The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

DB10GOONER

Re: EU referendum - I told you so thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04566.html

growing by the day...
:popcorn:
Damn you Rob i thought that was a story about fighting in supermarkets :x
It's like that old disco song by Carl Douglas;

"Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
Under supermarket lighting
In Lidl, it was a little bit frightening
But they fought with Tesco timing
"

:dancingbanana: :D

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

That opinion survey is a total joke. Only fifteen hundred people were asked their opinion. We don't even know what questions they were asked, or how they were phrased :roll:

Equally laughable is the piece in the Guardian which offers the opinion of some American economist.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the Austrian government has just told the EU that they won't pay a single Euro extra into the EU budget to plug the massive hole when U.K. contributions stop.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

olgitgooner wrote:That opinion survey is a total joke. Only fifteen hundred people were asked their opinion. We don't even know what questions they were asked, or how they were phrased :roll:

Equally laughable is the piece in the Guardian which offers the opinion of some American economist.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the Austrian government has just told the EU that they won't pay a single Euro extra into the EU budget to plug the massive hole when U.K. contributions stop.

fair enough, I prefer to deal with facts anyway.
the fact is that the UK is the only country in Europe which has been stupid enough to vote to leave the EU and the only country which is likely to do so.

I do hope that you are enjoying your increased standard of living as a result of it though.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:That opinion survey is a total joke. Only fifteen hundred people were asked their opinion. We don't even know what questions they were asked, or how they were phrased :roll:

fair enough, I prefer to deal with facts anyway.
the fact is that the UK is the only country in Europe which has been stupid enough to vote to leave the EU and the only country which is likely to do so.

I do hope that you are enjoying your increased standard of living as a result of it though.
Blimey Rob you talk some shite not facts...... We arent even out of it yet so how can things be better or worse? and it hasnt been proven to be stupid to leave the EU yet either for the same reasons :banghead: What FACTS have you mentioned there?

Stick to scaremongering about supermarkets :lol:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Let me see Rob, which other nation has been decent enough to give their inhabitants the chance to vote on this.... :rubchin:

Austria nope
France just about voted yes to the Maasstrict treaty in 1992 but then voted against an EU treaty by 55% in 2005
Germany nope
Denmark well they voted against the Maastrict treaty but re-voted till they voted yes
Luxemburg nope
Belgium nope
Spain nope
Greece nope (But we know what they would say)
Italy nope
Netherlands Voted against by 61% iat the same time as the French in 2005
Portugal nope
Ireland was going to vote in 2005 but as the French & Dutch voted against they didnt bother :wink:
Sweden nope
Finland nope

Some of the tinpotters coming in may have voted to come in as we once did to a different organisation, but its a great organisation that wont let its member states ask their people if they like what they have isnt it :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Rob :-[ You say that Macron's position is clear and you are quite right. His position is to do whatever George Soros and the Rothschilds tell him to. They are his backers they are the manipulators looking after their own interests. Just as Gina Miller is being backed by Richard Branson , Macron is the poodle of the E.U and the business people that are following the self interest path of multi millionaires that have been running Europe for their own ends since the end of the second world war.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

as I have said before I am no great fan of the EU - I would rather wave a British flag rather than a EU one.

the thing is though that the UK is much better off INSIDE the EU than outside of it.

1) there is no way that the EU will allow the UK to have a better deal than them. why would they?
Depsite the right wing propaganda I think you will find that 27 countries together have much more power than an isolated UK trying to do a deal.

2) Donald Trump has now said that he would do a deal with the EU before one with the UK in the post Brexit world

3) Brexiteers hark back to a bygone less globalised world and don't see how the world has moved on.
This is why Brexit has great support amongst the elderly. It is hardly something that is going to last long though as the country realises its mistake and the very people that voted for Brexit begin to die out.

the trouble is getting back into the EU will not be easy and we might have to lose the benefits that we currently enjoy.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

An awful lot of presumptions there Rob.

Nobody can possibly state, as fact, that we are better off in the EU than outside it. The opposite view would be that the EU is holding back free trade with the rest of the world. And is also charging us an awful lot of money to stay in a closed protectionist trading zone. A zone which has seen its share of the world economy shrinking year on year. Despite the large increase in member nations. And in population.

There are many lessons to be learned from history. Empires rise and then, inevitably, fall. No single central body is capable of successfully ruling a vast region of people with different expections, cultures and outlooks.

You think the EU is the way forward. I think it's doomed.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Rob do you never think that possibly globalisation is one of the major causes of all the strife around the world currently, something is seriously wrong with the world at the moment and i'm sorry but Brexit is a symptom along with Trump's Presidential victory and Le Pens popularity, they are not the cause.

As for the rest of it, it's definitely not as cut and dried as the liberal press make out!

Until the socio-political elite start asking why people are so pissed off we are going to continue in a destructive downward spiral and the way things are heading across Europe at the moment i'd rather be an isolated island off the coast than slap bang in the middle of the shit hitting the fan. So many many people across Europe are upset with their governments there may eventually be social insurrection, especially with the additional demands being made on some countries by Fuhrer Merkel and her lapdog Juncker, if that happens the EU will be in serious trouble.

Not sure whether people are aware but a couple of Germans were arrested yesterday for stock piling weapons and explosives, one of them an army officer. An isolated incident for the moment but will this sort of thing continue to be?

We are very lucky here in the UK, most can live in blissful ignorance of whats really happening in the rest of Europe, but rather than reading the British press which is very liberal biased or raving pro-right wing you need to start reading local European press from other countries to get a real impression of how the situation is elsewhere. It's not all as rosy as the Guardian, the BBC etc like to make it out to be :roll:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

If the E U had stuck to the principles that were originally sold to us,where everyone rubbed shoulders and happily traded together there really wasn't a problem. However there was a hidden agenda of politcal union and globalisation which was not explained or understood.
You only need to talk to other people from other countries and you hear the same concerns as are being voiced privately over here. Europe's population is being split some for some against but don't expect the mainstream media to either report or discuss it.Even our BBC receives subsidies from Brussels and the gravy train is too lucrative for the people who run the whole thing to get off. You cite the example from Germany ,more worrying for me is the corruption.Look up Marta Andreasen and what happened to her after she sent a report to Neil Kinnock.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

You guys are fucking hilarious :coffeespit: :D :barscarf:

MrT

Post by MrT »

arseofacrow wrote:You guys are fucking hilarious :coffeespit: :D :barscarf:
Not sure why you're laughing fella. Your country is up shits creek thanks to Merkel.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

You guys are fucking hilarious :coffeespit: :D :barscarf:

Glad your happy ! No doubt you will vote for the Ostrich party.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I see that the EU are starting to get tough with the UK as I have predicted all along.

Just a question of how long it takes for the leavers to change their mind. I am sure most will as it becomes obvious how completely stuffed the UK is going to be.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Still remains though as much as they wish to bully at the outset we still have a trade deficit where we sell less to them than they to us.
The value of trade to the UK and the rest of the EU—we exported about £230 billion worth of goods and services to the rest of the EU in 2015, according to UK data, while the rest of the EU exported somewhere around £290 billion to us. These figures differ if you use EU data. What this means is that the rest of the EU sells more to us than we sell to it.
Now bear in mind that some of the £230 billion goes through Rotterdam and counts in the figure although the goods are in fact going elsewhere and not staying in the E.U . So in fact the gap is wider.
The politicians can be as hard as they like , they can take their stance but as soon as their major businesses see things turning against them the attitude will change .
Don't panic chaps the negotiations are just beginning.
We are unique in the motor industry and VW , BMW , Mercedes, Opel , Renault , Citroen , Peugeot etc have special production lines specifically to cater for right hand drive cars , they will be loathe to close that business down , the waste of machinery and manpower will have a bad effect on all their bottom lines. Eventually they will bring pressure on their politicians to alter their stance.
It is a business deal if both parties wish it , there will be a settlement with give and take both ways. If one party doesn't wish to make compromise then we walk away and let those companies badly affected find away to retain their market shares.