Coming over to Dublin

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Coming over to Dublin

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:There are a few FXB restaurants in dublin which are great steakhouses 8)
augie is bang on the money there, Lefty. FXB's are fantastic. Top quality steak and craft beers. And reasonably priced too - for Dublin! 8)

Book in advance though as they do a roaring trade;

http://www.fxbuckley.ie/
Cheers Dudes, thanks for the link too DB, quick question, one of the restaurants is in crow street and called Temple Bar, is this the bar that should be avoided?

Thanks again Augie and DB :barscarf:

LeftfootlegendGooner

REB wrote:ah the auld dublin edit :mrgreen:

i used to hate dublin tbh but the last few times ive been up there have been great nights and am heading there in aug and nov for a few days away with the mrs, would defo recommend it for a good weekend.
I shall be there in November too, guessing it will be pretty cold and damp at that time of year.

REB

Post by REB »

ireland can be quiet warm in november for some reason but yeah can be very wet :mrgreen:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:There are a few FXB restaurants in dublin which are great steakhouses 8)
augie is bang on the money there, Lefty. FXB's are fantastic. Top quality steak and craft beers. And reasonably priced too - for Dublin! 8)

Cheers Dudes, thanks for the link too DB, quick question, one of the restaurants is in crow street and called Temple Bar, is this the bar that should be avoided?

Yep. But I'd avoid Temple Bar more if you are looking to stay in one area for the whole evening as it is dear and full of mongs. But no hassle to visit one restaurant there. Pop into the FXB there for convenience to Dame st and then hit the Mercantile. Or you could go to the FXB in Pembroke St up near Stephen's Green which is near Grafton St and easy to find.

LeftfootlegendGooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yep. But I'd avoid Temple Bar more if you are looking to stay in one area for the whole evening as it is dear and full of mongs. But no hassle to visit one restaurant there. Pop into the FXB there for convenience to Dame st and then hit the Mercantile. Or you could go to the FXB in Pembroke St up near Stephen's Green which is near Grafton St and easy to find.
Notes taken mate and will probably go to the Pembroke one :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:I am coming over to Dublin for my birthday in November, so I was after some advice from my Irish brothers on good places to stay, see, eat and drink :barscarf:

I am however expecting some friendly abuse, but please.....be gentle :wink: :lol:
Dublin is a decent but expensive City...As stated elsewhere Temple Bar is a rip off, wouldn't imagine restaurant prices are far out of sync there but certainly pub prices particularly "late prices" after 11pm are a disgrace that thankfully is being highlighted in media now. €19.90 for two pints and two packets of crisps is a scandal ..about £16stg..

I always recommend my favourite "town" pub which is a real pub with proper staff called The Oval on the corner of O Connoll Street and Abbey Street....DB10 sometimes drinks there !!!!!..Depending on where you are staying in Dublin , most shopping entertainment areas are with walking distance. The city is generally friendly but as with any City be aware and be careful..In twenty years of working in City Centre Hotels I was often amazed by the reaction of tourists (mostly USA) who were disappointed to be given a few words of advice on safety. It is only common sense wherever you go.
Enjoy the trip.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:I am coming over to Dublin for my birthday in November, so I was after some advice from my Irish brothers on good places to stay, see, eat and drink :barscarf:

I am however expecting some friendly abuse, but please.....be gentle :wink: :lol:
Dublin is a decent but expensive City...As stated elsewhere Temple Bar is a rip off, wouldn't imagine restaurant prices are far out of sync there but certainly pub prices particularly "late prices" after 11pm are a disgrace that thankfully is being highlighted in media now. €19.90 for two pints and two packets of crisps is a scandal ..about £16stg..

I always recommend my favourite "town" pub which is a real pub with proper staff called The Oval on the corner of O Connoll Street and Abbey Street....DB10 sometimes drinks there !!!!!..Depending on where you are staying in Dublin , most shopping entertainment areas are with walking distance. The city is generally friendly but as with any City be aware and be careful..In twenty years of working in City Centre Hotels I was often amazed by the reaction of tourists (mostly USA) who were disappointed to be given a few words of advice on safety. It is only common sense wherever you go.
Enjoy the trip.
I have indeed been known to sup a pint or two in the Oval. It's a great proper Dublin pub. I always feel welcomed like an old friend there even though I'm nowhere near being a regular in the place. 8) I've also been known to frequent TP Smiths down the other end of Abbey St near Jervis LUAS stop. Nice pint, great staff and the pub grub is good and very reasonably priced too. 8)

Word of caution though; Abbey street has a bit of a problem with junkies and homeless alcoholics and can get a bit leery after dark. Again, just be sensible and streetwise and you'll be fine.

REB

Post by REB »

was in the oval before the all ireland final last year and again when i went to the aviva for the last ireland game, its a grand little pub and you get chance out of a fiver for a pint :barscarf:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Bradywasking wrote:

Enjoy the trip.
Cheers Brady, I will definitely frequent The Oval, thanks for the rest of the advice too, much appreciated, we don't know what hotel we will be staying in yet but my missus has expensive taste so I had better get some good systems sold before then :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:

Enjoy the trip.
I have indeed been known to sup a pint or two in the Oval. It's a great proper Dublin pub. I always feel welcomed like an old friend there even though I'm nowhere near being a regular in the place. 8) I've also been known to frequent TP Smiths down the other end of Abbey St near Jervis LUAS stop. Nice pint, great staff and the pub grub is good and very reasonably priced too. 8)

Word of caution though; Abbey street has a bit of a problem with junkies and homeless alcoholics and can get a bit leery after dark. Again, just be sensible and streetwise and you'll be fine.
Cheers dude, streetwise is something I am, my Dad (god bless him) said our road that I grew up in was so rough that even the alsatians walked around in pairs :shock: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

REB wrote:ireland can be quiet warm in november for some reason but yeah can be very wet :mrgreen:
I've always said as long as it's wet and warm may as well get in there :barscarf:

LeftfootlegendGooner

northbank123 wrote:
REB wrote:ireland can be quiet warm in november for some reason but yeah can be very wet :mrgreen:
I've always said as long as it's wet and warm may as well get in there :barscarf:
:lol:

I sure hope it is for my birthday :wink: :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Right guys I am looking at booking the Merrion Hotel on Upper Merrion Street, looks nice, anybody know of this hotel :rubchin:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Right guys I am looking at booking the Merrion Hotel on Upper Merrion Street, looks nice, anybody know of this hotel :rubchin:

If you are staying in the merrion obviously money is not a problem. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:

Dublin is a shithole and full of junkie thieving c*nts...As stated elsewhere Temple Bar is a rip off, wouldn't imagine restaurant prices are far out of sync there but certainly pub prices particularly "late prices" after 11pm are a disgrace that thankfully is being highlighted in media now. €19.90 for two pints and two packets of crisps is a scandal ..about £16stg..

Enjoy the trip.

Fixed that for you 8) :wink: :lol: :lol: