The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

NickF

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:33 am
I only comment on this thread because you lot are the only people I now know that still seem to think that Brexit is a good idea.
everyone else I know either knew it was a ridiculous idea in the first place or have now admitted that they were wrong.
How much is that down to scaremongering by the press and good old-fashioned bullying by remoaners? I lost count of the number of times it was said you're a racist if you voted to leave. Generally, as with Arsenal, I accept not everyone has the same opinion but there does seem a lot of "i'm right, your wrong" is this debate (speaking generally not singling anyone specific on here).

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I try to keep informed of all angles but one thing sticks out to me is that whilst we argue amongst ourselves we are easy meat for Barnier and co. I don't want to wrap myself in a flag and sing land of hope and glory but we are meant to be negotiating and the financially and poltical motivations of some are undermining our position. Sometimes the old mother's warning that if you can't say anything nice then shut up,seems quite apt.

Gunner Rob

Re:

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:12 pm
I try to keep informed of all angles but one thing sticks out to me is that whilst we argue amongst ourselves we are easy meat for Barnier and co. I don't want to wrap myself in a flag and sing land of hope and glory but we are meant to be negotiating and the financially and poltical motivations of some are undermining our position. Sometimes the old mother's warning that if you can't say anything nice then shut up,seems quite apt.
that's it keep quiet, don't question the government :lol:
by the way you do realise that the rest of Europe is really not bothered about Brexit and just look at us now with amusement and pity?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I don't think That's true , I spend a fair amount of time with many European and Scandinavian friends .Like the uk they are split on the E. U. some driven by finance others by quality of life but one thing they seem to envy us on is that we had the right to express our feelings. Take Catalonia at the moment it's not a given that they will vote for independence but it is a fact that they want the ability to vote on it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I know it's an old cliche, but I actually genuinely lost the will to live whilst reading that. :yawn: :tumbleweed:

:lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 am
I know it's an old cliche, but I actually genuinely lost the will to live whilst reading that. :yawn: :tumbleweed:

:lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Just trying to be fair

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Everyone better hope that this article 127 or whatever happens

the alternative is utter madness
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... ommentsDiv

I suppose Brexit will be ok though if

- you dont need to use the NHS
- you dont need to have a job
- you dont need to buy food

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 am

and this is what I mentioned earlier about scaremongering...

Herd

Post by Herd »

Gunner Rob wrote:

Another scare story what a surprise ,usual bollocks from the usual suspects !

SLEEEEEP

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

NickF wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

its not scaremongering though is it. It is reality!

I can now see why the AKBs are still taken in by Wenger.
Brexit is just a massive con, and it is amazing that some people are still in denial over that.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 pm
NickF wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Brexit is just a massive con, and it is amazing that some people are still in denial over that.
Plenty of people from outside of the EU live and work here now. EU membership is not a prerequisite.
Why should it be anymore difficult after Brexit?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

NickF wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 pm
NickF wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Plenty of people from outside of the EU live and work here now. EU membership is not a prerequisite.
Why should it be anymore difficult after Brexit?
its all about trading deals - currently everything is interlinked

once we leave the EU we have to sort our own deals out and as the article suggests that will be very difficult.
therefore our growth is likely to be very slow in the future.

its like dropping from the Premier League into the Championship - you become poorer. end of.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Federalisation does not seem to work very well, look at America they've been trying to get it right for nigh on 250 years and still can't achieve it in a single country, but Brussels in its arrogance thinks that 27/8 countries will get it right in 50 or so :rubchin:

I have no interest in us joining the Euro, submitting to a single European Finance minister, being part of a single Army, electing a President whos cultural background will be based in the country he has grown up in and will be unfamiliar with the nuances of each individual countries needs, a centralised taxation system which is supposedly going to balance out the differences between all the involved countries economies.

Our own politicians struggle too get it right after 310 years with 2 countries a principality and a province involved but for some mystical reason Remainers think that magically Brussels is going to get it right with 27/8 countries, with diverse populaces, cultural differences, language differences, completely different economies, taxation, ways of paying for health systems, different levels of military spending, different education levels and standards, different pensions systems etc etc etc.

The direction of the EU towards complete centralisation worries me no end, i happen to like the diversity of Europe and its peoples and see no need for this 'ever closer Union' that Brussels strives towards. If we'd stuck to an economic partnership, been a lot more careful with allowing new countries who barely made the criteria to enter and concentrated on mutual support for each other many of the current issues arising across Europe would likely have been avoided or at least been less damaging.

The politicians in Brussels have a self fulfilling necessity to encourage the advancement of the EU without it they'd be out of jobs, so excuse me if i'm a bit cynical over their unbiased opinion on what is good for the peoples of Europe. I don't trust a word that comes out of our own politicans mouths so i sure as hell am not about to believe the ones in Brussels are any better or more truthful or that they have the best interest of each and everyone of us at heart :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Remoaners have no answer to the expanding federalist juggernaut that is the EU .
Turkey Armenia Georgia were all on the radar until brexit ,imagine that .
Our NHS ,social housing, welfare budgets are screwed because of the massive rise in immigration from the eu countries ,Germany protected themselves from it pre expansion by saying no welfare for 7-9 years for new immigrants' from the eu but we just let them in and let them sign on.
We have also suffered because of the curse of the euro .
Germany bribed countries to join it knowing they couldn't meet the criteria set so they cooked the books.
lent countries billions for infrastructure which disappeared down the contractors pockets .
when they couldn't repay the loans we had to help bail the countries out and now their people suffer austerity forced by Germany.
Remoaners conveniently forget that the economies of Portugal,ireland,spain,italy Greece ,Cyprus are fooked !
negotiating with brussels piecemeal is a waste of time ,walk out first don't pay them a penny and then deal !