A British woman, sentenced to death for drug smuggling

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Nuggets

A British woman, sentenced to death for drug smuggling

Post by Nuggets »

Well as far as I am concerned you pay your money and take your chances, I wonder if she would have given away some of the money she would have got for smuggling all those drugs?? I have no sympathy at all for drug smugglers, they reap the rewards they should take the consequences and shut the fook up with the moaning when they get caught. :cussing:

SPUDMASHER

Re: A British woman, sentenced to death for drug smuggling

Post by SPUDMASHER »

In general I would agree with that. Particularly for those to whom taking the risk is an occupational hazard, however, it isn't always as black and white as it appears!

Let's assume that she is a career smuggler that got caught. She knew what she was doing and this probably isn't the first time she's done it. Therefore she deserves to face the punishment of the country in which she committed the crime. No question about that!

Now let's assume she has a family member that is dying of a curable disease or some other ailment. Treatment for the disease is very expensive and/or not available on the NHS. She's desperate! She sees an opportunity to get the money together to save a loved one. She isn't a bad person, she just made a bad choice. Given that circumstance do you think she deserves to die?

You have to look at more than just the black and white aspect of the offence. The circumstances surrounding it, the general character of the person, extenuating circumstances etc. all have to be taken into account before making a judgment. It is easy for us to sit here and make such judgments but until you sit through all the evidence, mitigation, character references etc. etc. you cannot really make a decision.

I don't know the circumstances of the case you're referring to so I cannot comment directly on it.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I
I don't know the circumstances of the case you're referring to so I cannot comment directly on it.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a ... nce-appeal

Death by firing squad. Barbaric. Surprised someone would start a thread on it to voice their approval of such a cruel horrifying punishment :?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Totally against capital punishment whichever form it is served but if you drug smuggle in a country with this punishment then you're asking for trouble and I do have limited sympathy

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

They won't execute her. The process will follow the usual pattern-Bluster from their Government, followed by a tearful interview from her in which she blames some bloke for it all. She will then be extradited back to the U.K. to "serve" a short sentence in an open prison, or maybe even a non-custodial one if she can get some Liberal M.P. to advocate that as she has got 1 to several kids and that we should all not be drawn into the Right Wing stereotyping of drug dealers. She will then be given some decent social housing, copious amounts of state handouts, and maybe even a book deal, (ghost written of course-probably by some "Right-On" Guardian journalist!). :banghead: :evil: :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:They won't execute her. The process will follow the usual pattern-Bluster from their Government, followed by a tearful interview from her in which she blames some bloke for it all. She will then be extradited back to the U.K. to "serve" a short sentence in an open prison, or maybe even a non-custodial one if she can get some Liberal M.P. to advocate that as she has got 1 to several kids and that we should all not be drawn into the Right Wing stereotyping of drug dealers. She will then be given some decent social housing, copious amounts of state handouts, and maybe even a book deal, (ghost written of course-probably by some "Right-On" Guardian journalist!). :banghead: :evil: :roll:
Fantastic. 8) Your level of cynicism makes me wonder if we are long lost kindred spirits, mate! :lol:

In Oireland, if you beat a 75 year old woman into a coma (preferably with a hammer) you can have your lawyer whine like a bitch about your "hard upbringing and drug/drink addictions" and you will be handed a nice 2 year suspended sentence so you can "get help" with your problems. The judge will even helpfully ignore the fact this is your 98th conviction (72nd for violent assault).

Don't pay your TV licence or taxes though? Custodial sentence for you, ya dirty bastard. :|

There is no justice. Just us. 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:They won't execute her. The process will follow the usual pattern-Bluster from their Government, followed by a tearful interview from her in which she blames some bloke for it all. She will then be extradited back to the U.K. to "serve" a short sentence in an open prison, or maybe even a non-custodial one if she can get some Liberal M.P. to advocate that as she has got 1 to several kids and that we should all not be drawn into the Right Wing stereotyping of drug dealers. She will then be given some decent social housing, copious amounts of state handouts, and maybe even a book deal, (ghost written of course-probably by some "Right-On" Guardian journalist!). :banghead: :evil: :roll:
Fantastic. 8) Your level of cynicism makes me wonder if we are long lost kindred spirits, mate! :lol:

In Oireland, if you beat a 75 year old woman into a coma (preferably with a hammer) you can have your lawyer whine like a bitch about your "hard upbringing and drug/drink addictions" and you will be handed a nice 2 year suspended sentence so you can "get help" with your problems. The judge will even helpfully ignore the fact this is your 98th conviction (72nd for violent assault).

Don't pay your TV licence or taxes though? Custodial sentence for you, ya dirty bastard. :|

I buy the weekly local newspaper for the area of Dublin I live in...I could write the court reports because they are so repetitive. Defending Solicitor says " my client is a recovering (insert addiction) and hopes to do a computer course, a conviction at this time would diminish his chances of employment. The defendant had 203 previous convictions.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I buy the weekly local newspaper for the area of Dublin I live in...I could write the court reports because they are so repetitive. Defending Solicitor says " my client is a recovering (insert addiction) and hopes to do a computer course, a conviction at this time would diminish his chances of employment. The defendant had 203 previous convictions.
You must be familiar with the "work" of Judge Mary Ellen Ring then, BWK. This stupid bitch once put a mother of two in prison for not paying a fine on time. Then in the next breath freed a scumbag on bail "to get his addictions treated" after said scumbag had kicked and beaten a wheelchair bound pensioner all over the road. Said scumbag of course came complete with the de rigueur 200+ previous convictions, including bottling a Spanish student "for a laugh" that left the Spanish kid with permanent scars. :twisted: