THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:ps: The music is sublime - and the banter between songs is very witty:

"It's been a long time since I stood on a stage in London it was 14, 15 yrs ago when I was 60 - Just a kid with a crazy dream"

:lol:
:lol: :lol: 8)

Herd

Post by Herd »

Saw Steve Harley acoustic trio last night , one of the best concerts Ive ever attended in my life and Ive been to thousands !

Stunning !

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

For any Metallica/ Metal Fans Out There - 36 minutes of Metallica at the Beeb this week. :barscarf:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... t_iplayer1

Herd

Post by Herd »

OneBardGooner wrote:ps: The music is sublime - and the banter between songs is very witty:
"It's been a long time since I stood on a stage in London it was 14, 15 yrs ago when I was 60 - Just a kid with a crazy dream"
:lol:
I've seen Leonard Cohen since the 80's and I think he got better as he got older, I dont like all his stuff as its a massive volume of
work but theres always some gems in anything he does .
Funny self depreciating he has caused me to laugh and cry and laugh and laugh and cry about it all again !
Losing him and Bowie during this year has hit me in a way i didnt think possible ,I never met him or Bowie and others have passed who I knew and loved this year Youngie and Baby Bear and it didnt hit me but these two left me actually grieving and I find that difficult to deal with as Im not that sort of groupie !

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yes, I feel the same Herd....

David Bowie was a very sad loss...But The Bard - for that is what he was - is utterly saddening...... :cry:

AS you say not all his albums were perfect by any means but there are gems within his every record/release that tower above other's best attempts.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gonna upset a few of you whiny bitches in your periods and all :wink: but I gotta be honest, Cohen for me was like Dylan; a terrible singer with an awful voice. Just fucking awful.

However; they are two of the greatest songwriters and poets of any generation. I just prefer to hear other people sing their songs. 8)

#justsaying

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Blasphemy Burn the Ooompaah Lumpaaah! :lol: :wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:Gonna upset a few of you whiny bitches in your periods and all :wink: but I gotta be honest, Cohen for me was like Dylan; a terrible singer with an awful voice. Just fucking awful.

However; they are two of the greatest songwriters and poets of any generation. I just prefer to hear other people sing their songs. 8)

#justsaying
People with good voices win the XFactor and those other insipid, shitty programmes. They might be vocal athletes, who can hit the right notes at the right times but they've nothing to say and no soul.

None of Dylan, Cohen, Bowie, Lydon, Ray Davies, Lennon, Weller, Strummer etc would have got anywhere on those pile of shit karaokefests, but they had heart, soul, integrity and something worth saying.

Listening to that useless bitch that won XF and murdered Hallelujah, as if it was some Mariah Carey love song is a prime example,

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Gonna upset a few of you whiny bitches in your periods and all :wink: but I gotta be honest, Cohen for me was like Dylan; a terrible singer with an awful voice. Just fucking awful.

#justsaying
People with good voices win the XFactor and those other insipid, shitty programmes. They might be vocal athletes, who can hit the right notes at the right times but they've nothing to say and no soul.

None of Dylan, Cohen, Bowie, Lydon, Ray Davies, Lennon, Weller, Strummer etc would have got anywhere on those pile of shit karaokefests, but they had heart, soul, integrity and something worth saying.

Listening to that useless bitch that won XF and murdered Hallelujah, as if it was some Mariah Carey love song is a prime example,
Nope. People with good voices don't go on those shows. People with bland, pop voices and no originality go on those shows. The type of voices that the general sheep-like population like to listen to as they drive to work, because people they work with or the media tell them that singer is cool to like.

Very few, if any, would be "vocal athletes" either. Most would have very limited one octave ranges at best. When you hear their shit covers of famous songs on the radio you will notice they usually sound a bit odd tonally - that's because the producer had to transpose to a different key to accommodate the singers limited range. When you transpose a song from say a tonally dark key like Dm to say Am you lose the "feel" of the song. The chords are the same, the intervals are the same, the melody is the same but it sounds different because certain keys have a certain tonal feel to them. E Harmonic Minor gives a "classical" feel for example.

When I say I prefer to hear other people sing their songs I don't mean the type of shit that go on x factor. The best version I've ever heard of Hallelujah was Jeff Buckley's.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

#justsaying

Nope. People with good voices don't go on those shows. People with bland, pop voices and no originality go on those shows. The type of voices that the general sheep-like population like to listen to as they drive to work, because people they work with or the media tell them that singer is cool to like.

Very few, if any, would be "vocal athletes" either. Most would have very limited one octave ranges at best. When you hear their shit covers of famous songs on the radio you will notice they usually sound a bit odd tonally - that's because the producer had to transpose to a different key to accommodate the singers limited range. When you transpose a song from say a tonally dark key like Dm to say Am you lose the "feel" of the song. The chords are the same, the intervals are the same, the melody is the same but it sounds different because certain keys have a certain tonal feel to them. E Harmonic Minor gives a "classical" feel for example.

When I say I prefer to hear other people sing their songs I don't mean the type of shit that go on x factor. The best version I've ever heard of Hallelujah was Jeff Buckley's.
By a country mile! :high5:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

#justsaying

By a country mile! :high5:

I like Buckley's version too, but for me there is something different when the writer is also the singer (within reason).

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

As mentioned a page or two back, I was planning on going to the John Otway gig last night. Unfortunately, a heart attack on Sunday (mine, not his) put and end to that plan.

I contacted the venue to let them know they had three more tickets to sell on the door.

A couple of hours later I got a voice message from Otway saying he was sorry I was going to miss the gig and wishing me a quick recovery.

One of the Greatest Living Englishman.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:As mentioned a page or two back, I was planning on going to the John Otway gig last night. Unfortunately, a heart attack on Sunday (mine, not his) put and end to that plan.

I contacted the venue to let them know they had three more tickets to sell on the door.

A couple of hours later I got a voice message from Otway saying he was sorry I was going to miss the gig and wishing me a quick recovery.

Bet you believed in Baby Jebus then, mate! :shock:

Only kidding!! :wink:

Hope you are recovering well. I'd say it gave you a right scare. Best wishes, man.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:As mentioned a page or two back, I was planning on going to the John Otway gig last night. Unfortunately, a heart attack on Sunday (mine, not his) put and end to that plan.

Bet you believed in Baby Jebus then, mate! :shock:

Only kidding!! :wink:

Hope you are recovering well. I'd say it gave you a right scare. Best wishes, man.
Thanks.
Having spoken to an eminent Spanish cardiologist, turns out I'm no longer 35, I eat too much, work too much and don't do enough exercise.
Who knew???

If anyone's thinking of a having a heart attack; a) I wouldn't, they're a bit shit but b) if you are, go to Granada Cardio ICU. It's brand new, the staff are incredible and my first ever bed bath (thanks to Carmen and Mercedes) will never be forgotten.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

1. Holy H Wotsit Joe - sincerely I hope you recover fully - I BLAME WENGER - see that's what wenger does to us fans - he gets us so wound up it harms our health & well being.

2. That is typical of John Otway - A very real and genuine human being...no star bollocks with him.

3. If you do keel over etc Can I have your CD collection please? (too soon?) :? :oops: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: