Happy Saint Georges Day

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
corkbarry

Happy Saint Georges Day

Post by corkbarry »

Now lads don't go wild celebrating your National Saints day, i spoon of sugar is enough :D

Rugby Gooner

Re: Happy Saint Georges Day

Post by Rugby Gooner »

I for one won't be celebrating. It is racist just to BE English these days.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

The Pogues and Guiness make St.Paddy's a day worth celebrating, but celebrating a mythical saint who killed a dragon (he may have exagerated his exploits a bit) when we've ignored it for centuries seems a bit forced.

Let's celebrate in a truly English way and not make a fuss.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TBH honest I'm not into the whole celebrate the national saint day thing (in Dublin it's become a messy day/night of drunken fights) but I find it a bit sad that in England you are considered racist or xenophobic if you choose to celebrate it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with national pride once it doesn't spill over into xenophobia.

You English seem to me to be even more negative about your country than we Oirish are about ours (and that's no mean feat! :lol: ). And that too is a shame as your country has given the world some fantastic inventions/culture/music/film/comedy/literature etc.

And most importantly, The Arsenal. 8)

Anyway - Happy St George's Day! :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Rugby Gooner wrote:I for one won't be celebrating. It is racist just to BE English these days.
Think I know what you mean, sad to say it but it is political correctness gone mad. It is like Christians being told not to use the word Christmas for fear of upsetting other religions.
The whole St Patrick's Day thing is a bit nauseating here, walked through Dublin City centre at 10am on March 17th and found it too Americanised, walked back through it at 5.30pm and found it threatening and sinister .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:I for one won't be celebrating. It is racist just to BE English these days.
Think I know what you mean, sad to say it but it is political correctness gone mad. It is like Christians being told not to use the word Christmas for fear of upsetting other religions.
The whole St Patrick's Day thing is a bit nauseating here, walked through Dublin City centre at 10am on March 17th and found it too Americanised, walked back through it at 5.30pm and found it threatening and sinister .
Very accurate description of Paddy's Day in Dublin, unfortunately. :(