The Gooner Chinwag (NSFW)

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: The Gooner Chinwag (NSFW)

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 pm
I had my first job interview for five months last week. I thought it went well, although I have found out this morning that I didn't get the job. Typical. As I am not a people person and can't deal with phones, I am pretty much unemployable. If that's not depressing enough, the dole will be starting to turn the screws on me soon. I've also ballsed up an online application a couple of days ago; I missed a whole section out on work history - pathetic as that is. Damn website.

All I want is a local job on a living wage that has little-to-nothing to do with the general public. It seems that is too much to ask for in this day and age. I suppose it's a good thing I largely don't give a damn anymore. No point in fighting the current of bullshit, just go with it.

:banghead:
Sorry to hear you didn't get the job, Sean. What about night watchman or other off-hours security work? You might pick up something local where you are left alone to get on with it? Have you considered maybe trying some form of counselling for the phone and communicating with other people problem? Most jobs unfortunately involve using the phone and communication in general. Best of luck either way, mate.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sean wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 pm
I had my first job interview for five months last week. I thought it went well, although I have found out this morning that I didn't get the job. Typical. As I am not a people person and can't deal with phones, I am pretty much unemployable. If that's not depressing enough, the dole will be starting to turn the screws on me soon. I've also ballsed up an online application a couple of days ago; I missed a whole section out on work history - pathetic as that is. Damn website.

All I want is a local job on a living wage that has little-to-nothing to do with the general public. It seems that is too much to ask for in this day and age. I suppose it's a good thing I largely don't give a damn anymore. No point in fighting the current of bullshit, just go with it.

:banghead:
Sorry to hear you didn't get it fella, don't dispair though mate.
Your comments and indeed links you put up, show you are an intelligent guy and are some of the most articulate on here, not everything involves being good with people.

Sean

Post by Sean »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm
Sorry to hear you didn't get the job, Sean. What about night watchman or other off-hours security work? You might pick up something local where you are left alone to get on with it? Have you considered maybe trying some form of counselling for the phone and communicating with other people problem? Most jobs unfortunately involve using the phone and communication in general. Best of luck either way, mate.
Cheers, DB. Night shift work would suit me, as long as it was local. Night-time security or concierge in a closed office would suit me fine, though I need a security licence. There is so much red tape these days. I wouldn't mind a driving job, but I have still never even learned to drive. Employers won't help with that anymore and certainly the dole don't either. I'm led to believe it'd cost hundreds, or just north of a grand.

The apprenticeship I went for dealt with facilities, which I thought would suit me pretty well. I had applied for the 'proper' version of the job, which requires a driving licence, despite it being a largely indoors job. Same goes for park jobs. Just my luck. There's a bunch of apprenticeships coming out which I am applying for, seeing as no-one will entertain me at any other level, or the job requires too much responsibility, has tasks I cannot deal with, or I don't have the right licence.

Communication with colleagues and using e-mail is not a problem. The problem is I grew up without a phone in the house and I only use my mobile as an alarm clock, so I am pretty buggered on the phone thing. I can tolerate so much, but my last job insisted I take the helpdesk two weeks per month (which was supposed to be rotated amongst my colleagues, but was not - My boss was somehow still clueless on that until my final week), which made it a living hell. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of work our sister department were creating for us. We had about four and a half people dealing with payroll for over four thousand employees. I couldn't wait for that apprenticeship to be over. Sure I got an accountancy qualification our of it, but it seems finance, although it should suit me, can be a terrible head-fuck if things aren't run well. I used to think I wanted a job that made me use my head, then I went though that crap and realised I definitely don't want that.

