Destinatons for lads weekend away in November

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
the playing mantis

Destinatons for lads weekend away in November

Post by the playing mantis »

help needed, anyone got any recommendations for a european, weekend away venue for a few blokes.

we were planning dublin but have changed idea and are now looking for somewhere in europe within 2 hr flight. in nov.
we were thinking barca or somewhere in germany, cologne and hamburg have been done and were decent but anyone have any other suggestions? no interest in scandinavia.

trip will involve the usual drinking, clubbing etc. but is not a stag do or anyhting.

cheers!
Last edited by the playing mantis on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arseofacrow

Re: Destinatons for lads weekend away in November

Post by arseofacrow »

First thing that comes to mind is Prague.

Other than being a bit chilly, it's still quite cheap. clubs, great beer and much, much more :lol:

Oh yeah, Barcelona's pretty tidy. :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Prague is great, seems to me like it would probably suit your purpose. Especially if you're willing to forego spending your time at the (comparatively) expensive moron-magnet English/Irish bars in Old Town square and literally walk 1 or 2 minutes to any of the tens of great bars around the side streets of the Old Town. Where the atmosphere will still be great, lively and you'll pay just over a pound for a cracking pint.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

I know you said it's not a stag do but this instantly came to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabpPq4HqGs

:lol:

BENAYOUN

Post by BENAYOUN »

south of italy is nice and cheap. portugal as well..

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I love Barcelona. Everything you want to do within walking distance. On the coast so you can get away from the hustle of the city, and in November should still be warm-ish.

Being loyal, I'd also recommend Andalucia. Granada is an amazing place (and for 20-something men is full of gorgeous Spanish students) or if you prefer the coast Cádiz is weekend-sized.

LaughingGooner

Post by LaughingGooner »

Can't beat Brussels, good Eurostar deals, quick journey, great beer, decent food, pubs all open until you drop.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

If it's just a good laugh and cheap beer then Budapest is one of the best boys weekends. It's actually quite a beautiful city,beer is dead cheap nice bars and quite a friendly place. Mate and I went a good few years ago(2006) and had a good time. It wasn't a stag do either and it's not in your face stag type place but the girls are absolutely stunning...well just because you're not changing your Ferrari doesn't mean you can't admire a Bugatti Veyron :wink:

Other city I would recommend is Valencia,not far to travel,weather will still be relatively mild and if you and your mates are lucky you could catch a game at the Mestalla.

Best weekend break I've had with a big group of boys though is Vilnius in Lithuania. This place is geared up for boys weekends. Beer is ridiculously cheap,some quirky bars just outside the city with lots of soviet era memorabilia and a creepy prison tour in the city centre where the Ivan s murdered lots of poor Lithuanians during WW2. Flights are pretty cheapened if any of your mates are so inclined, the best looking girls I have ever seen(outside of the Mrs Tg obviously) are from Lithuania.

Good luck, envy you mate,haven't been on a boys w'end to Europe since 07. :(

Other thing about Vilnius is they organised off road adventures and shooting parties when I was there. Good fun for the more competitive in your group.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Budapest

Much better than Prague as the bars all line the Danube and you can crawl from one to the other with ease. It is cheaper than Prague as well.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Went on a stag do to Berlin a couple of years ago. Excellent place loads of good bars and clubs a bit of history to see during the day (Brandenburg gates, Berlin Wall & Checkpoint Charlie) all within easy reach of the bars too

Well recommended

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I quite liked Berlin too. In fact I've been to many German cities (20+) over the last few years for work and have enjoyed all of them. I'm working for a German Company now and if the opportunity comes up to re-locate through them I would be very tempted to do it.

Erlangen, just outside Nuremberg, is an excellent place. It is a university town and is wall to wall totty. I went there back in June for a business trip that coincided with their local beer festival. Loads of tipsy totty everywhere, great fun!

There's so much to see in Budapest but the thing I liked best was proably the most simple of all. It is a small monument called 'Shoes on the Danube'. It is worth reading up about it online and knowing the story behind it. Harrowing to say the least but really interesting.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

decided on munich, berlin was a factor but it was a toss up and bayern were at home so we hope to catch bayerns home game too if we are comatose and the bundesliga leave it on a saturday and we can get some cheap tickets.

beer bratwurst and bavarian beauts.

anyone recommend bars/clubs, city centreish hotels?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:decided on munich, berlin was a factor but it was a toss up and bayern were at home so we hope to catch bayerns home game too if we are comatose and the bundesliga leave it on a saturday and we can get some cheap tickets.

Went to the Octoberfest back in the early 90's and had a fantastic time. The one thing the tourist sites etc don't tell you is that the whole city smells of farts. Something to do with all that beer and sausage. :lol: :wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

the playing mantis wrote:decided on munich, berlin was a factor but it was a toss up and bayern were at home so we hope to catch bayerns home game too if we are comatose and the bundesliga leave it on a saturday and we can get some cheap tickets.

Flemings hotel in the city centre is fucking excellent. Loads of top quality bars nearby.

Let me know when you're going as if I'm working out there at the time I'll join you for a few beers.

Do it by PM though as if DB10 finds out when you're away he'll rob your house :lol: :wink:

Also be aware that Munich has just opened a "Clothing optional" area within the city :barscarf: :barscarf:

You gotta love those Germans :lol:

navangooner

Post by navangooner »

Haufbrahaus worth a visit. There is a good Irish bar with an Australian bar attached. Il find out the name and post it. Both bars were excellent. There is an area just outside the city where all the night clubs are. Any of the taxis will take you there but that's normally a 2am jobbie