizarrely it only really suits folk or extremely heavy Heavy Metal. Neil Young uses it alot and at the other end of the scale Lamb of God use it! :shock: :lol:
That sounds well cool I'll try that....
The tuning for Kashmir was a derivation of the DADGAD / Celtic Tuning...But Page being the genius he is took it 3 de-tunings further I've got it written down somewhere, but it's oft referred to as 'The Kashmir Tuning' , just as is the tuning for Guinevere by C,S, & N.

Tune out Play that Thaaaang and get real! :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

That sounds well cool I'll try that....
The tuning for Kashmir was a derivation of the DADGAD / Celtic Tuning...But Page being the genius he is took it 3 de-tunings further I've got it written down somewhere, but it's oft referred to as 'The Kashmir Tuning' , just as is the tuning for Guinevere by C,S, & N.

Tune out Play that Thaaaang and get real! :barscarf:
I'm sure I read that he only used the 3 de-tunings on the demo and changed back to regular DADGAD for the recorded version because the Mellotron that John Paul Jones added caused tonal problems? :rubchin:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

You could well be right mate, but I remember when I played my first acoustic - after the divorce when the kids were grown & gone and no longer fleecing me every day and the (ex) missus couldn't get her hands on my wallet or cheque book any more! - and thinking 'well that's where his fingers go and those are the chord shapes but what I'm playing sounds NOTHING like what he's doing....then someone told me about de-tunings etc

:? :duh: :tickedoff:

This guy Martin Simpson is well worth a gander/listen - I saw him in concert about 5 - 6 years ago and he was changing the tuning of his guitar whilst actually playing it in the middle of songs - truly amazing...seems like a nice fella too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoQGSiVsy4

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

One of the most amazing songs I have heard in recent times - an old song that I'd forgotten about :? :(

The video is rather good also...But the song/ it's melody - It will haunt you.... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhJKCW2_w3k