ABERDEEN

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Ultimatum94

ABERDEEN

Post by Ultimatum94 »

What do you think of the place??

Ever been there??

Thanks, fellow Gooners.

Red Snapper

Re: ABERDEEN

Post by Red Snapper »

Very interesting place. We went there before it was handed back to the Chinese so it was full of traders in junks and floating restaurants. Seemed a strange name for Hong Kong harbour but hey ho.

Ultimatum94

Post by Ultimatum94 »

Red Snapper wrote:Very interesting place. We went there before it was handed back to the Chinese so it was full of traders in junks and floating restaurants. Seemed a strange name for Hong Kong harbour but hey ho.
Lol so its full of asian students just like London?

Also is an outdoor life viable in Aberdeen as I might moving there?

Thanks for the info, Snapper.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I spent a few months living there last year. The city centre is pretty good and if you're into shopping then it has all you could need. The restaurants are pretty good too. The area around the port (just south of union street) is where you'll find the hookers :wink:
You need to be aware though that Aberdeen is a bit of a micro climate financially. Owing to the presence of the oil and gas industry property prices are high (almost London prices), restaurants can be expensive too. The up side of that industry is the multi-cultural aspect. Lots of Europeans and Americans there. This means the locals are more accepting of the English too.
Now, if you go outside of the city mainly to the north, they are a bit more nationalist in their attitudes. Once you pass Old Meldrum, and before the coastal towns of Banff and Macduff, they are a bunch of anti-English bigoted racists. It is a small pocket but best avoided. It seems to be situated around Turriff. I would also avoid Fraserburgh and Peterhead as they have drug problems there and crime is rife.
Employment is readily available and salaries are good too as there is a skills shortage in Aberdeen. Having said that, avoid a company called Ace Winches. It looks a great place to work but is truly awful. People are leaving in droves, more than 100 in the last year alone (out of a staff of 200).
If there is anything else you want to know then please ask.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that it is fucking cold when the wind comes in off the north sea!

Ultimatum94

Post by Ultimatum94 »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I spent a few months living there last year. The city centre is pretty good and if you're into shopping then it has all you could need. The restaurants are pretty good too. The area around the port (just south of union street) is where you'll find the hookers :wink:
You need to be aware though that Aberdeen is a bit of a micro climate financially. Owing to the presence of the oil and gas industry property prices are high (almost London prices), restaurants can be expensive too. The up side of that industry is the multi-cultural aspect. Lots of Europeans and Americans there. This means the locals are more accepting of the English too.
Now, if you go outside of the city mainly to the north, they are a bit more nationalist in their attitudes. Once you pass Old Meldrum, and before the coastal towns of Banff and Macduff, they are a bunch of anti-English bigoted racists. It is a small pocket but best avoided. It seems to be situated around Turriff. I would also avoid Fraserburgh and Peterhead as they have drug problems there and crime is rife.
Employment is readily available and salaries are good too as there is a skills shortage in Aberdeen. Having said that, avoid a company called Ace Winches. It looks a great place to work but is truly awful. People are leaving in droves, more than 100 in the last year alone (out of a staff of 200).

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that it is fucking cold when the wind comes in off the north sea!
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info mate.

As the time comes nearer, I'll definitely PM you for anymore info.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I spent a few months living there last year. The city centre is pretty good and if you're into shopping then it has all you could need. The restaurants are pretty good too. The area around the port (just south of union street) is where you'll find the hookers :wink:

Former employee...? :rubchin:

:wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Employment is readily available and salaries are good too as there is a skills shortage in Aberdeen. Having said that, avoid a company called Ace Wenches. It looks a great place to work but is truly awful. People are leaving in droves, more than 100 in the last year alone (out of a staff of 200).

Are they the same company that supply the hookers!? :D :wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Former employee...? :rubchin:

:wink:
Yes, and I could tell you stories that would make your teeth curl!

Such as the time the CEO commissioned a survey to see why so many people are leaving. When the results came back that it was because he was a twat he rubbished the survey as being lies and sacked the person that he had asked to do it!
Bloke is a total wanker!

Herd

Post by Herd »

It's a shit hole ,but an expensive one !
The locals are complete *word censored* who resent anyone who isn't from there making coin but they hate each other more so
U will always see the townies and the teuchtars kicking off .
Union street is OK and the woman are complete cock sluts who frequent the bars the locals cant afford to drink in
so no need for the red light district which is full of junkies ,only condoms as they are rife with disease.
The local football teams hooligans the wankers from the asc have an alliance with a shit team from up the road but they are a bunch of pussies.
Its always cold even in summer and the winter last forever .
Avoid it at all costs !

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Herd wrote:It's a shit hole ,but an expensive one !
The locals are complete *word censored* who resent anyone who isn't from there making coin but they hate each other more so
Union street is OK and the woman are complete cock sluts who frequent the bars the locals cant afford to drink in
so no need for the red light district which is full of junkies ,only condoms as they are rife with disease.
The local football teams hooligans the wankers from the asc have an alliance with a shit team from up the road but they are a bunch of pussies.
Avoid it at all costs !

Herd a career in tourism awaits you..

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Herd wrote:It's a shit hole ,but an expensive one !
Avoid it at all costs !
Have cancelled my week in Croatia now on Herd's advice :)