The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

flash gunner

Re: EU referendum - Official Worst Thread Ever

Post by flash gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:"In order to get to the rainbow you must be able to deal with the rain.”

And who said that?
:lol: :lol:

Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.

:lol: :wink:

:high5: :lol: :lol: :lol:

quite appropriate for when Brexit goes tits up :D :lol: :lol:
Read the quote again Rob :lol:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:Opinions, opinions, opinions.

But it would appear that about two thirds of people now support Brexit. This shift might be because people accept they were mislead by Project Fear which warned of an immediate recession if we voted leave. This shift may be because Junker and his cronies have shown themselves to be self interested cockwombles. Their behaviour has been nothing short of disgraceful. This shift may be due to people's inherent belief in democracy. I would guess the shift is due to all three factors. But that's just my opinion. :)
http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/27/more-peop ... t-6600264/ :roll:
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/12/fo ... ign=brexit :roll:
what are you trying to prove?
that there are even more stupid people in the country than last year?
Nope. I'm actually proving that there are more people than last year who disagree with your stupid opinion.

olgitgooner

Re: EU referendum - I told you so thread

Post by olgitgooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:I'm surprised that there is so much interest in other countries - I thought that the point of the Brexiters was to bury their heads in the sand and just concentrate on the UK.

anyway the good news is that as I predicted we are all getting poorer
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 31336.html

:barscarf: :barscarf:
Wow! Dire warnings from the Bank of England! They couldn't possibly have got it wrong again? Could they?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... edictions/

:twisted:
"Michael Fish moment" :lol:
Andy Haldane is the biggest fuckwit in the Bank of England, this is the same man who doesnt understand that his own gold plated pension is worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pounds.

With regards to the economics, there usually is a lagging effect on the economy. The initial effects have been the pound weakening and inflation rising, this has a direct impact on our standards of living especially as it has been documented recently that earnings are not keeping up with inflation. The pound has strengthened recently from a relatively weak base but its still a good 20/30% below where it has been over the last 5 years, that is not healthy for our economy.

Unemployment again is a lagging indicator, one of the consequences of higher inflation is people stop spending money. That hasn't been seen yet, but lets see how the brexit negotiations go before we start saying we are out of the woods, there is a recession overdue in this country now and I genuinely believe that the next downturn will be more severe than it needs to be because of Brexit.

I have mentioned on several occasions that banks will leave the city of London, taking jobs either into mainland Europe or other financial centres. That was dismissed by this forum, but its been announced and is happening as we speak. Even a few hundred jobs in each bank, amounts to hundreds of millions of pounds in lost taxation revenue.
Hiya Nutty. Unemployment rates are THE biggest indicator of economic health. You should already know this. Never mind if, buts and maybes.

My opinion is that the UK economy will boom when we are outside of the constrictive protectionist bubble of the EU. I also think that London will continue to be the the biggest financial hub in Europe. You can't prove that my opinion is wrong. Don't bother trying.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

olgitgooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:I'm surprised that there is so much interest in other countries - I thought that the point of the Brexiters was to bury their heads in the sand and just concentrate on the UK.

anyway the good news is that as I predicted we are all getting poorer
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 31336.html

:barscarf: :barscarf:
Wow! Dire warnings from the Bank of England! They couldn't possibly have got it wrong again? Could they?

Andy Haldane is the biggest fuckwit in the Bank of England, this is the same man who doesnt understand that his own gold plated pension is worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pounds.

With regards to the economics, there usually is a lagging effect on the economy. The initial effects have been the pound weakening and inflation rising, this has a direct impact on our standards of living especially as it has been documented recently that earnings are not keeping up with inflation. The pound has strengthened recently from a relatively weak base but its still a good 20/30% below where it has been over the last 5 years, that is not healthy for our economy.

Unemployment again is a lagging indicator, one of the consequences of higher inflation is people stop spending money. That hasn't been seen yet, but lets see how the brexit negotiations go before we start saying we are out of the woods, there is a recession overdue in this country now and I genuinely believe that the next downturn will be more severe than it needs to be because of Brexit.

I have mentioned on several occasions that banks will leave the city of London, taking jobs either into mainland Europe or other financial centres. That was dismissed by this forum, but its been announced and is happening as we speak. Even a few hundred jobs in each bank, amounts to hundreds of millions of pounds in lost taxation revenue.
Hiya Nutty. Unemployment rates are THE biggest indicator of economic health. You should already know this. Never mind if, buts and maybes.

My opinion is that the UK economy will boom when we are outside of the constrictive protectionist bubble of the EU. I also think that London will continue to be the the biggest financial hub in Europe. You can't prove that my opinion is wrong. Don't bother trying.
Hi mate, how exactly do you define unemployment though these days? If there are 4 million people on zero hours contracts for example, and they earn only just enough to sustain themselves and don't qualify for social security, then how can you compare that for example with when there was 1 in 10 people out of work during the 80s? To say unemployment is the main factor in determining the health of an economy is wrong, and naive in my opinion. GDP is a far more robust indicator as is the impact of inflation on real terms disposal income. So if inflation spikes as it has done since the referendum, and wages do not keep up we are all worse off.

Have you ever worked in the square mile? Under what premise do you make that statement.

For the record I never said that London wouldn't continue to be a major world hub for financial services let alone European. But my point is, there are jobs currently done in London for example relating to euro clearing that would be lost. And we are talking about tens of thousands here. Losing that number of jobs would definitely cause a contraction in the contribution the square mile makes to the economy. There is no doubt about that. So how would we compensate for this, make more cars in Sunderland perhaps ;).

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

nut flush gooner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:

Hi mate, how exactly do you define unemployment though these days? If there are 4 million people on zero hours contracts for example, and they earn only just enough to sustain themselves and don't qualify for social security, then how can you compare that for example with when there was 1 in 10 people out of work during the 80s? To say unemployment is the main factor in determining the health of an economy is wrong, and naive in my opinion. GDP is a far more robust indicator as is the impact of inflation on real terms disposal income. So if inflation spikes as it has done since the referendum, and wages do not keep up we are all worse off.

Have you ever worked in the square mile? Under what premise do you make that statement.

For the record I never said that London wouldn't continue to be a major world hub for financial services let alone European. But my point is, there are jobs currently done in London for example relating to euro clearing that would be lost. And we are talking about tens of thousands here. Losing that number of jobs would definitely cause a contraction in the contribution the square mile makes to the economy. There is no doubt about that. So how would we compensate for this, make more cars in Sunderland perhaps ;).
oh great everyones fave poster is back. i agree with olgit and i do work in the city (Not that it matters a jot, apart from you waiting for him to say that he doesnt (i dont know if he does or not but no your style), so you can then come out, with well i used to... as if that makes your opinion any more valid.

back track back track. talk down to people, then go away for a bit when everypone calls you out. come back, rinse and repeat.

nut flush gooner

the playing mantis wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

oh great everyones fave poster is back. i agree with olgit and i do work in the city (Not that it matters a jot, apart from you waiting for him to say that he doesnt (i dont know if he does or not but no your style), so you can then come out, with well i used to... as if that makes your opinion any more valid.

back track back track. talk down to people, then go away for a bit when everypone calls you out. come back, rinse and repeat.
If you follow what I said in a few other posts, and it's not hard to I was in hospital for a week at the end of April after progressively getting more sick/ill over a 4-5 week period. Thankfully I responded to high dosages of both steroids and anti-biotics (I developed a secondary infection) over that period, had I not I probably wouldn't be here now. I was watching the spuds game on a hospital wifi connection, with a intravenous drip feeding all sorts of high dosage drugs into my body. Thanks for your concern though.

You say you work in the City, what do you do then? Because as long as I am fit I will debate the EU referendum with you until the day I pop my clogs whether that is next week, or in 30 years time.

PS I have never known anyone in the City, who doesn't use capital letters to start sentences. Just saying ;).

the playing mantis

nut flush gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

If you follow what I said in a few other posts, and it's not hard to I was in hospital for a week at the end of April after progressively getting more sick/ill over a 4-5 week period. Thankfully I responded to high dosages of both steroids and anti-biotics (I developed a secondary infection) over that period, had I not I probably wouldn't be here now. I was watching the spuds game on a hospital wifi connection, with a intravenous drip feeding all sorts of high dosage drugs into my body. Thanks for your concern though.

You say you work in the City, what do you do then? Because as long as I am fit I will debate the EU referendum with you until the day I pop my clogs whether that is next week, or in 30 years time.

PS I have never known anyone in the City, who doesn't use capital letters to start sentences. Just saying ;).
what does it matter what i do in the city? its completley irrelevant if i was a cleaner or an MD.

we are posting on a informal interent forum, syntax and grammar as long as its legible (and as long as paragraphs, augie) are irrelevant. you must know everyone in the city then i guess to voice the capital letter point, jeez...

why would i be concerned about something that i do not know about? im glad your not dead and better, and you could say im a wellwisher, in that I don't wish you any specific harm.

i still object to your superiority complex that anyone who disagrees with you is a moron.

nut flush gooner

nut flush gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:

what does it matter what i do in the city? its completley irrelevant if i was a cleaner or an MD.

we are posting on a informal interent forum, syntax and grammar as long as its legible (and as long as paragraphs, augie) are irrelevant. you must know everyone in the city then i guess to voice the capital letter point, jeez...

why would i be concerned about something that i do not know about? im glad your not dead and better, and you could say im a wellwisher, in that I don't wish you any specific harm.

i still object to your superiority complex that anyone who disagrees with you is a moron.
It does matter, because a comfortably more than 65% of the people who work in the city voted to remain. In the IFA sector, an area that I have worked in the past it's nearer 70%. So that would suggest that your peers/colleagues have differing opinions to you. Given that so many people could see the pitfalls of leaving the EU and the impact it would have on their businesses, why has that not hit home with you?

And what you do is relevant, because if you work in a post room you are likely to have a different opinion than if you are in the boardroom.

the playing mantis

nut flush gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

It does matter, because a comfortably more than 65% of the people who work in the city voted to remain. In the IFA sector, an area that I have worked in the past it's nearer 70%. So that would suggest that your peers/colleagues have differing opinions to you. Given that so many people could see the pitfalls of leaving the EU and the impact it would have on their businesses, why has that not hit home with you?

And what you do is relevant, because if you work in a post room you are likely to have a different opinion than if you are in the boardroom.
ifa...works in city

nut flush gooner

nut flush gooner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

ifa...works in city
You are an IFA, or are you suggesting there isn't a large presence of IFA's in the City?

nut flush gooner

Brexit has caused a sharp decline in the pound versus other currencies. We have already seen after a modest recovery that the narrowing of the Conservative lead in the election polls, the pound has come under further pressure.

So I have said umpteen times a weak currency means a weak economy, well those price rises are affecting consumer confidence now. Let's see if this is an ongoing trend, it's too early to tell but should be a concern.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-services

MrT

Post by MrT »

nut flush gooner wrote:Brexit has caused a sharp decline in the pound versus other currencies. We have already seen after a modest recovery that the narrowing of the Conservative lead in the election polls, the pound has come under further pressure.

So I have said umpteen times a weak currency means a weak economy, well those price rises are affecting consumer confidence now. Let's see if this is an ongoing trend, it's too early to tell but should be a concern.

PRO-EU FT ADMITS INVESTMENT FLOWING IN BREXIT BRITAIN

http://www.westmonster.com/pro-eu-ft-ad ... t-britain/

As the FT admit themselves, those clever economists all lined up to predict a decline in investment.
“But the effect has been more muted than expected” the FT now openly say, citing figures that show an increase in total investment of 0.5% in 2016 and business investment increasing by 0.8% at the start of 2017.

Foreign direct investment jumped in 2016, up £33 billion from the previous year, whilst the country is welcoming a record number of tourists to our shores.

The FT’s Editor Lionel Barber may have been awarded France’s highest honour but we very much doubt the British public are as enthusiastic about the FT’s rabidly pro-Brussels stance over the years. Wrong side of history springs to mind.

nut flush gooner

MrT wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:Brexit has caused a sharp decline in the pound versus other currencies. We have already seen after a modest recovery that the narrowing of the Conservative lead in the election polls, the pound has come under further pressure.

PRO-EU FT ADMITS INVESTMENT FLOWING IN BREXIT BRITAIN

http://www.westmonster.com/pro-eu-ft-ad ... t-britain/

As the FT admit themselves, those clever economists all lined up to predict a decline in investment.
“But the effect has been more muted than expected” the FT now openly say, citing figures that show an increase in total investment of 0.5% in 2016 and business investment increasing by 0.8% at the start of 2017.

Foreign direct investment jumped in 2016, up £33 billion from the previous year, whilst the country is welcoming a record number of tourists to our shores.

The FT’s Editor Lionel Barber may have been awarded France’s highest honour but we very much doubt the British public are as enthusiastic about the FT’s rabidly pro-Brussels stance over the years. Wrong side of history springs to mind.
That was 2016, you can't just post a link that says something without looking at trends. One year is not a trend. I would suggest analysis 3 years before the referendum and 3 years after to get more of an indication if Brexit has affected FDI into the U.K. The article doesn't really say anything apart from economists got it wrong, well we don't know yet because we haven't exited the EU yet!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Fuck me this thread is as tedious as the Wenger one :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:Fuck me this thread is as tedious as the Wenger one :banghead:
I see what you did there... :lol: :wink: