Coming over to Dublin

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Coming over to Dublin

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:I am coming over to Dublin for my birthday in November, so I was after some advice from my Irish brothers on good places to stay, see, eat and drink :barscarf:

I am however expecting some friendly abuse, but please.....be gentle :wink: :lol:
Dublin is a shithole and full of junkie thieving c*nts...As stated elsewhere Temple Bar is a rip off, wouldn't imagine restaurant prices are far out of sync there but certainly pub prices particularly "late prices" after 11pm are a disgrace that thankfully is being highlighted in media now. €19.90 for two pints and two packets of crisps is a scandal ..about £16stg..

I always recommend my favourite "town" pub which is a real pub with proper staff called The Oval on the corner of O Connoll Street and Abbey Street....DB10 sometimes drinks there !!!!!..Depending on where you are staying in Dublin , most shopping entertainment areas are with walking distance. The city is generally friendly but as with any City be aware and be careful..In twenty years of working in City Centre Hotels I was often amazed by the reaction of tourists (mostly USA) who were disappointed to be given a few words of advice on safety. It is only common sense wherever you go.
Enjoy the trip.

Fixed that for you 8) :wink: :lol: :lol:
Not going now :cry: :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Right guys I am looking at booking the Merrion Hotel on Upper Merrion Street, looks nice, anybody know of this hotel :rubchin:
Expensive place, full of politicians and German officials who come over here to run our economy on weekdays. Nice place in a nice part of town.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Bradywasking wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Right guys I am looking at booking the Merrion Hotel on Upper Merrion Street, looks nice, anybody know of this hotel :rubchin:
Expensive place, full of politicians and German officials who come over here to run our economy on weekdays. Nice place in a nice part of town.
Meant to say there is a bus service from outside the arrivals hall in Dublin Airport..it is called AIRCOACH..It goes into town and down South coast of City.. Nearest stop to Merrion Hotel I think is St Stephan's Green , it costs a couple about €30 return where a taxi return trip would be about €90..

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
The Merrion is a really nice hotel, Lefty. Was at a conference there last year and the food/facilities/staff were all top quality. 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Bradywasking wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
Meant to say there is a bus service from outside the arrivals hall in Dublin Airport..it is called AIRCOACH..It goes into town and down South coast of City.. Nearest stop to Merrion Hotel I think is St Stephan's Green , it costs a couple about €30 return where a taxi return trip would be about €90..

That's some brilliant advice Brady and saves me a few quid, I shall buy you a pint if I see you about the place :barscarf:

LeftfootlegendGooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
The Merrion is a really nice hotel, Lefty. Was at a conference there last year and the food/facilities/staff were all top quality. 8)
Cheers dude, well after the year my missus has had I like to spoil her a bit (even though it is my birthday :lol: ) although I think she is playing on it a bit tbh :roll: :lol:

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:I am coming over to Dublin for my birthday in November, so I was after some advice from my Irish brothers on good places to stay, see, eat and drink :barscarf:

I am however expecting some friendly abuse, but please.....be gentle :wink: :lol:
Tallagh is nice, DB10 seems to think so anyway :wink:
DB10GOONER wrote: Word of advice to any non-Dubs going; be careful in Tallaght (it's a dangerous kip) so don't drink in the pubs out there (especially with your big culchy "mug me" accents), instead drink in the city centre.

And don't wear Arsenal colours if going alone. There have been incidents of "patriotic" fans ( :roll: ) of the Oirish league having a pop at Oirish fans of foreign clubs before.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RoscommonGooner wrote:

Tallagh is nice, DB10 seems to think so anyway :wink:
DB10GOONER wrote: Word of advice to any non-Dubs going; be careful in Tallaght (it's a dangerous kip) so don't drink in the pubs out there (especially with your big culchy "mug me" accents), instead drink in the city centre.

And don't wear Arsenal colours if going alone. There have been incidents of "patriotic" fans ( :roll: ) of the Oirish league having a pop at Oirish fans of foreign clubs before.
Don't you be insulting Tallaght-fornia motherfucker!! :x :banghead:

:wink:

Ah Tallaght. I actually have 2 sound workmates that live out there. And they fucking hate it! :lol: It is a much maligned area of Dublin but in all honesty there are a lot of honest hard working people out there too, not just scumbags. But it can be rough as fuck tbh. :(

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

I stayed out in Tallaght, in that hotel across from the Stadium one weekend. I took the Red Luas into town and the Green one out to Leopardstown to go to the races, the difference between the clients on the two lines was striking to say the least :roll: In saying that, I'm not sure which were worse, the tracksuit wearing howyas or the pretentious gimps.

Regarding places to drink in Dublin, I always enjoy going to Whelans on Wexford Street, nice pint and good music 8) :cheers:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RoscommonGooner wrote:I stayed out in Tallaght, in that hotel across from the Stadium one weekend. I took the Red Luas into town and the Green one out to Leopardstown to go to the races, the difference between the clients on the two lines was striking to say the least :roll: In saying that, I'm not sure which were worse, the tracksuit wearing howyas or the pretentious gimps.

Regarding places to drink in Dublin, I always enjoy going to Whelans on Wexford Street, nice pint and good music 8) :cheers:
haha - the two extremes of Dublin society are perfectly demonstrated on the LUAS! :lol: :lol: In all honesty most Dubs fall somewhere between the two. 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

REB wrote:was in the oval before the all ireland final last year and again when i went to the aviva for the last ireland game, its a grand little pub and you get chance out of a fiver for a pint :barscarf:
Had a few in there when I went to Bob Dylan in June, nice pint of Guinness, tbf I don't think I've had a poor pint of Guinness in Dublin.
I've always had a good time whenever I've been to Dublin, as for Temple Bar, it's simply not my scene so I wouldn't even have a pint there.
Grafton Street is nice for a stroll and a look at the local and tourist talent, and a few nice little pubs to be found down it's side streets.

LeftfootlegendGooner

goonersid wrote:
REB wrote:was in the oval before the all ireland final last year and again when i went to the aviva for the last ireland game, its a grand little pub and you get chance out of a fiver for a pint :barscarf:
Had a few in there when I went to Bob Dylan in June, nice pint of Guinness, tbf I don't think I've had a poor pint of Guinness in Dublin.
I've always had a good time whenever I've been to Dublin, as for Temple Bar, it's simply not my scene so I wouldn't even have a pint there.
Grafton Street is nice for a stroll and a look at the local and tourist talent, and a few nice little pubs to be found down it's side streets.
Cheers Sid, you wouldn't send me down a wrongun would you :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
goonersid wrote:
One man's wrongun, and all that :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

goonersid wrote:
goonersid wrote:
That's exactly what got me a bollokin from the missus :| :shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
goonersid wrote:
That's exactly what got me a bollokin from the missus :| :shock:
You can take the boy out of prison but you can't take prison out of the boy, huh? :rubchin:

:lol: :wink: