Phil Hughes critically injured during match: RIP

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Bradywasking

Re: Phil Hughes critically injured during match: RIP

Post by Bradywasking »

Very sad story, in Ireland the game of hurling is massively popular. At the top end it is a fantastic game of skill and speed. At lower levels especially at local club it can be purely savage , macho and tribal . Yet it was only in recent years that the wearing of helmets was compulsory. This met with resistance including one high profile retirement. I heard last night that the first cricket player in Australia to wear a helmet was booed by the crowd for being cowardly. Nassar Hussain was saying it was probably Phil Hughes natural instinct to turn his head that was the problem as it left the only area unprotected vulnerable.
Whatever the reasons the thoughts of a young man going out to play a game and not go home is tragic beyond belief RIP.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Brady:

Pretty much every early adopter of helmets was mercilessly booed by crowds all over the World. You could not pay me enough money to face Michael Holding in his pomp without one.

I know cricket can be seen as a strange and genteel Imperial oddity, but it can be geniunely dangerous too. I'm surprised more aren't seriously hurt.

Hurling seems fucking crazy to a layman like me!

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Im wondering if helmets have actually altered things for the worse. It gives a false sense of security. If you didnt wear a helmet you learnt quickly to watch the ball, and deal with it if possible. Now it doesnt matter if it hits you (till now at any rate), so you more often see players taking their eye off the ball.

It may also have slightly deterred bowlers from bowling bouncers knowing that the batsman wasnt dressed up to the nines to avoid them.

I really hope that laws arent rushed in, rushed laws too often = bad law.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

A terrible, terrible accident. There is something so sad about a young sportsman dying as the chance to fulfill their talent will never be realised. It's also the frequent displaying of scorecards and the interest we take in them that seems to remind us that a certain player is no longer with us. RIP Phillip, a cricketer and also Arsenal fan.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Phil Hughes was a happy little fella always smiling & quick to help his mates. RIP Hughsey - Tassie Gooner mate. :barscarf: :barscarf: