Teachers in meltdown

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
northbank123

Re: Teachers in meltdown

Post by northbank123 »

For public sector workers who really have a hard time and are unappreciated look at nurses. Horrendous job to do and a package and lifestyle that doesn't really make up for it, added to being talked at like shit for most of the working day.

This is borne out by how big a struggle it is to persuade people into the profession despite very modest academic requirements - contrast this with the huge queue of people wanting to study medicine or do their PGCE despite going into a career with an apparently awful remuneration package.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Teaching used to be a good, enjoyable career/job...Now...!? They are all expected to become automatons all teaching the exact same thing the exact same way - No room for individuality and creative expression - The education system is in a fuckin' mess all because of the 'governments' (all parties) insistence on interfering and setting a (Low) bench mark of uniform commonality - No wonder the schools are producing banal, un-thinking, unimaginative, morons - who at best can only hope for a job in Call centre or McDonalds...Teachers have been blamed for the lowering of intelligance in schools but it is anything but. They have been dis-empowered by the varous governments who use the Offstedwankers - A significant number of whom have NEVER taught themselves..all pen pushing WANKERRS - To go into the schools to 'assess them!

Ofsted = Keeeunnttsss :evil:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

OneBardGooner wrote:Teaching used to be a good, enjoyable career/job...Now...!? They are all expected to become automatons all teaching the exact same thing the exact same way - No room for individuality and creative expression - The education system is in a fuckin' mess all because of the 'governments' (all parties) insistence on interfering and setting a (Low) bench mark of uniform commonality - No wonder the schools are producing banal, un-thinking, unimaginative, morons - who at best can only hope for a job in Call centre or McDonalds...Teachers have been blamed for the lowering of intelligance in schools but it is anything but. They have been dis-empowered by the varous governments who use the Offstedwankers - A significant number of whom have NEVER taught themselves..all pen pushing WANKERRS - To go into the schools to 'assess them!

Having worked in a call centre and McDonalds they give an individual skills a person needs to survive in the workplace, something schools have failed to do for the last 20 years, that is why career teachers (those who have never left educational institutions) cannot take the demands of a results motivated business ( yes business) and deal with unhappy customers...sorry...parents. Ofsted measure the schools, they do not put pressure on the teachers, it is the head teachers that put pressure on the teachers as they want the best results for their own ego, not necessarily the best education for the children, who are trained to pass tests.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:Teaching used to be a good, enjoyable career/job...Now...!? They are all expected to become automatons all teaching the exact same thing the exact same way - No room for individuality and creative expression - The education system is in a fuckin' mess all because of the 'governments' (all parties) insistence on interfering and setting a (Low) bench mark of uniform commonality - No wonder the schools are producing banal, un-thinking, unimaginative, morons - who at best can only hope for a job in Call centre or McDonalds...Teachers have been blamed for the lowering of intelligance in schools but it is anything but. They have been dis-empowered by the varous governments who use the Offstedwankers - A significant number of whom have NEVER taught themselves..all pen pushing WANKERRS - To go into the schools to 'assess them!

Having worked in a call centre and McDonalds they give an individual skills a person needs to survive in the workplace, something schools have failed to do for the last 20 years, that is why career teachers (those who have never left educational institutions) cannot take the demands of a results motivated business ( yes business) and deal with unhappy customers...sorry...parents. Ofsted measure the schools, they do not put pressure on the teachers, it is the head teachers that put pressure on the teachers as they want the best results for their own ego, not necessarily the best education for the children, who are trained to pass tests.
This is a major problem in modern education systems. Kids are not educated, they are taught how to pass tests.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

easiest profession out there. 4 months off a year, must be nice

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:easiest profession out there. 4 months off a year, must be nice
So why aren't you doing it then? Not clever enough?

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Chippy wrote:
Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:easiest profession out there. 4 months off a year, must be nice
So why aren't you doing it then? Not clever enough?
I hate kids.

My room mate is a teacher. Works 7 hours a day, gets randoms days off all the time due to pointless "holidays", gets 4 or 5 days off each winter due to cold weather or snow days, gets 3 weeks off for winter break, gets a week off for spring break, and gets 3.5 months off for summer break. But gets paid for all of it because it's a salaried position.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

have you read this thread? it's a fucking nightmare, just having a long holiday doesn't make it easy. christ, its an absolute river of shit, the effort teachers have to put into each lesson, the stress they are under is huge.

i have my sympathies with them.

easiest profession out there is surely a sports interviewer.

"how important were those three points"?

"do you like scoring goals"?

"duh....are you happy you won the football game...duuuh"

fucking charlatans. :evil:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
have you read this thread? it's a fucking nightmare, just having a long holiday doesn't make it easy. christ, its an absolute river of shit, the effort teachers have to put into each lesson, the stress they are under is huge.

i have my sympathies with them.

easiest profession out there is surely a sports interviewer.

"how important were those three points"?

"do you like scoring goals"?

"duh....are you happy you won the football game...duuuh"

fucking charlatans. :evil:
Yeah there are probably "easier" jobs, but the trade off for the time off is worth it. I work 45 hours a week and I get a whopping 40 hours of vacation time a YEAR. 1 week a year. Compared to 4/4.5 months off.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:Who said I like my girlfriend? Stop spreading libel.

Teaching is a lot less stressful job than mine, likewise plenty of other people's job on here. Despite my overall views on the doctor dispute they work fucking hard in an unbelievably difficult and stressful context, ldcirous to chuck it in the same bracket as teaching. Can't believe anybody would think doctors aren't under immense strain, i juSt think they're already compensated far better than they suggest.

And if employment terms and conditions were the same in the private sector I think there would be a tremendous leap In people going off with long-term stress (once they figured they could basically get 12 months paid at any point with zero career progression impact) and early retirement (with outrageous pension, early retirement provisions and discretionary pay-offs sanctioned by people who don't have an ongoing stake in the financial wellbeing of their employer)...
I know we've been down this old road before but if even HALF what you say about the UK public service in that 2nd paragraph is true then I am working in the wrong country!!

12 months off sick whilst being paid?!! :shock: Are you sure that is accurate? Seems excessive. In Oireland it's a maximum of 3 months on full pay in a rolling 12-month period, followed by a maximum of 3 months on half pay. The length of time you can be paid sick leave for is subject to an overall maximum of 183 days of paid sick leave. You can't have more than 183 days (6 months) of paid sick leave in a rolling 4-year period.

You cannot go for promotion here unless you can demonstrate continued effective service tied into PMDS ratings and sick leave. That promotion is not rewarded on merit or managerial approval either; you have to sit 3 online grade relevant exams, 2 more verification exams, an E-Tray job simulation exam, a presentation and an interview. then you have to serve a year's probation at your new grade and will be reverted if your PMDS rating isn't high enough (again tied into sick leave).

Early retirement here means a partial pension. Added to this is the fact that public servants in Oireland are paid less than their grade equivalent in the private sector, do not get paid bonuses of any kind and often work extra unpaid hours as most departments do not sanction overtime payments.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Who said I like my girlfriend? Stop spreading libel.

Teaching is a lot less stressful job than mine, likewise plenty of other people's job on here. Despite my overall views on the doctor dispute they work fucking hard in an unbelievably difficult and stressful context, ldcirous to chuck it in the same bracket as teaching. Can't believe anybody would think doctors aren't under immense strain, i juSt think they're already compensated far better than they suggest.

And if employment terms and conditions were the same in the private sector I think there would be a tremendous leap In people going off with long-term stress (once they figured they could basically get 12 months paid at any point with zero career progression impact) and early retirement (with outrageous pension, early retirement provisions and discretionary pay-offs sanctioned by people who don't have an ongoing stake in the financial wellbeing of their employer)...
I know we've been down this old road before but if even HALF what you say about the UK public service in that 2nd paragraph is true then I am working in the wrong country!!

12 months off sick whilst being paid?!! :shock: Are you sure that is accurate? Seems excessive. In Oireland it's a maximum of 3 months on full pay in a rolling 12-month period, followed by a maximum of 3 months on half pay. The length of time you can be paid sick leave for is subject to an overall maximum of 183 days of paid sick leave. You can't have more than 183 days (6 months) of paid sick leave in a rolling 4-year period.

You cannot go for promotion here unless you can demonstrate continued effective service tied into PMDS ratings and sick leave. That promotion is not rewarded on merit or managerial approval either; you have to sit 3 online grade relevant exams, 2 more verification exams, an E-Tray job simulation exam, a presentation and an interview. then you have to serve a year's probation at your new grade and will be reverted if your PMDS rating isn't high enough (again tied into sick leave).

Early retirement here means a partial pension. Added to this is the fact that public servants in Oireland are paid less than their grade equivalent in the private sector, do not get paid bonuses of any kind and often work extra unpaid hours as most departments do not sanction overtime payments.

Sadly that is true, and it is worse than that. I don't agree with it. I think it's a local authority directive.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

It's not true for everywhere in the public sector and that is obviously an extreme example - although I do know of a few occasions where local authority staff have been off with stress for 12 months and made a full return to work on the exact day when their contractual sick pay would retire.

Like I said there are plenty of hard-working people and the pressure on the people at the top of these public sector institutions is absolutely immense. But taking teachers as an example how often are teachers in the public sector 'performance managed' out or dismissed on capability grounds due to ill health without a near endless wait? Believe me it happens in the education private sector.

You can't really (explicitly) use sick leave as a consideration for promotion (or redundancy etc) in this country because it is asking for a disability discrimination claim.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:Image

nuff sed
:barscarf:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Early retirement here means a partial pension. Added to this is the fact that public servants in Oireland are paid less than their grade equivalent in the private sector, do not get paid bonuses of any kind and often work extra unpaid hours as most departments do not sanction overtime payments.[/quote]

Sadly that is true, and it is worse than that. I don't agree with it. I think it's a local authority directive.[/quote]

Actually, just remembered it's 6 months full pay,then 6 months half pay.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Ask the military about shit pay and conditions, then compare it to teachers and doctors..... but you know it's ok for doctors and teachers to strike as most of the places they work are like battlefields but it's illegal for the military to strike of course as they all volunteered for it :banghead:

AFPRB sets the wages for the military a bunch of MPs, Civil Servants and Senior officers none of whom have any vested interest :roll:

Oh and i forgot the General Public have little to no vested interest in the military so it's no use as a votes winner...... :rubchin: