Facebook

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
storrmin571

Facebook

Post by storrmin571 »

My boss wants me to set up a Facebook page for myself. I have for years refused to do it. After 20 years on watch Im moving on and will be doing other stuff for the job in a new team, they want to keep in touch whilst the teams are being set up so the best way is Facebook. I am resisting so far.

Any thoughts from esteemed comrades like DB10, OBG and Reb will be duly considered, laughed at and ignored. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Re: Facebook

Post by OneBardGooner »

Probably not much help I know mate, but just say "No" (ie: fuckoff) facebook is for Ego's nowt else....Twitter is bad enough... I mena just look at McD !? :roll: :lol:

There are other ways to stay in touch with ex-team mates etc surely. Monthly piss up etc...and far more fun ! :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

I registered on facebook a few years ago but I never go on it - for me it is too full of empty braindead fools posting the most mundane shit about their life :roll: I don't give a shit if someone's baby is getting their first tooth, and I don't care about their exploits last night and about how wasted they all got :oops: :oops: What ever happened to the concept of actually talking to someone ? I know that there is an irony me saying that whilst posting on an internet forum, but I can communicate with people face to face most of the time but I honestly feel that young people have no clue how to communicate and interact with other people face to face :roll:
I keep getting emails from facebook telling me that I have a load of friend requests waiting for me - if I actually gave a shite about it, then they wouldn't have had to email me in the first place :lol: :lol:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

augie[b] wrote:I registered on facebook a few years ago but I never go on it - for me it is too full of empty braindead fools posting the most mundane shit about their life :roll: I don't give a shit if someone's baby is getting their first tooth, and I don't care about their exploits last night and about how wasted they all got [/b]:oops: :oops: What ever happened to the concept of actually talking to someone ? I know that there is an irony me saying that whilst posting on an internet forum, but I can communicate with people face to face most of the time but I honestly feel that young people have no clue how to communicate and interact with other people face to face :roll:
I keep getting emails from facebook telling me that I have a load of friend requests waiting for me - if I actually gave a shite about it, then they wouldn't have had to email me in the first place :lol: :lol:
This entirely. I signed on but was very soon fed up with all the vomit inducing, trite, cloyingly sentimental poems and photos of peoples lunches. Technology is wasted on crap like this.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Facebook a load of shite. You have 3 types on your friend lists.

1) People you work with. So you see and speak to them everyday. On Monday there is no point asking them if they had a good weekend. Because you can see all their shitty fucking photos and comments on what they did on Saturday night

2) Family Members, like Uncle's, Auntie's, Cousins again who you see once a year if your lucky and you don't give a shit about them or their fucking horrible kids. How many times do i need to see your kids at the park or eating a fucking ice cream.

3) Old school friends/enemies. Who you haven't seen for over 20 years. And remember that they were the fuckers who bullied and treated you like shit. Now they want to be your friends on FB. Or you find they have got a decent a career. Whilst your career is pretty dull and shit.

The only good thing about FB. is you don't have to send Birthday Cards or Christmas Cards So save a small fortune on stamps. So much nicer saying Happy Birthday Mum, followed by a love heart and a smiley.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Facebook is a load of bollix, it is a way for people to display poor judgement, poor grammar and poor spelling skills. I was on it for a while but deactivated my page as I like others have said here have no interest in people's personal life or their views on politics. I have no interest in reading plastic fans of any team in any sport giving it large on the good days.
I once had an ongoing and bitter legal battle with a former employer, a well meaning but ultimately stupid in-law made a derogatory comment about said former employer on Facebook. In fact it was a comment in response to a comment made by the employer on their page. It could have destroyed my case and left my in law open to libel. All because of a platform that offers the chance for the unintelligent to speak and sadly they take it. Obviously not all Facebook is like that but a lot of it is mundane.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

My daughter joined Facebook when she was 13 and immediately felt bad because, three minutes after joining, she had no 'friends', so she persuaded me to join so I could 'friend' her.

Five years later I hadn't checked it once, but in July lots of her friends posted graduation pictures which I wanted to see.

I was staggered by the quantity of 'people I might know' and friend requests, so I set about left click right click left click right click, deleting them all.
However, an unexpected pause in the laptop meant that I accidently sent a friend request to one of the people on the list. Despite the fact that we'd never met, didn't know each other and didn't even know how we were on the list, she immediately accepted my request. I found it sad and scary.

I can't understand why people want to let the world know what mundane shit they've been up to.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

GranadaJoe wrote: However, an unexpected pause in the laptop meant that I accidently sent a friend request to one of the people on the list. Despite the fact that we'd never met, didn't know each other and didn't even know how we were on the list, she immediately accepted my request. I found it sad and scary.
What's she like?

:D

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Pros: Bikini pics.

Cons: Everything else.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm not a fan of Facebook. I'm connected to a few family members and classmates that never contact me anyway. I did mainly use it for a time to comment on pages to do with football and podcasts, etc. Nothing worth doing on it now.
storrmin571 wrote:My boss wants me to set up a Facebook page for myself. I have for years refused to do it. After 20 years on watch Im moving on and will be doing other stuff for the job in a new team, they want to keep in touch whilst the teams are being set up so the best way is Facebook. I am resisting so far.

Any thoughts from esteemed comrades like DB10, OBG and Reb will be duly considered, laughed at and ignored. :lol:
What's wrong with using e-mail anyway? If you want to stay off Facebook, more power to you.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

storrmin571 wrote:My boss wants me to set up a Facebook page for myself. I have for years refused to do it. After 20 years on watch Im moving on and will be doing other stuff for the job in a new team, they want to keep in touch whilst the teams are being set up so the best way is Facebook. I am resisting so far.

Give them your mobile and they can call or text you to keep in touch.

BTW I am on facebook, but don't post much as I dont feel the need to tell people what I had for tea.

I do find it useful to keep in touch with guys from my old football teams, old work colleague etc who were friends of mine in the days pre mobile phones.

REB

Post by REB »

i only post on facebook when im drunk . good for keeping in touch with family but other then that i dont bother much with it.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Dont have a fakebook account. Never have.
Never will.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I opened a page when it first started but grew bored and gave up on it after a couple of months. I should probably just delete it as I just don't look at it. Facebook (and Twatter) is responsible for the dumbing down of modern culture. Full of vacuous cúnts that now have an opinion on everything and an audience to aim their shite at. :roll:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote: Full of vacuous cúnts that now have an opinion on everything and an audience to aim their shite at. :roll:
:rubchin: :shock: :lol: