THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

Postby officepest » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Why the Allies Won – Richard Overy

Don’t let the rather obvious sounding title fool you; this is another excellent historical analysis of the War which looks at the contrasting fortunes of the Allies and Axis powers during the Second World War.

Far from being a straightforward mathematical certainty that the Allies would win the war through logistical supremacy, this book details the very real possibilitiy (Atlantic ’41, Pacific until after Midway and Eastern Front until ’43) that the Axis would sweep to victory.

Well written, thoughtful and persuasive and relatively short (300+ pages). Brevity in this case is welcome as the author doesn’t get bogged down in over-analysing in minute detail and still manages to convey the magnitude of the swing from the allies’ perilous early position to certain victors.

Very good indeed.

That's me up to date, gonna start on Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich now for some light relief. :wink:

arseofacrow

Postby arseofacrow » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Why the Allies Won – Richard Overy

Don’t let the rather obvious sounding title fool you; this is another excellent historical analysis of the War which looks at the contrasting fortunes of the Allies and Axis powers during the Second World War.

Far from being a straightforward mathematical certainty that the Allies would win the war through logistical supremacy, this book details the very real possibilitiy (Atlantic ’41, Pacific until after Midway and Eastern Front until ’43) that the Axis would sweep to victory.

Well written, thoughtful and persuasive and relatively short (300+ pages). Brevity in this case is welcome as the author doesn’t get bogged down in over-analysing in minute detail and still manages to convey the magnitude of the swing from the allies’ perilous early position to certain victors.

Very good indeed.

That's me up to date, gonna start on Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich now for some light relief. :wink:
Hope his writing's better than his analysis on Match of the Day.

:barscarf:

Brightonnxtround

Postby Brightonnxtround » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Just bought a book called A is for arsenic (seems appropriate in our current plight )
I'm that depressed right now I mite fucking take some up the reds :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Postby Rugby Gooner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Just bought a book called A is for arsenic (seems appropriate in our current plight )
Try some A is for Absinthe,it has not got the same whiff of finality about it. :barscarf:

Babu

Postby Babu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Try some A is for Absinthe,it has not got the same whiff of finality about it. :barscarf:
I'm going to go with some A is for Acid.

And when I come back down it might all have been a bad trip. :whee:

GoonerMuzz

Postby GoonerMuzz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 am

Slightly off topic but my daughter is going to University this summer to do Law and American Studies and i'd like to get her a book with a basic history of America and it's politics does anyone have any recommendations? :rubchin:

Cheers Muzz

Brightonnxtround

Postby Brightonnxtround » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:38 pm

Slightly off topic but my daughter is going to University this summer to do Law and American Studies and i'd like to get her a book with a basic history of America and it's politics does anyone have any recommendations? :rubchin:

Cheers Muzz
Try this muzz A concise history of United States of America
By Susan Mary grant should do the trick Waterstones :barscarf: :barscarf:

StuartL

Postby StuartL » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 am

Not only that but it makes the heart grow fonder too.

Rugby Gooner

Postby Rugby Gooner » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Have you been out with a woman with a lisp as well? :D

OneBardGooner

Postby OneBardGooner » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Have you been out with a woman with a lisp as well? :D
Parthun ? :wink:

OneBardGooner

Postby OneBardGooner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:18 am

Not a book, but used to love reading this when I was a kid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-41419268

Return to “The Cannonballs”