The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Brightonnxtround

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Brightonnxtround »

Ringos right let's just get on with it .......... :D :D

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 am
Bloke down the pub said it. Must be true. :lol: :wink:
:lol: nothing like a nice link from a for or against leaning newspaper or website to back up your argument

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 am
Bloke down the pub said it. Must be true. :lol: :wink:
:lol: nothing like a nice link from a for or against leaning newspaper or website to back up your argument
:lol:

Always worked for me! :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I think the quotes in this article sum everything up really

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit- ... ry-7858891

"this row is about the future versus the past. The Brexiteers somehow think we are going to go sailing off into some glorious imperial world without realising that in the modern age we are interdependent"

However, the most revealing, and damning take was this one:

"We are stuck in a ‘damned if we do, damned if we don’t’ bind. If we try to cancel exit we destroy ourselves; if we go ahead with it we destroy the country"

"People voted for a fantasy"

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

HaHa we are even struggling to renegotiate deals with Canada

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 51761.html

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Out of interest Rob does Junckers state of the union address last week not concern you in the slightest? :rubchin:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:01 pm
Out of interest Rob does Junckers state of the union address last week not concern you in the slightest? :rubchin:
At least it must be a relief to all Europhiles that there is still 18 months to go during which they are free to go and live in one of nearly 30 countries that will let them remain subjects of the Brussels elite.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
well yes I think everyone should be concerned that the EU already view the UK as an irrelevance.
the consequences if we should finally leave don't bear thinking about.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Red Snapper wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
At least it must be a relief to all Europhiles that there is still 18 months to go during which they are free to go and live in one of nearly 30 countries that will let them remain subjects of the Brussels elite.
as I have said before I am not a big fan of the EU, and don't really like a lot of the countries in it, especially the french.
I am patriotic and so don't want to live anywhere other than England. However we have got to be in the EU to maintain what little power and influence we have in the world.

look at it like this - imagine the EU like a class at school, a class of 28 countries. the UK is one of the bigger lads, a real hard case who doesnt always want to follow all the rules. And so the other 27, mostly smaller, weaker kids let him get away with stuff, like not joining the Euro.

then imagine that the UK decides to leave this class, to try and fit in with other classes, but they dont really want to know.
meanwhile the other 27 kids realise that they have more power now that the UK has left, and gang up on him, bully him so he is left a pathetic, weaker version of what he used to be....

Welcome to the future of the UK :roll:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 am
Red Snapper wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
as I have said before I am not a big fan of the EU, and don't really like a lot of the countries in it, especially the french.
I am patriotic and so don't want to live anywhere other than England. However we have got to be in the EU to maintain what little power and influence we have in the world.

look at it like this - imagine the EU like a class at school, a class of 28 countries. the UK is one of the bigger lads, a real hard case who doesnt always want to follow all the rules. And so the other 27, mostly smaller, weaker kids let him get away with stuff, like not joining the Euro.

then imagine that the UK decides to leave this class, to try and fit in with other classes, but they dont really want to know.
meanwhile the other 27 kids realise that they have more power now that the UK has left, and gang up on him, bully him so he is left a pathetic, weaker version of what he used to be....

Welcome to the future of the UK :roll:
Do you not just fear change? Personally I struggle with the idea or paying 11-12bn for the priviledge of trading with Europe. Why can't with just setup our own trade deal like we do with non-EU countries.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nick - you should read this article to see how difficult that it will be
https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-372 ... 23f8c0fd2e

sadly the author got killed by a crocodile last week (and no that is not a joke)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... s-11176776

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am
Nick - you should read this article to see how difficult that it will be
https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-372 ... 23f8c0fd2e

sadly the author got killed by a crocodile last week (and no that is not a joke)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... s-11176776
So what is the answer, we just pay whatever they want so we don't have to do anything?
Currently we pay,I believe, 11bn what happens if it is increased back to18bn (which is was before rebates). We just pay because it's less hassle than actual negotiating individually?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Rob,you obviously read the FT and the Independent and no doubt are a fan of Laura Kuenssberg and the BBC. This gives you a very one sided view of the subject heavily tainted by their bias.
You seem to think we need to stay to have a voice albeit the one we have had has done little to stem the tide of federalism that has overtaken the E.U. If you believe that having the continent run by a conglomerate in Brussels whose strings are being pulled by the German government at vast expense to us is a good thing as do the quisling fraternity currently led by Rudd and Hammond at the behest of the likes of Soros,Murdoch and on a lesser scale Branson then I don't think you are seeing the whole picture. You worry about inflation caused by the value of the pound.This is exassipated by the constant sniping from your side of the media and the likes of Carney at the BOE. The more they moan the more the markets see disunity the worse it gets.It's as if they wish to create this effect purely to prove their point.If they are so good at finance surely it's time to use their expertise to get on board and start forward thinking . Don't be led these people are in it for their own ends ,either financially or in the case of Blair politically.
Try looking for positives ,they are there ,you just need to see both sides of the argument.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 am
Rob,you obviously read the FT and the Independent and no doubt are a fan of Laura Kuenssberg and the BBC. This gives you a very one sided view of the subject heavily tainted by their bias.
You seem to think we need to stay to have a voice albeit the one we have had has done little to stem the tide of federalism that has overtaken the E.U. If you believe that having the continent run by a conglomerate in Brussels whose strings are being pulled by the German government at vast expense to us is a good thing as do the quisling fraternity currently led by Rudd and Hammond at the behest of the likes of Soros,Murdoch and on a lesser scale Branson then I don't think you are seeing the whole picture. You worry about inflation caused by the value of the pound.This is exassipated by the constant sniping from your side of the media and the likes of Carney at the BOE. The more they moan the more the markets see disunity the worse it gets.It's as if they wish to create this effect purely to prove their point.If they are so good at finance surely it's time to use their expertise to get on board and start forward thinking . Don't be led these people are in it for their own ends ,either financially or in the case of Blair politically.
Try looking for positives ,they are there ,you just need to see both sides of the argument.
no only a few online articles to get a different perspective.
only paper i buy is the SUN on Saturdays for the football and racing pullout.

like I have said I dont think the EU is a great organisation but we are not really dictated to by them and never have been.
once we leave the EU you will realise this. then we will see them proper bully us, and we will have to go along with them because we will need their trade deals.

as for the BOE moaning, well course they are because they can see the damage it is and will do to the economy :roll:

I only comment on this thread because you lot are the only people I now know that still seem to think that Brexit is a good idea.
everyone else I know either knew it was a ridiculous idea in the first place or have now admitted that they were wrong.