The Young Ones

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: The Young Ones

Post by DB10GOONER »

The Sun will be running this headline tomorrow apparently;

"Every British celebrity from the 1970's and 80's is a Peado"

:barscarf: :wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:At least with trial by jury you go into the courtroom an innocent man
No, you really don't.

Trial by jury is risky based on everyone's prejudice and what stereotypes they label people with. Everyone forms some sort of stereotype in their mind.Trial by jury is a reason (one of many) I will never branch into criminal law after I qualify as a practising solicitor. Trying to prove beyond reasonable doubt with no margin for error that a man is innocent even though he has already been prejudged socially and stereotypically by the very people who make the life changing choice of freedom or incarceration is a battle which gets harder as society moves forward.

Section 44 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 allows a judge to proceed with a trial without jury but only if the the application meets two factors, both involving jury tampering.

But that isn't your job as defence council. The burden of proof is with the prosecution, not the defence. A judge also has the right to direct a verdict and if he/she believes that the state has not satisfied this burden will direct a jury to acquit.

The legal presumtion in a courtroom has to be that a person is innocent until proven guilty. The only contradiction to this is that a not guilty verdict basically means 'not proven' (I think this is actually a legal verdict in Scotland?). It doesn't automatically qualify as innocent, which is morally wrong.

Trial by media is a scandal. These people should be allowed anonymity at least to the point they are charged. I'm always reminded of the actor Peter Adamson who was accused of indecent behaviour at a swimming pool. He was found not guilty but his life was ruined as a result. In fact, I don't think he ever worked again (although I could be wrong).

It's wrong that these alleged victims can retain their anonymity but the accused cannot. As a community we tend to pre-judge people and once the accusation is made then there will always be a sector of society that becomes judge jury and executioner without actually knowing the facts.
Just out of interest though, a sister of one of my friends is a clerk at Southwark crown court. She was involved in the Rolf Harris case and only half of what occured in the court made it to the papers. She says that he was without doubt guilty and most of the defence was a farce.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ironic that his Biggest Hit was called "The Young Ones".

IF it is True and he is a Paedo - May they throw him in Gaol and let the inmates 'ave their fun'...if not true ?? ...well I think such accusations leave their mark forever no matter what may be said and/or proven.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

OneBardGooner wrote:Ironic that his Biggest Hit was called "The Young Ones".

IF it is True and he is a Paedo - May they throw him in Gaol and let the inmates 'ave their fun'...if not true ?? ...well I think such accusations leave their mark forever no matter what may be said and/or proven.
I don't see why he should have something which he might enjoy. Let him go to a women's prison so he can't get himself bummed senseless in the shower night and day. Perma-tanned, in-the-closet *word censored*.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Living Doll actually, but only on the basis that it got a revival for comic relief, ironically performed with "The Young Ones"

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:

Living Doll actually, but only on the basis that it got a revival for comic relief, ironically performed with "The Young Ones"
:shock:

Actually I was only guessing that Young Ones was his biggest hit Spuddy....But, the FACT that you seem to know a great deal about Cliff Richards music speaks volumes

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:

I don't see why he should have something which he might enjoy. Let him go to a women's prison so he can't get himself bummed senseless in the shower night and day. Perma-tanned, in-the-closet *word censored*.
What you mean kickin' the *word censored* to pieces ?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Maybe he is a dirty paedo - and I wish all the ill-fortune on the world on him if he is - but I think it is a disgrace that the police are feeding so much information to the press on somebody who they haven't even charged yet.

They will justify it to themselves by saying that it will encourage other victims to come forward but really it is just smearing him and trial by media. Given the resources allocated to it and the publicity the wider issue has received, surely if the police have any competence then they have to have some confidence in nailing him if he's guilty.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I think this one is just spiteful bullshit. I really don't see there being any truth in it.

Also, if this alleged assault on a minor happened in the 1980's I doubt that anyone would still have the evidence laying around their house 30 years later :roll:

I'm a great believer in these people not being named until a verdict has been returned. I saw Freddie Starr on the tv recently and he looked like a broken man who's life had been torn apart by malicious claims and public rumour.

Trial by public opinion is far worse than trial by jury. At least with trial by jury you go into the courtroom an innocent man whereas in the press you are guilty before you even get there. People always state the 'no smoke without fire' bullshit and hang these poor fuckers out to dry. DLT is currently going back to court because he allegedly sexually assaulted another girl in the 1980's. The basis of this particular claim is that he 'touched her in an innapropriat manner'. If that's the case you can probably lock up everyone that's ever been on holiday to Ibiza. :roll: :roll:
Good, he ate my fucking hamster :evil:
The most disturbing thing on this thread, sid, is that you had a hamster set aside specifically for the purposes of "fucking".

:lol: :wink:
:lol: They're just like a beaver only cheaper :wink:
Typical...you feckin' cheapskate!

:D :wink: