Short holiday destination ?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Short holiday destination ?

Post by StuartL »

Looking to go away for a week or 10 days to somewhere to grab some sunshine in Europe, probably late June or early July and looking for some inspiration. (kids won't have broken up from school and will be cheaper)

Ideal
Short flying time - don't want to waste a day just to get there.
Hot, without being stifling.
Sandy Beaches.
Things to see / do (excursions)
Watersports
decent food - happy to try local cuisine.

Not wanted

Typical Brits abroad
Bingo / Kareoke

SO any suggestions / recommendations please :D

Perryashburtongroves

Re: Short holiday destination ?

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

StuartL wrote:Looking to go away for a week or 10 days to somewhere to grab some sunshine in Europe, probably late June or early July and looking for some inspiration. (kids won't have broken up from school and will be cheaper)

Ideal
Sandy Beaches.
Watersports

Not wanted

Typical Brits abroad
Bingo / Kareoke

Croatia or Montenegro are my suggestions.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Short holiday? Ask LeftyHobbit or OneBardEwok. :D :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Short holiday? Ask LeftyHobbit or OneBardEwok. :D :wink:
Well I should imagine you living in "The Shire" is like a holiday everyday :wink: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Short holiday? Ask LeftyHobbit or OneBardEwok. :D :wink:
Well, living in "The Shire" is like a holiday everyday :wink: :lol:
I told you this guy could help! :barscarf:

:lol: :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Tallaght West Dublin,

No sandy beach but everything else is exactly what you are looking for.. Water sports ? If that includes Water Cannon then that is available. Local cuisine , "do you want salt and vinegar on that bud" ..Things to do and see..include equestrian events..usually bareback on a piebald pony. Car racing ..cars supplied.. Shooting..
There are no karaoke/bingo or boozed up Brits abroad... Interested then ?
P.S. Im from Tallaght so I CAN say these things as a joke Northside Dubs or Culchies cannot. Talalght is a great place to live.

Seriously I would love to recommend Ireland to you as it is a beautiful welcoming country but it is so expensive.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

If you wanted to go slightly further afield Egypt (Sharm el Sheikh specifically) is about 5 and a half hours away but you are guaranteed sun and it is a great trip. Prices are also very reasonable and 90% of hotels are very good, not much to pick between them. The Brits over there are OK as well. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:Tallaght West Dublin,

No sandy beach but everything else is exactly what you are looking for.. Water sports ? If that includes Water Cannon then that is available. Local cuisine , "do you want salt and vinegar on that bud" ..Things to do and see..include equestrian events..usually bareback on a piebald pony. Car racing ..cars supplied.. Shooting..
There are no karaoke/bingo or boozed up Brits abroad... Interested then ?
P.S. Im from Tallaght so I CAN say these things as a joke Northside Dubs or Culchies cannot. Talalght is a great place to live.

Seriously I would love to recommend Ireland to you as it is a beautiful welcoming country but it is so expensive.
:rubchin:

.............. :wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Dubrovnik, without a doubt one of the nicest places I've been in Europe.

The Radisson Blu is an amazing hotel (about 10 minutes out of the main resort).

If you're ever looking for a couple of days somewhere a bit different I would recommend Ljubljana. Its like a small version of Prague.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
StuartL wrote:Looking to go away for a week or 10 days to somewhere to grab some sunshine in Europe, probably late June or early July and looking for some inspiration. (kids won't have broken up from school and will be cheaper)

Ideal
Sandy Beaches.
Watersports

Not wanted

Typical Brits abroad
Bingo / Kareoke

Cheers PerryAshburtonGroves - I did actually pick up a brochure re Croatia as I have seen the Adriatic coast on a programme and it looked very nice. Have you been there personally ? recommend anywhere inparticular ?

Hmm may save the trip over to Ireland for the next Online Gooner get together :)

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

StuartL wrote:

Ideal
Sandy Beaches.
Watersports

Not wanted

Typical Brits abroad
Bingo / Kareoke

Cheers PerryAshburtonGroves - I did actually pick up a brochure re Croatia as I have seen the Adriatic coast on a programme and it looked very nice. Have you been there personally ? recommend anywhere inparticular ?

Hmm may save the trip over to Ireland for the next Online Gooner get together :)
Yeah, like I said, Dubrovnik is amazing and an ideal destination where you'll find all you are looking for and none of what you want to avoid. Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that Dubrovnik is in Croatia....... on the Adriatic coast :wink:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Ideal
Sandy Beaches.
Watersports

Not wanted

Typical Brits abroad
Bingo / Kareoke

Yeah, like I said, Dubrovnik is amazing and an ideal destination where you'll find all you are looking for and none of what you want to avoid. Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that Dubrovnik is in Croatia....... on the Adriatic coast :wink:

Lol Spudmasher, I was aware that Dubrovnik is in Croatia, apologies for not replying to your very helpful and thoughtful advice :) Will start my investigations.
And to Skizz too for his suggestion :)

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

StuartL wrote:

Ideal
Sandy Beaches.
Watersports

Not wanted

Typical Brits abroad
Bingo / Kareoke

Evening, Stuart, hope all is well, mate. I went to Croatia a few years ago, to a place called Okrug Gornji which is near Trogir and not far from Split. We went in the summer and the weather was fantastic- hot but not scorching with a lovely sea breeze. The town was quiet small and relaxing, long beaches, nice restaurants and I don't think we saw any other English there so none of that booze, bars and karaoke stuff you want to avoid. Trogir is a picture postcard town which you can go to by boat taxi from Okrug Gornji. The only downside we found was that the beach was pebbles not sand but everything else was fantastic and I would without doubt recommend it. We flew from Standsted to Bratislava and then flew to Split which was a lot cheaper than flying direct. One place to look at too might be this website: https://www.anatoliansky.co.uk/
I have nothing to do with them and no interest in them at all, but went to Turkey with them and they offered a very good service.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Ideal
Sandy Beaches.
Watersports

Not wanted

Typical Brits abroad
Bingo / Kareoke

Ireland :D :D

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Corfu, Crete Rhodes (In parts) Corsica or Southern France mainland if you arent wanting as long a flight, all are warm, water sports and lots to see & do.