Froch vs Groves

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
QuartzGooner

Froch vs Groves

Post by QuartzGooner »

I think Froch on points, too much experience, too skilled.

northbank123

Re: Froch vs Groves

Post by northbank123 »

Proper brawl. Huge huge huge call from the ref though, this is gonna rumble on for weeks unless/until rematch agreed (not sure Froch will fancy it though)

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

All that is great about boxing for eight and a half half rounds then all that is bad in a split second. Fact is if George was in no fit state to defend himself at that point, why wasn't the fight stopped in the first round????

So so proud of George Groves who proved to everyone he is pure world class in and out of the ring, and the crowd reaction summed it all up. That was a real life rocky 4. (For anyone who didnt see) Groves boo'd on the way to the ring and Froch cheered and after, Groves cheered as the hero and Froch boo'd.

It was the first time in the fight George was genuinely hurt, and he had won all but 1 round for me in the fight to that point, and he had taken everything up until that point for a "chinny" fighter and think the ref got it wrong, yes we don't know what would have gone on to happen, but that's was a pure farse to be stopped when it was.

Don't think Froch will want a re-match, but one thing is for sure we have a future world champion in George Groves.

Gutted.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Oh and pacman vs rios tonight should be a tear up. Hey quartz what u make of roach ariza incident? Staged?

Fight on

www.boxingguru.eu

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Good to see you back posting Bren.

I think everyone knew that Groves was strong, well conditioned and game, but I never imagined he would give Froch so much trouble.
I thought Froch would find Groves easier to hit, and that Groves would run out of ideas about round seven then Froch would pile up the points.

Groves can grow from this, he deserves a top 10 world ranking in his weight class now.
Credit too to Adam Booth who essentially trained groves for most of his professional career.
Booth knows how to make a fighter sharp, I should have considered that.

Groves will come again, the fans want a rematch and it will be a huge fight...not just over here but the American fans will buy into it considering the ferocity of the fight tonight.

The stoppage seemed premature but I cannot make a definite judgement, I was not in the ring.
I always go back to Chavez vs Taylor for these discussions, the stoppage that was just two seconds from the end of the fight...a fighter can be one punch away from serious injury...and though tonight seemed an unjust intervention by the ref, far better that Groves walks away with his health.
Justice will be a rematch.

Ariza incident I think a real incident, Ariza is no stranger to controversy.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Maybe Froch's talk about Groves' glass jaw played on the ref's mind with the stoppage? I'm not suggesting for a minute that it was a 'fix' but you do have to question if it would have been stopped the other way round.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Great fight for 8 rounds with Groves giving Froch a boxing lesson.But what we did learn was regardless of the result is that Froch is on the way down.He also lost a lot of goodwill boxing fans had for him by his boorish antics after the fight while Groves took the defeat with dignity
Also something that hasnt been mentioned much was two of the judges only had Groves one point ahead after 8 rounds.And that was with a two point round for Groves in the first.These judges do my head in.I had Groves 4 points ahead

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

I've watched this back over and over. And the more I watch it as close as I can the more I think it's a wrong decision.

You have to watch it as a fight on the whole and the fact is Froch went Philly on groves ass so to speak and threw wild over hand shots followed by a rush forward with lots or pushing and pawing, which groves replied with a solid modern defence of hands held high and moving in anyway possible to get out of way of the shots, however unorthodox.

Groves dominated the fight, and quite frankly taught Froch a "boxing lesson"', the judges score cards at the end again show the scary side to boxing.

In regards to the finish he was stunned yes, but nothing compared to what Froch had been in previous rounds, watch the fight, through out the rounds, when in trouble, Froch runs in hands swinging to which George gets his hands up high and swerves out of the way quite erratically yes but Froch was wild as hell coming forward as usual.

At the very first sign of George being stunned it was stopped, not even a standing count. Who knows what would have happened but a rematch won't happen in my opinion sadly.

Best British boxer? George Groves

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Rematch Saturday Night

hope it's a classic just like the first.

I'm going for a Froch win again, :box: :box:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

The build-up has been first class.
Radio FiveLive had a fascinating pre-fight show, with a brilliant interview with Paulie Malignaggi.

I go for a very close Froch points win.

Just think he can take it up a notch whereas Groves showed all of his armoury last time.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's a huge evolutionary battle on a biblical scale. Will Froch, the human being, defeat the Ginger Daywalker, Groves?

:rubchin:

The fate of mankind could rest on this one, for if even one Daywalker can defeat a norm, the rest of his kind will rise up and before you can say "Zombie Apocalypse" the whole of mankind is fighting for survival. :shock:

Come on Froch - think of the children!! Destroy the Daywalker. 8) :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Hope Froch knocks Groves' head clean off his shoulders. Froch is not particularly charismatic and doesn't have a hugely likeable public persona, his lack of preparation for the first fight was also extremely arrogant. But Groves is a mouthy prick whose constant spouting off really grates on me. He'll have to rush off after the fight so that he can practise the words to "Ten German Bombers" to unleash in Brazil with the rest of his scummy Chav/NF mates.

I think Groves needs to have the upper hand first few rounds, if Froch matches him or comes out on top Froch has got too much stamina, class and guile for him. I actually think Groves profited more from the decision to stop it in the first fight because imo Froch would have knocked him down and he'd never have got all this publicity and popularity (not to mention £2m from the rematch). I'm backing Froch but a Groves win wouldn't be a huge surprise at all.

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

The fix was in during the first fight - pure corruption.

In saying that, the surprise factor is gone and Froch won't underestimate Groves this time round: expect him to win via TKO.

I'd like to see Groves knock his block off though, it'd only be poetic justice.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Someone get these lads a room

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:It's a huge evolutionary battle on a biblical scale. Will Froch, the human being, defeat the Ginger Daywalker, Groves?

:rubchin:

The fate of mankind could rest on this one, for if even one Daywalker can defeat a norm, the rest of his kind will rise up and before you can say "Zombie Apocalypse" the whole of mankind is fighting for survival. :shock:

Come on Froch - think of the children!! Destroy the Daywalker. 8) :barscarf:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't really follow boxing, but thught groves deserved the win in last fight - Ref got it wrong - apparently - the promoter wanted a British ref this time - but they've got a yank.

Hope Groves wins (ginger daywalker though he is) simply because he was swindled in the last one -...they are both good boxers - AND both British...should be a Pwaper Nawty Dust Up - ..

Edit: Groves on Points or Froch to knock Groves out early in the fight.

:box: :box: :box: :D