THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
storrmin571

Re: THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

Post by storrmin571 »

Fighting for the French Foreign Legion - Memoirs of a Scottish Legionnaire The author describes how he joined the French Foreign Legion, without being able to speak any French and very close to the age limit. He takes the reader through the vigorous selection procedure, the relentless recruit regime and then elite Second Parachute Regiment's training in Corsica. We learn about the ethos and strict discipline of the Foreign Legion. He describes his fellow legionnaires drawn from many backgrounds and nations. Having won his kepi and paratroop wings he served across Africa and the Middle East, taking part in Operation DESERT STORM (fighting Saddam Hussein's Republican Guard), peace keeping operations in Sarajevo and Bosnia and in former French colonies such as Chad and the Central African Republic. He graphically describes the action and appalling conditions of the local population. Accounts of life in the modern day Foreign Legion are rare indeed and this one written by a mature and modest man makes fascinating reading.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

storrmin571 wrote:Another 3 worth a visit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGIONNAIRE-MAC ... ign+legion

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidden-Soldier- ... ign+legion

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devils-Guard-Ge ... ign+legion The last one is about former Nazis fighting for the Legion in Vietnam.
I've read Hidden Soldier. Was quite good. The description of the ambush in Iraq was very well written and terrifying. Regarding the Devil's Guard - many ex-Nazi's found their way into the Legion after WWII.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

The hidden soldier is a Cork or Cobh boy.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

storrmin571 wrote:The hidden soldier is a Cork or Cobh boy.
He is a culchie. It's ok, you can call them culchies. Or swamp monkeys. Or sister botherers. Or uncle fuckers. Or muck savages. Or cousin molesters. Or goat rapists.

:D :wink:

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Thought you'd mention the goat molesting again. Just an excuse to wind up Reb and his bunch.

Fair enough.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Less Than Zero - Brett Easton Ellis.

My third Eliis novel (his first) and typical in its description of hateful spoilt brats engaging in vapid conversations, dispassionate sexual encounters and the slide into slow-burning madness.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Anyone else read any Jon Ronson? Finished 'Lost at Sea' and have just started 'So Youve Been Publicly Shamed'. Very good investigative, humorous, clever writing.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

the Kindle is the best present I have ever received, i 've finished nine books in the last seven weeks, so easy to use

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

greengooner wrote:the Kindle is the best present I have ever received, i 've finished nine books in the last seven weeks, so easy to use
I too love my kindle - got it for holiday last year. Books, music, games, web, all you need I one little device, it's fab

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:The hidden soldier is a Cork or Cobh boy.
He is a culchie. It's ok, you can call them culchies. Or swamp monkeys. Or sister botherers. Or uncle fuckers. Or muck savages. Or cousin molesters. Or goat rapists.

:D :wink:

The definition of a Dublin Virgin.......a girl that can run faster than her uncle!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Currently reading "hell ain't a bad place to be" warts and all biography on ac/dc great read so far

officepest

Post by officepest »

Berlin: the Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor.

Farily typical Beevor work; cracks along at a fair old pace and gives a decent insight into the Soviet angle on the conflict. Suffers a little as I've read dozens of books on WWII so most of the information is old hat, but a good book in and of itself.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:Berlin: the Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor.

Farily typical Beevor work; cracks along at a fair old pace and gives a decent insight into the Soviet angle on the conflict. Suffers a little as I've read dozens of books on WWII so most of the information is old hat, but a good book in and of itself.
It's a good read. As was his book on Stalingrad. I suppose there is not much about either city battle that hasn't been written at this stage, so it's hard to put fresh insight into either battle, but I like Beevor's style. He doesn't overdo the military stats (which can kill historical non-fiction writing) and he writes very good narrative and descriptive passages. Probably my favourite historical writer after Stephen Ambrose and LA Carlyon - whose book "Gallipoli" gave a very balanced view (didn't just blame the British) of that campaign. Carlyon writes mostly from an Aussie viewpoint but his writing is superb, and makes you relate to the people he is writing about.

officepest

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
officepest wrote:Berlin: the Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor.

It's a good read. As was his book on Stalingrad. I suppose there is not much about either city battle that hasn't been written at this stage, so it's hard to put fresh insight into either battle, but I like Beevor's style. He doesn't overdo the military stats (which can kill historical non-fiction writing) and he writes very good narrative and descriptive passages. Probably my favourite historical writer after Stephen Ambrose and LA Carlyon - whose book "Gallipoli" gave a very balanced view (didn't just blame the British) of that campaign. Carlyon writes mostly from an Aussie viewpoint but his writing is superb, and makes you relate to the people he is writing about.
I agree mate. Much like Keegan, I never find myself wading through stats or thinking "cor, I wish this would hurry up and fuck off", unlike:

Michael Burleigh.

Currently reading The Third Reich - A New History.

It's a massive slog so far; grandiloquent prose and a dry, academic style that turns me off, 800 pages of it too. Might try Dostoevsky or James Joyce next, for some, you know, light relief. :wink: