The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

nut flush gooner

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by nut flush gooner »

Been pretty quiet on the Brexit front lately, but wow today things have exploded back into action.

Good old Nigel Farage says there should be a second referendum, purely on membership of the EU. I was previously against a second referendum but I genuinely believe there are many people who voted for Brexit for whatever reason and now regret it. Bring it on, surely we can't make the same mistake twice.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Chances are that there will be a second vote , I think that this has been May's plan all along as she never wanted to leave and neither do so many people that have their private wealth to protect . The situation has been engineered to create pitfalls all the way. The danger for them is that instead of dealing with business people who probably would have reached agreements , they have dealt with intransigent political idealists who have been exposed to the general public most of whom did not know who Barnier , Juncker , VerHofstadt et al were. Even Merkyl was just a passing name and Macron had not been invented.
It could be that the vote to leave has hardened , basically Farage said that the case for a second referendum is hardening and that maybe it was a neccessary evil to kill the subject once and for all, "" NIGEL FARAGE has come out in support of holding a second Brexit referendum, insisting another vote will put to bed the “ridiculous” anti-Brexit arguments ""he did not say he welcomed it despite the way the pro remain media and politicos have portrayed it. He as I do hoped that leave would and should win again.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Another high street retailer that for various reasons high rates , overheads , smaller footfalls on high streets as councils make it more difficult to get into town centres losing out to online shopping . Goes to the wall. It's a fact of retailing . Glad I have now retired.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 am
Another high street retailer that for various reasons high rates , overheads , smaller footfalls on high streets as councils make it more difficult to get into town centres losing out to online shopping . Goes to the wall. It's a fact of retailing . Glad I have now retired.
OneBardEwok brought down New Look??!! :shock:

:D :wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I think we'll end up with a second referendum.

The first one was too speculative. Nobody knew what it really meant. A second one would be with far more information and an actual known outcome. I personally think that we're heading toward a deliberately orchestrated 'Hard Brexit'. I think then that the new referendum be a choice of that or remain. They'll be hoping that the Hard Brexit option scares many people into voting to remain.

I have no idea what the outcome would be if we were to have another today though. I think there were a lot of people on both sides of the debate that didn't vote last time. I think the reality of the situation would likely encourage everyone to get off the arses and vote. It would be interesting to see that outcome then.

The only thing I would predict about a new referendum is this:-

Nobody that voted to remain would now flip and vote to leave. I'm not so sure I could say the same for those that voted to leave. I know a few that are since regretting the decision but also know some that didn't vote but would vote leave if it happened again.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 pm

The first one was too speculative. Nobody knew what it really meant. A second one would be with far more information and an actual known outcome. I personally think that we're heading toward a deliberately orchestrated 'Hard Brexit'. I think then that the new referendum be a choice of that or remain. They'll be hoping that the Hard Brexit option scares many people into voting to remain.

I have no idea what the outcome would be if we were to have another today though. I think there were a lot of people on both sides of the debate that didn't vote last time. I think the reality of the situation would likely encourage everyone to get off the arses and vote. It would be interesting to see that outcome then.

Nobody that voted to remain would now flip and vote to leave. I'm not so sure I could say the same for those that voted to leave. I know a few that are since regretting the decision but also know some that didn't vote but would vote leave if it happened again.
Remain would win by more than leave did last time in my opinion. The young vote didn't turn out for the original referendum, and I can see Labour throwing their weight behind a remain campaign which in turn would secure millions of young remain votes. Farage & Johnson will be outed as liars and a lot of moderate brexiteers will change their minds.

The debate would be much more transparent prior to a second referendum. Farage made a huge boo boo the other day.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Or maybe not !

Perhaps the way that the whole thing has been handled both sides of the channel might just sway things to leave.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

You don't know what you're doing,
You don't know what you're doing...

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 pm
SPUDMASHER wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Remain would win by more than leave did last time in my opinion. The young vote didn't turn out for the original referendum, and I can see Labour throwing their weight behind a remain campaign which in turn would secure millions of young remain votes. Farage & Johnson will be outed as liars and a lot of moderate brexiteers will change their minds.

The debate would be much more transparent prior to a second referendum. Farage made a huge boo boo the other day.
I seriously hope we get another referendum, people are much more informed than they were 2 years ago. Remain would win by a landslide too IMO

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Carillion has gone under, and that's before Brexit!.... 8)
Big job losses and quite a lot of migrant labour involved too....

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i don't believe there will be a 2nd referendum, why should there be ?
if Remain won then the Leavers would quite rightly say lets have a 3rd one! :lol:

Farage mentioned the 2nd referendum to try and wake up the Leavers so that a positive message about Brexit can be heard again.
I think he is right - after all look at the comments on here, the Leavers can't argue much more than saying Brexit should happen because it is the will of the people :roll: I have been thinking similar for some time - why are Leavers not getting really annoyed that Brexit has not happened and is increasingly looking like it will be watered down?

of course from my point of view I am quite happy that no one is sticking up for a hard Brexit - the whole thing is a disaster in the making, and I still think that Brexit can and will be dropped without the need for a 2nd referendum

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

VOTE LEAVE PEOPLE

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Brightonnxtround wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 pm
VOTE LEAVE PEOPLE
you have already done that :D