The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

nut flush gooner

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by nut flush gooner »

Herd wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 pm
If you've been ill and in hospital and have had to recover then I'm genuinely sorry . I wouldn't wish illness on my real enemies let alone a fellow gooner who I've had silly spats with .
I hope you are recovering and getting better for you and your families sake.
Since you asked I got my degree in later life ,left schooling at a level/ond stage as I supported myself leaving home at 18 and my passion was Arsenal and went everywhere . I got in to the rougher parts of life because when I was young Arsenals away support was woeful in the extreme. Going away was dangerous and you would often get picked off by vultures . I counted 87 people at west brom ffs and our so called leader and his pals left us at half time,30 odd terrified kids ,Imagine that .I got us out but Id had enough . . I don't like violence ,never have but I like it even less when its done to me.So I started running coaches for the youngsters of which I was one . Our little group had black guys who would routinely be picked on by OB and racist fans and didn't like to travel ,it was that bad ,plus, Turks, Greeks, Nepalese Irish and English . We took no shit and yes that did lead to more than 1 fracas but that's life . By the early 80's things changed and our away support grew enough to stop doing them. I use the moniker because the Herd grew out of those lads some of whom were 14 at the time. Many so called normals, Arsenal people who used to go away in those dark days were very grateful because we took the heat off them ,and we took them back to the station or got them on buses b4 we left if things got rough.
A large amount of those guys went on to do good things with their lives ,and nearly all have kids who they made dam sure would never get involved in such shit .I have 2 sons who both went to uni, they have never been in any trouble of any sort .
I have taken exception to your arrogance and blindness ,but I have never said I know the answers to what is a very complicated issue but I do believe in the long term we are better of out because of the corrupt structure of the Eu juggernaut as it now stands and have done for years. To get involved in a real discussion its easier to do in person , posting bits n bobs on tinternet wont do and as Ive found out only entrenches peoples positions.
I disagree with a lot of my pals on Brexit and Wenger but we still love each other and respect our different views .
I like you are very worried about the current mess since the referendum and we could well suffer for years if our idiot politicians screw it up. In the past our country was run by civil servant mandarins who would ease and temper the drastic effects of silly ideological politicians but nowadays government's use consultants whose only aim is to get rich at our expense ! They certainly aren't doing a good job . Get well and be lucky !
I am fully aware of what it was like growing up as an Arsenal fan in the 70/80s just chose not got get involved in what was going on in those days. Having an Arsenal fan killed by the ICF meant that I went to a lot less football games when I was younger but I am sure it was like that for a lot of kids. By the time I started work and had my own money to do what I wanted, I had a season ticket from 1988 until this present day. I remember terrace culture, and whilst I don't approve of causing trouble I do accept a lot of what Arsenal fans did in those days was in self defence.

Going onto the EU referendum, it's going down as just about the biggest fuck up in modern times in my opinion. It's all very well blaming politicians (and yes the Tories are making a pigs ear out of this), but the people voted so accountability needs to be shared.

Economics aside the Europeans are now playing the Ireland card in terms of hard borders, which to me is a bit below the belt given the amount of time it took to get harmony in Northern Ireland. However, you can in a way see where they are coming from, we want control of our borders therefore this shouldn't be any different. But it is, and they really are turning the screw by suggesting NI should adhere to free movement of people/customs etc. They are pretty much saying that NI and Rep of Ireland should become one and the same. I am not so sure the DUP are/will very happy about that. Whilst I don't want to sound sensationalist, it could unravel all the work that lead to peace in NI following the Good Friday Agreement.

The worst thing about the referendum is that it has divided the country at all levels, never mind about the consequences of leaving the EU our country has taken a seriously backward step.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

As I have mentioned before...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... dairy-boss

no doubt this will be laughed at yet again, but it will be a reality in the next couple of years.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

flash gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 am
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4924264/t ... ade-talks/

so we are going to pay the EU about £40 billion just to start talking to them.
I always wondered what "taking back control" would look like :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rexit-vote
a pity that so many people were conned into voting for Brexit by the Russians.
one reason why there should be a 2nd referendum :rubchin:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 am
flash gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 am
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4924264/t ... ade-talks/

so we are going to pay the EU about £40 billion just to start talking to them.
I always wondered what "taking back control" would look like :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rexit-vote
a pity that so many people were conned into voting for Brexit by the Russians.
one reason why there should be a 2nd referendum :rubchin:
So how did 48% manage to see through this at the time!..... :lol:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

The Russians are coming,last time I heard that was in the 50/60's around Kennedy's demise. Seems to be following the American anti Trump hysteria.
Come back McCarthy all is forgiven.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Oh those Russians ,the convenient scapegoat for all our ills ,we must have learnt that wheeze from the less than fragrant Hilary Clinton.
Still made me chuckle Rob ,I'm laid up with man flu and almost spilt my very hot lemsip over my silk smoking jacket !
I'm surprised Wenger hasn't tried that one special circumstances indeed Russians unsettling our team spirit ,which is very strong normally !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

this is probably the best Brexit story this week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -home.html

"Brexit may be 'the moment we finally failed as a great nation and became a second or third tier nation'"

"We became an old people's home that couldn't pay for itself"

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Ere we go, Obamanesque statement from another major ELITIST, my life already!....

Brexit: Goldman Sachs chief Lloyd Blankfein suggests second vote

nut flush gooner

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:04 pm
Ere we go, Obamanesque statement from another major ELITIST, my life already!....

Here we go back to the fashionable elitist claptrap. Nigel Farage should copyright that word, he'd make a fortune.

One thing I have never seen before is a reference to a black US president in the same sentence. Given America's history it does seem just a tad out of context imo.

With regards to Lloyd Blankfein he was born in the Bronx district of New York (yes I looked it up) and was housed in the equivalent of our social housing in the UK, so hardly a silver spoon in his mouth from birth it would appear. He didn't go to any preparatory school but ended up in Harvard which to me signifies someone who studied hard to better his/his families standing. Just because he said there should be a second referendum that doesn't make him elitist. This is a classic example of a brexiteer not doing his homework, now where have we seen that before? Sometimes it's best not to rely on rags like the Daily Mail etc to form our opinions.

Given Brexit is a right royal fuckup a second vote wouldn't be such a bad idea. Perhaps the hardcore brexiteers are scared the more moderate amongst their ranks might just realise the errors of their previous vote.

It's not happening though, so we just have to make the best out of the mess we have got ourselves into. Slipping down the growth ranking of the G7 doesn't sit well with me. Right now mainland Europe having navigated a few bullets in various elections earlier this year is now showing strong economic fundamentals. Good time to leave the club ehhh.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Here we go back to the fashionable elitist claptrap. Nigel Farage should copyright that word, he'd make a fortune.

One thing I have never seen before is a reference to a black US president in the same sentence. Given America's history it does seem just a tad out of context imo.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that Obama (like all US politicians) is part of the political and social elite. He was born to mixed race parents in Hawaii, hardly a street kid from South Central LA, his dad was a Kenyan senior government economist, his mom was an anthropologist, and he attended a private college preparatory school and both Columbia University and Harvard Law School... Socially and even culturally he is not widely accepted as being "black" (with everything that word can entail in the US) by a lot of the poor black people in that country.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Obama (like all US politicians) is part of the political and social elite. He was born to mixed race parents in Hawaii, hardly a street kid from South Central LA, his dad was a Kenyan senior government economist, his mom was an anthropologist, and he attended a private college preparatory school and both Columbia University and Harvard Law School... Socially and even culturally he is not widely accepted as being "black" (with everything that word can entail in the US) by a lot of the poor black people in that country.
Nut 'flushed' big time :high5:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Dare not comment on Obama's heritage as I am xenophobic with underlying racist tendencies apparently.
However there does seem to be a correlation between the arguments against Trump and the globalism of the E.U supporters who have hijacked the whole process into one of finance tactically avoiding the morality of the ever growing superstate's intransigence on our doorstep.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Absolutely, Elitism is half of the troubles on this globe and Lloyd should fuck off to Frankfurt as he keeps threatening!...

nut flush gooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

WTF!!! How does that make him part of the elite this is hilarious. Just because your parents are educated and have professional jobs, then send you to a private school that doesn't make you part of the elite.

One of my best friends is an accountant has one son, sent him to private school and then onto the London School of Economics. Both parents despite being in better than average paid jobs where positively skint for the duration of his education. Does that make him or them part of the "elite" or just wanting to better themselves. Somehow I don't think so.

So Obama was brought up in Hawaii, it's hardly the most wealthy part of the USA is it.

What I really want to hear from the Irish is how stupid they think the British are for leaving the EU. It was positively obvious when Boris Johnson met the Irish Foreign Secretary this morning.

http://www.thejournal.ie/boris-johnson- ... 9-Nov2017/

Sorting out the border with Northern Ireland is going to be fun isn't it. Never mind the potential ramifications if they get it wrong.
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.