Turkey Coup

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Nos89

Turkey Coup

Post by Nos89 »

Blimey a military coup happening in Turkey right now...thats opening the door to Islamic State...

Red Snapper

Re: Turkey Coup

Post by Red Snapper »

Apparently it's been swiftly put down. A helicopter has already landed in Greece containing some of the protagonists who are asking for political asylum.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Red Snapper wrote:Apparently it's been swiftly put down. A helicopter has already landed in Greece containing some of the protagonists who are asking for political asylum.
They will be living in Britain within the week. :D

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Erdogan has been slowly bringing Turkey back to the Muslim belief. Ataturk led the country to have a more western outlook but ever so slowly laws are being passed that reassert the teachings of the imams. At least that's what I am told by a friend that lives in Antalya . First hand knowledge however I have none.

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

A11M11 wrote:Erdogan has been slowly bringing Turkey back to the Muslim belief. Ataturk led the country to have a more western outlook but ever so slowly laws are being passed that reassert the teachings of the imams. At least that's what I am told by a friend that lives in Antalya . First hand knowledge however I have none.
The Turks want to join the EU somehow Iam coming to the opinion that maybe we are better off out.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Usually in military coups the Military want to crack down and formulate a tougher regime, seems in Turkey the military that did rebel were against the reintroduction of the Muslim state..
I'm no expert but the idea of a religious run state on the edge of Europe with designs on membership of the EU is worrying.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Sums the bloke up really that he called on people to come out to the streets to resist the uprising whilst there were tanks roaming around Ankara and Istanbul.

Civilian bloodshed is a non-concern for this power-crazed despot as long as it consolidates his position.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Discussion on the radio today between some intelligence analysts saying it may have been a false flag event that he used to flush out those opposed to him, that is very worrying if true.

I found it hard to believe whilst it was unfolding that he was 'overseas' but was back on the ground within a few hours to garner support, even in an emergency it still takes time to organise a safe return to your country especially when the Presidents security is paramount.

It all seems very fishy to me especially when there were supposedly only a few thousand involved in the coup attempt but 6-8000 have been rounded up already and thousands more police suspended.

None of us really know the ins and outs of what is going on in Turkey but he is guiding the country away from the principles and obligations required to join the EU but still insists he wants join it... :rubchin:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

I flew back from Turkey the day it all kicked off, me and the missus were a little concerned but all was good.

I have been going to Turkey on and off for the last 16 years and have had amazing holidays there, I met the owner of hotel on my second visit and have been back to his hotel several times and also meet up with him and have meals (even when not staying at his hotel), he takes me out on his yacht and is a gentleman, also met up with him in London last year.

An intelligent man who speaks several languages and studied in Oxford, he also has a place in Istanbul where he has invited my family, he has been concerned for some time now about the changes in Turkey and how the country will suffer for it, sad really because it's a beautiful place with much to see and do.

Hope they sort this all out quickly without any more bloodshed.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Shouldn't "coup" be spelled "coop"? :rubchin:

:D :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Shouldn't "coup" be spelled "coop"? :rubchin:

:lol:

Ah, wrong topic then :?

They are a very good store, I have one down the road from me, good offers on wine 8) :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:

Ah, wrong topic then :?

They are a very good store, I have one down the road from me, good offers on wine 8) :wink:

I thought he was good in "The Hangover" actually. Not so good in "American Sniper" but he nailed it in "The Hangover".

:wink:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

No, it should be spelt "coo" and even then it's not the right word. Pigeons coo, turkeys gobble.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:

No, it should be spelt "coo" and even then it's not the right word. Pigeons coo, turkeys gobble.
You can't call them "turkeys" dude. They are "prostitutes".

:-P :wink:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

These things have a habit of blowing over. Trust me.
Things will return to normal as soon as Bernard Mathews gets his shit together.