THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:The hidden soldier is a Cork or Cobh boy.
He is a culchie. It's ok, you can call them culchies. Or swamp monkeys. Or sister botherers. Or uncle fuckers. Or muck savages. Or cousin molesters. Or goat rapists.

:D :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

shu

Post by shu »

StuartL wrote:
greengooner wrote:the Kindle is the best present I have ever received, i 've finished nine books in the last seven weeks, so easy to use
I too love my kindle - got it for holiday last year. Books, music, games, web, all you need I one little device, it's fab
Blanket on your laps boys , cardigans on !

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

shu wrote:
StuartL wrote:
greengooner wrote:the Kindle is the best present I have ever received, i 've finished nine books in the last seven weeks, so easy to use
I too love my kindle - got it for holiday last year. Books, music, games, web, all you need I one little device, it's fab
Naaaah that was last year mate - This winter they add the ole BIG sized two foot slipper by the fire. :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

101 Best prostitutes in the Birmingham / Cannock area was a very informative read if any of you are interested ?

To be fair it was a bit hard going in the middle but it certainly had a happy ending.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

shu wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Just you wait till that devil magic Electricity comes to Norfolk and you will see for yourself :wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson.

As the title suggests it looks at Lawrence's role, but it is much more than that. It highlights the roles of a German spy, an American oilman/spy and a Romanian/Jewish/Zionist/spy/agronomist, as well as many other characters.

The above is like a real Boys' Own adventure, but for me the really interesting stuff concerned the insight into the dynamics of the Middle East (including the Wahhabist Saud family) and the emergence of Zionism and the conflicts within Judaism that it created.

The arrogance and stupidity of every countries' ruling classes is also there for all to see.

Apologies for writing about a book on the book thread.

Midz

Post by Midz »

First time reading this author for me.
Enjoyed it very much. Joe Clayton (or Carter as he is in this book) is an ex undercover cop. He's on the run from a West London gangland boss who believes that he killed his brother.
Joe travels to the west country and gets involved in a search for a missing girl amongst other things. There's a guy who thinks he's a Mr Big down there and has it in for Joe. The guy who supposedly runs the Cornish town is a chav come good. He likes to wear his track suit bottoms as he thinks people will underestimate him when he's actually quite smart.
I liked how this story was very close to real life and not too far-fetched as some fiction can be.

If you like Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Simon Kernick, David Baldacci, Michael Robotham and novels like the ones they write then give this a go as you'll most likely enjoy it.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

I'll try that, I'm always on the look out for a new author. Have you ever tried Robert Goddard, they're a good read?

Midz

Post by Midz »

No, I've never read Robert Goddard but have added him to my ongoing list, thank you.

Do you read kindle or books?

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Midz wrote:Image

First time reading this author for me.
Enjoyed it very much. Joe Clayton (or Carter as he is in this book) is an ex undercover cop. He's on the run from a West London gangland boss who believes that he killed his brother.
Joe travels to the west country and gets involved in a search for a missing girl amongst other things. There's a guy who thinks he's a Mr Big down there and has it in for Joe. The guy who supposedly runs the Cornish town is a chav come good. He likes to wear his track suit bottoms as he thinks people will underestimate him when he's actually quite smart.
I liked how this story was very close to real life and not too far-fetched as some fiction can be.

If you like Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Simon Kernick, David Baldacci, Michael Robotham and novels like the ones they write then give this a go as you'll most likely enjoy it.

Cheers for that, I read all of the authors you mentioned, so will give it a go.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Midz wrote:No, I've never read Robert Goddard but have added him to my ongoing list, thank you.

I always read books.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Reading book called State line (Dan Reno) where in the opening page a character called Wenger was described as a tightwad !!!

Imagine my surprise :)
Last edited by StuartL on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

StuartL wrote:Reading book card State line (Dan Reno) where in the opening page a character called Wenger was described as a tightwad !!!

:coffeespit: :lol:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

arseofacrow wrote:
StuartL wrote:Reading book card State line (Dan Reno) where in the opening page a character called Wenger was described as a tightwad !!!

:coffeespit: :lol:
Does he linger 7 years too long too?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

casgooner wrote:
Midz wrote:No, I've never read Robert Goddard but have added him to my ongoing list, thank you.

I always read books.
Amen. 8)

The Kindle will kill the publishing industry.