StuartL wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm
Sorry to hear you didn't get it fella, don't dispair though mate.
Your comments and indeed links you put up, show you are an intelligent guy and are some of the most articulate on here, not everything involves being good with people.
Cheers Stuart, I try not to let it get me down but it's hard sometimes. Like I said, I try to care little about things in order to stop the many setbacks I have had in my lifetime affect me too much. My bereavement two years ago largely killed what hopes and feelings I had for myself and my life. There is no fixing that, nor any other family left for me to be around. In some ways that liberates me enough for these setbacks not to matter anymore. I just get through the days. I've dealt with depression since I was a boy, so it's nothing new for me at all. I suspect I have a mild case of Aspergers or autism. Some have suggested I could be schizoid. Of course none of these would get me parked on disability, despite it harming my employability significantly. Job interviews are normally a nightmare for me, but I seem to be vaguely improving there. I seem to impress people pretty quickly, but not in job interviews. Unsurprisingly, I am quite happy to shut myself away, having given up on humanity and any dealings with it.

Thanks for the compliment. Sadly, as well as I may come across to some on here; discussing The Arsenal, having a decent standard of general knowledge, plus having an interest in history, geography and I.T. - Sadly none of these things really make me very employable, especially with the social issues I have and those damn phones. It's all useless information. You won't be surprised to hear that school was a nightmare for me as well, especially secondary which I never even finished. I went to college for a couple of years and got some certificates, though I still ended up on the dole for almost all of my twenties. It really is a wasted life. It's pretty crap being smart enough to realize that you are screwed. I'd love a job where I just had to sit on a computer, be barely required to speak and had some variability, whilst piling up my savings for retirement. Being a writer or author would be nice, but I wouldn't have a clue.

I am just one of those cursed people that doesn't fit in anywhere, sorry to say.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Well the financial melt down IS Coming - The USA has made an utter Oaf their President - we have an idiot for a Prime Minister and then there's

Isis
N.Korea
the Polarisation of East & West
:blah: :blah: :blah:

The economy is fucked - I mean even Football HAS already begun to eat itself....

See what you make of this 3 minute clip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-c ... vival-camp

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Sean, I was a bit of a late bloomer in my career. I pretty much coasted through college and the first couple of years of university without having a clue where I was heading. I had low self esteem and very little confidence in my abilities. I ended up sleeping all day and hiding in my room all night before eventually pulling out of university for 2 years with depression.

During that time away from university, I managed to apply for all sorts of jobs and got either turned down or, more often than not, didn't get any reply whatsoever :| I found signing on really demoralising and resigned myself to being just one of those people who simply doesn't fit in.

One thing that struck a chord with me was seasonal work picking fruit; an outside job that allowed me to earn money and be left alone to get on with the job without the stress of dealing with the public (night shift work in factories?). I loved it and followed 8 weeks in Denmark on a strawberry farm with 3 weeks picking grapes in France. I made some great friends, felt free and my troubles of back home seemed miles away. I know it's not for everyone but it was the job that saw my confidence and zest for life slowly return.

I decided to return to uni and finish my degree but I kept returning to Denmark for another 3 summers. The other employees were a mix or students and professional pickers; people who had decided the grind of the normal working world wasn't for them.

Look, I'm shit at giving advice but I couldn't help but see parallel's in our experiences so thought I'd share mine.

Anyway, for another source of positive thinking, let's not forget that Alan Partridge also "bounced back". At his lowest ebb, he ate an entire Toblerone and then drove to Dundee in his bare feet... now he's a presenter on radio Norwich. Needless to say, he had the last laugh 8)

Sean

Post by Sean »

Cheers, mate :barscarf:

Good advice. I wouldn't mind an outdoors job as a park ranger and the like, if not for driving licence requirements. Sadly I don't think they even advertise road-sweeper jobs where I am. I'd also consider working for Royal Mail. It's ridiculous that it's so hard to get local work in London of all places. Even here, it seems to be seasonal.

As it is, I'm in for another apprenticeship now, although they have pushed back the closing date another four weeks and it looks like it will be the last opportunity until December time. I've also spotted a temp facilities role at a charity my pal works for. Although in this day and age of ruthless impartiality, that hardly gives me an edge.

Anyway, I have said too much. I've tried to keep lid on my frustrations since I completed my apprenticeship one year ago this Thursday. I know some posters in the past have let their life issues bleed onto here and I don't want that.

Alan Partridge is an inspiration to us all. To my great shame, I haven't yet seen I'm Alan Partridge :oops: :lol:

Sean

Post by Sean »

I've only gone and been fucking offered a job 8)

It's the aforementioned temp facilities role at my pal's workplace. It's six months, subject to extension if they don't move building anytime soon. I had the interview yesterday on my birthday and they were already trying to get in touch by the afternoon. I was out and thought it may be an issue with a reference; they had said it may be a couple of days before they told people their decision.

This morning they told me that the job is mine. Twelve and a half months in the wilderness is over! I'll be looking forward to breaking the news to my bloke at the dole tomorrow.

Fucking hell, I must have fooled them like TOF fools the board and the AKBs :lol:

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Hey!!!! Sean that's Great News well done mate - You deserve it. :high5:.

Sincerely mate I hope it goes well for you. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am

It's the aforementioned temp facilities role at my pal's workplace. It's six months, subject to extension if they don't move building anytime soon. I had the interview yesterday on my birthday and they were already trying to get in touch by the afternoon. I was out and thought it may be an issue with a reference; they had said it may be a couple of days before they told people their decision.

This morning they told me that the job is mine. Twelve and a half months in the wilderness is over! I'll be looking forward to breaking the news to my bloke at the dole tomorrow.

Fucking hell, I must have fooled them like TOF fools the board and the AKBs :lol:

Great news Sean - I'm genuinely thrilled for you. :barscarf: 8) Best of luck in the new job, mate. 8)

NickF

Post by NickF »

That's absolutely brilliant news, well done Sean.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sean wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am

Excellent, well done mate :barscarf:

Sean

Post by Sean »

I've been let go today, after one week :shock:

I started the job finding out my boss was leaving after a month as well as the colleague who was showing me what to do. I brought up my concerns in the induction and got let go this afternoon. Unbelievable. I fucked up massively.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sean wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm

I started the job finding out my boss was leaving after a month as well as the colleague who was showing me what to do. I brought up my concerns in the induction and got let go this afternoon. Unbelievable. I fucked up massively.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that Sean.. :cry: That is so fuckedUP...bunchaCUNTS... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Sorry to hear that, Sean. Keep trying mate. Something will land for you. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I am anything but a science fan etc...but this is quite an amazing 13years+ story/adventure... btw: Don't be put off by the cartoonesque graphics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41207827

In its thirteen years at Saturn, Cassini has transformed our understanding of the sixth planet from the Sun.
It has watched monster storms encircle the globe; it witnessed the delicate interplay of ice particles move through the planet's complex ring system; and it revealed extraordinary new insights on the potential habitability of Saturn's moons.
Titan and Enceladus were the standout investigations.
The former is a bizarre place where liquid methane rains from an orange sky and runs into huge lakes. Cassini put a small European robot called Huygens on Titan's surface in 2005. It returned a remarkable image of pebbles that had been smoothed and rounded by the action of that flowing methane.
Cassini also spied what are presumed to be volcanoes that spew an icy slush and vast dunes made from a plastic-like sand.

Today, scientists are already talking about how they can go back with another, more capable probe to investigate this idea further.
A great many of those researchers have been gathered this week at the nearby campus of the California Institute of Technology. They watched a feed from the control room at JPL on giant screens.
Jonathan Lunine, from Cornell University at Ithaca, New York, spoke for many when he said: "I feel sad but I've felt sad the whole week; we knew this was going happen. And Cassini performed exactly as she was supposed to and I bet there is some terrific data on the ground now about Saturn's atmosphere."
And Linda Spilker, the Nasa Cassini project scientist, added: "Cassini may be gone, but its scientific bounty will keep us occupied for many years.
"We've only scratched the surface of what we can learn from the mountain of data it has sent back over its lifetime."