THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

Post by OneBardGooner »

I recently helped a mate move house - he has 15,000 (vinyl) LP's and 8,000 CD's and God knows how many DVD's and he didn't want to entrust them to the blokes in the movers firm, so we spent all day lifting, carrying and un-boxing them into their new home (the spare bedroomat the new place) with floor to ceiling shelves on all walls....I was cream and crackered by the end of the day...Anyway as a 'thank-you' he bought me a curry and as much beer as I wanted...but he gave me the box set of Band of Brothers - I had seen it before but it was ages ago...

Just been watching it..and Jeezuss H - Talk about Courage and Friendship, those guys went through Hell....I remember my father (who was in the (Marines) military most of his working life) said there used to be a saying about American GI's during WWII "Over Here and Overpaid" - But this is so powerful and sometimes even difficult to watch - what they endured - as I'm sure many, many soldiers British and other nationalities did.

They have a short segment at the beginning of each episode where the actual men/soldiers talk about their experiences etc - Chokes you up.

Makes me realise how 'lucky' we are to not have to undergo such a nightmare..

Even though hard hitting - It is also full of compassion and lessons about life/death etc Brilliantly scripted, directed, filmed etc Speilberg & Tom Hanks were Executive Directors

Definitely 10 / 10

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:I recently helped a mate move house - he has 15,000 (vinyl) LP's and 8,000 CD's and God knows how many DVD's and he didn't want to entrust them to the blokes in the movers firm, so we spent all day lifting, carrying and un-boxing them into their new home (the spare bedroomat the new place) with floor to ceiling shelves on all walls....I was cream and crackered by the end of the day...Anyway as a 'thank-you' he bought me a curry and as much beer as I wanted...but he gave me the box set of Band of Brothers - I had seen it before but it was ages ago...

Just been watching it..and Jeezuss H - Talk about Courage and Friendship, those guys went through Hell....I remember my father (who was in the (Marines) military most of his working life) said there used to be a saying about American GI's during WWII "Over Here and Overpaid" - But this is so powerful and sometimes even difficult to watch - what they endured - as I'm sure many, many soldiers British and other nationalities did.

They have a short segment at the beginning of each episode where the actual men/soldiers talk about their experiences etc - Chokes you up.

Even though hard hitting - It is also full of compassion and lessons about life/death etc Brilliantly scripted, directed, filmed etc Speilberg & Tom Hanks were Executive Directors

Definitely 10 / 10

I had read the book years ago and was concerned that the series would be too "Hollywood" but they captured it perfectly - a fitting tribute to brave young men. My missus bought me the box set and the interviews with some of the survivors (and a separate documentary) are riveting. Sadly alot of those guys interviewed that survived the war have now passed away, including Ronald Spiers who died in 2007, Richard Winters who died in 2011 and Bill Guarnere who died in 2014. But one of the main characters, Don Malarkey is still alive at 95. 8)

You should have a look here too, mate; http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers.html

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Thanks for the link DB - I often wonder how I might have fared having to go to war at 17/18yrs of age and I had attended a military school for 2 and half years - and that was bad enough (discipline wise) - I think the young people of today and there are many of them are a real credit to their parents/schools and communities - Not all of them a wasters...But I wonder how they might fare also...My son is in his early 20's and we have often discussed the stories my father passed on...He was a Marine and then went into special ops/SAS - during the war whenever he was on leave - which was rare - he used to have to take off his regiment badges and sew on others so his father, mother and his family wouldn't know. And that wa show he met my mum who was a WAF, he had 2 broken fingers and was struggling to undo and sew on the old (marine) emblems on the arms of his uniform on the train back home and she offered to sew them on for him.

He did mention a few times when I could persuade him to talk about it (WW2) that his platoon did a rain somewhere in Burma (I think) and they were backed up by 2 platoons of Gurkha's - this was just after America had declared war on Japan and he said they (the Gurkha's) were the bravest and most ferocious solders he had ever met, they 'hated' the Japanese'

But an excellent and moving read that link Cheers.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:Thanks for the link DB - I often wonder how I might have fared having to go to war at 17/18yrs of age and I had attended a military school for 2 and half years - and that was bad enough (discipline wise) - I think the young people of today and there are many of them are a real credit to their parents/schools and communities - Not all of them a wasters...But I wonder how they might fare also...My son is in his early 20's and we have often discussed the stories my father passed on...He was a Marine and then went into special ops/SAS - during the war whenever he was on leave - which was rare - he used to have to take off his regiment badges and sew on others so his father, mother and his family wouldn't know. And that wa show he met my mum who was a WAF, he had 2 broken fingers and was struggling to undo and sew on the old (marine) emblems on the arms of his uniform on the train back home and she offered to sew them on for him.

