Howard Kendall RIP

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Nos89

Howard Kendall RIP

Post by Nos89 »

I believe that had it not been down to the success of Howard Kendall at Everton, being the first manager in top flight football to win the league at the same club as a player and manager, Arsenal would not have taken the chance and appointed George Graham in 1986. Graham had never managed in the top flight and looked to be a risk but he was an Arsenal man through and through as Howard was at Everton, and Graham emulated Howards success at Arsenal. He was a good guy too, met him a few times. Condolences go to his family.

gp543

Re: Howard Kendall RIP

Post by gp543 »

Finally, someone the Victims won't claim as one of their own.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

I'll always have a soft spot for Howard Kendall because without his title winning team, my mum wouldn't have done the most ridiculous (but well intentioned) thing I remember from my childhood. :lol:

My brother used to have a red and white Arsenal bag that he took to school every day. Now, being from oop north, most of the people we knocked around with supported Liverpool and Everton (United fans started turning up en masse in 1993 for some reason :rubchin: .... followed by Blackburn fans in 1995 although they've mysteriously disappeared now :roll: )

Anyway, with Everton crowned champions, mum thought it would help my brother get on better with his Everton mates if she altered his Arsenal bag a little :o .... so she used a black marker pen and blocked out the word "Arsenal" and put a large X through the cannon on the sides :shock: and in block writing, wrote EVERTON on the front, back and side of the bag :lol:

Mum genuinely thought this would help my brother at school - however, not surprisingly, he looked like a twat and got the piss taken out of him for ages. :lol:

We've still got that bag in the attic if anyone wants to buy it? :D

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

RIP

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

RIP

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

gp543 wrote:Finally, someone the Victims won't claim as one of their own.
Ridiculous comment :roll:

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

RIP

wibble

Post by wibble »

g88ner wrote:I'll always have a soft spot for Howard Kendall because without his title winning team, my mum wouldn't have done the most ridiculous (but well intentioned) thing I remember from my childhood. :lol:

My brother used to have a red and white Arsenal bag that he took to school every day. Now, being from oop north, most of the people we knocked around with supported Liverpool and Everton (United fans started turning up en masse in 1993 for some reason :rubchin: .... followed by Blackburn fans in 1995 although they've mysteriously disappeared now :roll: )

Anyway, with Everton crowned champions, mum thought it would help my brother get on better with his Everton mates if she altered his Arsenal bag a little :o .... so she used a black marker pen and blocked out the word "Arsenal" and put a large X through the cannon on the sides :shock: and in block writing, wrote EVERTON on the front, back and side of the bag :lol:

Mum genuinely thought this would help my brother at school - however, not surprisingly, he looked like a twat and got the piss taken out of him for ages. :lol:

You should have got your sewing machine out and stitched the arsenal badge back over it!

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

wibble wrote:
g88ner wrote:I'll always have a soft spot for Howard Kendall because without his title winning team, my mum wouldn't have done the most ridiculous (but well intentioned) thing I remember from my childhood. :lol:

You should have got your sewing machine out and stitched the arsenal badge back over it!
maybe I did :D

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

His first stint in charge of Everton was their best side (at least that I can remember) and they were robbed of their place in Europe by their neighbours scumbag fans.

RIP.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Drove past Goodison Park today and they've turned the 6 large advertising boards at the front of the stadium into tributes to Howard Kendall with 6 images of his successes as a player and a manager. They look fantastic and what a brilliant way to pay tribute to a club legend. Well played Everton. Can't imagine Arsenal doing the same.