He did mention a few times when I could persuade him to talk about it (WW2) that his platoon did a rain somewhere in Burma (I think) and they were backed up by 2 platoons of Gurkha's - this was just after America had declared war on Japan and he said they (the Gurkha's) were the bravest and most ferocious solders he had ever met, they 'hated' the Japanese'

I was an army cadet for 2 years in Australia before we moved back to Oireland. My original plan had been to go to Duntroon military college for officer training and make a career out of the army - it was my dream for my entire childhood and early teens.

Then we moved back to Oireland and I met Mr Drinking and his friends Mr Drugs and Mrs Casual Sex and my whole outlook changed. :D Still, I often wonder what it would have been like if we'd stayed in Aus I had gone into the military.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:Thanks for the link DB - I often wonder how I might have fared having to go to war at 17/18yrs of age and I had attended a military school for 2 and half years - and that was bad enough (discipline wise) - I think the young people of today and there are many of them are a real credit to their parents/schools and communities - Not all of them a wasters...But I wonder how they might fare also...My son is in his early 20's and we have often discussed the stories my father passed on...He was a Marine and then went into special ops/SAS - during the war whenever he was on leave - which was rare - he used to have to take off his regiment badges and sew on others so his father, mother and his family wouldn't know. And that wa show he met my mum who was a WAF, he had 2 broken fingers and was struggling to undo and sew on the old (marine) emblems on the arms of his uniform on the train back home and she offered to sew them on for him.

I was an army cadet for 2 years in Australia before we moved back to Oireland. My original plan had been to go to Duntroon military college for officer training and make a career out of the army - it was my dream for my entire childhood and early teens.

Then we moved back to Oireland and I met Mr Drinking and his friends Mr Drugs and Mrs Casual Sex and my whole outlook changed. :D Still, I often wonder what it would have been like if we'd stayed in Aus I had gone into the military.

You'd probably be the same bloke, but with a terrible accent. Consider it a lucky escape.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This hour long programme is amazing - about Arabia (Vast Dessert Lands) and those that dwell there - the animal life etc....well worth watching...the place itself although hostile and unforgiving - is also incredibly beautiful:

On BBC iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... -and-stars

8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Narcos on Netflix....... Brilliant :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:Narcos on Netflix....... Brilliant :barscarf:

Saw Series One - which was excellent - Looking forward to Series 2...

Went to see The INfiltrator tonight - 10/10 F'ing Brilliant - starring Bryan Cranston (Breaking bad fame)...cannot recommend it enough...all about the Drug Cartels etc

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This is deffo worth a gander...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-fr ... e-37506571

Aurora Borealis.... 8) :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

OneBardGooner wrote:I recently helped a mate move house - he has 15,000 (vinyl) LP's and 8,000 CD's and God knows how many DVD's and he didn't want to entrust them to the blokes in the movers firm, so we spent all day lifting, carrying and un-boxing them into their new home (the spare bedroomat the new place) with floor to ceiling shelves on all walls....I was cream and crackered by the end of the day...Anyway as a 'thank-you' he bought me a curry and as much beer as I wanted...but he gave me the box set of Band of Brothers - I had seen it before but it was ages ago...

Definitely 10 / 10

Try and watch The Pacific - sometimes repeated on Sky but that was another brilliant series.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Westworld just started 2nd episode. Quite like it.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DO Watch this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... an-autopsy

Frankie Boyle on the recent American Election....the last 2 minutes are Genius.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

storrmin571 wrote:Westworld just started 2nd episode. Quite like it.
That passes, mate. :lol: I got 4 episodes into Westworld and gave up. Poor acting, lame writing, trying too hard to be a bit philosophical and intellectual (and failing), too many irritating cliched characters, Anthony Hopkins at his hammy worst... :roll:

Worst of all was the fact Thandie Newton has the worst tits I've ever seen - and could do with visiting a barber. Or a sheep shearer. :shock: